Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Reload this Page >

Starter turns while ignition is off

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 11:12 PM
chuck25624
New User
chuck25624 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a 1986 F 150 stepide. 4 speed, 300 cid engine with a single bbl carburetor. The problem I am having is this. Every so often, after starting the engine, the starter will not disengage. When the ignition is turned OFF, the starter will still crank the motor. To get this to stop, I have to disconnect the battery. The truck then must sit for a while until the starter decides not to crank when I reconnect the battery (In know how stupid this sounds). The starter, battery and solenoid are all new. The neutral safety switch functions during initial start up. Anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2009, 12:31 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
defective solenoid.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
When it happens again, take the small red/blue wire off the solenoid, and then see if it still tries to crank. If it does, then the solenoid is bad. The red/blue wire is the 12v signal wire from the neutral safety to tell the solenoid to engage.

If you find the solenoid is bad, that is not unusual. It happens over and over lately, the solenoids they make now are junk. If you take that one back and get another, don't be surprised if it fails also. Some people have tried different brands, and most people find success with the motorcraft brand.

I personally believe they are skimping on the silver content on the contacts. The silver coating on the contacts keeps them from reacting with the oxygen in the air and welding themselves together. Silver is very expensive.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:42 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Yeah, THAT much silver must cost....WOW $.05!!!!!

Aside from that statement...I agree with the solenoid diagnosis.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
Yeah, THAT much silver must cost....WOW $.05!!!!!
OK.

Pretend you are a factory, and are going to make one million of those things over
the next month.

1,000,000 * $.05 = $50,000 - not chump change.