1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting options

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:31 PM
420CREW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Lighting options

Hey guys I just installed a new light bar from Choccolocco fab and now I am torn trying to find lights to put on it it will hold 4. I was considering two different sizes, but have not really decided on that matter. I would like to know what you have on your truck and also if you can post pictures. Thanks

Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM
420CREW
Senior User
bump.................

Old 10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Check out the 9" hid lights at harbor freight, they are the brightest thing out there, and only $99.00, all self contained.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 PM
420CREW
Senior User
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
Check out the 9" hid lights at harbor freight, they are the brightest thing out there, and only $99.00, all self contained.
Are those per light or per pair??

Old 10-04-2009, 08:23 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Per light, still way cheap compared to most things out there. Is your light bar bumper mounted or on the top of the truck?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would buy Hella fogs, a pair, and Hella "driving", a pair. Hella are plastic for the most part so they don't rust. Then the reflectors are about 7" or so and are designed very well. Were it me I'd buy two sets of the Hella 700 FF I think they are called. You'll have close in but spread lighting with the fogs and throw the beam out there with the driving lights. If you wire them right, independent of the trucks lights you'll have more than enough to drive through the woods or at speed through the desert. Just my $0.02 of course, but I've done both (at speed, and woods at night). The 700 replaced the 500. And, round always puts out better/more light than square.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
BTW, there are definitely more expensive and larger lights that put out more; however, unless you're actually racing at night I think you'll be very happy with the cost/quality you'll find in the Hellas.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 PM
420CREW
Senior User
Ford Superduty light bar push bar bumper NEW F250 F350:eBay Motors (item 160344601296 end time Sep-20-09 08:28:42 PDT)

This is my lightbar might I add that this is a very solid unit. It will hold 4 8" lights I am not looking to win races just want more light that is affordable.

"Ace BTW, there are definitely more expensive and larger lights that put out more; however, unless you're actually racing at night I think you'll be very happy with the cost/quality you'll find in the Hellas. "

Where is the best place to purchase them from?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
Well, you buy what suits your needs. Not everybody lives where I do, but I have 4 x 130 watt KC lights(2 long range & 2 wide beam) on the front of my truck that has priority over any others. I live out in the sticks and have tons of wildlife to deal with. The quicker you see them, the better off you BOTH will be.

Although these lights are NOT legal to use on the street, I do plan on putting some of those Hella's on as well, just for those nights traveling back 7 forth from town in the fog.

I have to admit, I love lights. I haven't had this truck very long, but by the time I get it going the way I want, it'll have 6 lights on the front, 2 lights pointing backwards(pulling trucks out) and a bed light(for toolbox usage).

Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
It's funny, but sometimes Walmart will carry the 500FF/700FF. The best prices I found though are from partsamerica, which was bought by OReilly's or something similar. If you put OReilly's auto parts or Shucks, Kragen or another place (I can't remember the name) you'll likely find O'Reillys (O'Reilly's bought them or is now the parent company). The thing I found was the local store has to match the online price, so what I do is search for the part I want and then take a screen shot of it into the shop and they match it. Saves 10 - 20% usually. What you'd want is the "FF" which means free-form. It's just a different design of the relector which transfers more of the light to usable. Usable light is what transfers from the bulb outward. The bulb is the ultimate light source, it is the light; however, it's not all the light that is projected forward, which is the light YOU need. The reflector design is what projects the light where you need it, so it's not just a matter of how much light the bulb produces but how the design of the light throws that light. Hellas are good lights regardless of which one you get, but the free form is the best bang for the buck in my opinion (less than $100 and you get a lot of light). I like them more than KC, IPC, etc for the money. However, if you really need a lot of light there are better ways of getting it, it's just A LOT more money for the better designs. It's sort of like 95% of the time the Hella 500 or 700FF will do the job, but if you're racing Baja don't even start at the 500/700, but jump straight to the $1000 - $5000 lighting set ups.

To get back to your question, Walmart has the 500FF sometimes for a good price, not the absolute best, but a good price.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
I just saw American Air's post. Just so you know, it's a matter of how you have the lights set up/wired. The Hellas are NOT legal to have on when you have your high beams on in the states where I've lived. I wire them that way though so I can run them whenever I want, with the low or high beams. I'd be running them "illegal" a lot of the time because here in Oregon we have a lot of deer to deal with, cows, elk and other animals too, so I don't really care so much whether I'm legal as to whether I'm safe. So, regardless of how you wire them, you'll want to make sure you know what's legal in your area.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 AM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it would be useful to know your goals for the lights and your budget.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
420CREW
Senior User
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rickf92592
I think it would be useful to know your goals for the lights and your budget.
Well I am a hunter I like to really get into remote areas whenever I can. I would like to have some distance lighting and also something for inclement weather. Being in Michigan the weather Changes fast you can have Fog and rain and snow sleet all in the same day at times So lights that cover the Gambit would be great. As far as Budget goes it is tight right now I am looking to spend aprox $300.00 at the most.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:52 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
If your on a budget, I don't think you can beat the Hella's at wally world. Get those now and put some KC's or something comparable on your wish list for Christmas

If your like me, the absolute BEST Christmas gift is something for your truck. If the family doesn't know what to get you, how do you expect to get that perfect gift? I would give them a link somewhere, part number or something to make it a no-brainer.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 420CREW
Well I am a hunter I like to really get into remote areas whenever I can. I would like to have some distance lighting and also something for inclement weather. Being in Michigan the weather Changes fast you can have Fog and rain and snow sleet all in the same day at times So lights that cover the Gambit would be great. As far as Budget goes it is tight right now I am looking to spend aprox $300.00 at the most.
That's good info,you probably don't need to see more than 1/4 mile at a time then.

I think you'll be disappointed with the Hella 500FF as they only have a 55W lamp. We used to put 100W lamps in them (500) but that was when they were steel.
KC Daylighters are within your budget (about $70.00 each in stainless) and are 130W halogen in both driving and spot beams.
I'd put two of each and switch them separately.

You can find them anywhere but here is one spot:
Off Road Warehouse - Lighting KC HiLiTES Daylighters

(no commercial interest in KC or ORW)

Quick Reply: Lighting options