1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

overdrive transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:09 PM
shelby1965367
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overdrive transmission

Hi, I have a 56 f100 that I purchased last july ,it has a rebuilt 223 six in it,3 spd stick with 3.92 rear axle.I want to know where I can get the necessary adapter kit to hookup a overdrive auto trans or a 5spd stick to the 223 six motor,also which gearboxes would be best to use? thanks,John

Old 09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You can buy a 3 spd overdrive transmission from that period and it will bolt directly to the bell housing you have now, and shift using your stock column shift. You need to make sure the overdrive transmission has an input shaft the same length as your current transmission and the same number of splines.

There will be some fairly simple electrical wiring, and perhaps shortening of the driveshaft. They are on e-bay every month or so and sell fro about $250-$400. If yo get one make sure you also get the electrical components with it. Two of those components (kick down switch and governor) are mechanical in nature and are not voltage dependent. Two (relay and solenoid) are voltage dependent. If you can not get 12 volt solenoid or Relay, yo ucan put a vol-ta-drop on the truck to supply 6 volt power to them and they will work just fine. I had that exact set-up on my 55 F-100.

Or there are lots of other options as far as transmissions.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
You can buy a 3 spd overdrive transmission from that period and it will bolt directly to the bell housing you have now, and shift using your stock column shift. You need to make sure the overdrive transmission has an input shaft the same length as your current transmission and the same number of splines.

There will be some fairly simple electrical wiring, and perhaps shortening of the driveshaft. They are on e-bay every month or so and sell fro about $250-$400. If yo get one make sure you also get the electrical components with it. Two of those components (kick down switch and governor) are mechanical in nature and are not voltage dependent. Two (relay and solenoid) are voltage dependent. If you can not get 12 volt solenoid or Relay, yo ucan put a vol-ta-drop on the truck to supply 6 volt power to them and they will work just fine. I had that exact set-up on my 55 F-100.

Or there are lots of other options as far as transmissions.

How well do they work Julie? I see one close to me but bad timing$$ I'm close to an antique junk yard I may be able to score one there ...doubtful. But if they are worth the effort I'll start looking for one. I hate to give up the column shift, even if I don;t keep i 100% original...

bob

Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I had one on my 55 F-100 behind a Mustang 289. It worked fantastic! It was reliable and provided the perfect gearing for the rear end I had.

As far as I know, they were very strong transmissions and overdrives (for being "light duty") and I had NO problems withteh 6 volt components operating on the 12 volt electrical system by using the Vol-ta-drop.

I drove that truck from Sunnyvale Ca. (southern San francisco Bay area) about 500 miles to San Diego and back about once a month for three years with no problems. Cruised at 75 on I-5 and did the "Grape Vine" each time (its a huge- 45 mile up hill drive from the Central Valley floor up over the San Bernardino Mt's into LA.

I loved that drive train combo! There were alot of options with the 6 speeds, and never heard a groan out of it. Freewheeling takes a little getting used to at the start.

You can use your column shift on any 3 speed automatic too. I'm using mine with my C6 in the 51. It's a fairly simple conversion. There's lots of good options. I'm a little surprised more guys haven't chimed in here - they will, hopefully!

Just FYI there are two full sets of th eelectrical components for sale on e-bay right now. There are always solenoids and kick down switches on there, but I haven't seen that many relays (but I think NAPA sells them too) the Governor and Solenoid should already be on th etransmission when you get it. Kick down switch is either under the gas pedal under the firewall or in some cases on the firewall at the throttle. The relays are mounted to the firewall. If you go to the junk yard to get one let me knwo and I'll post the pictures of these things so you will know what to look for.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:30 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The early fords / 55 and back / had 6 volt components , but are harder to find . A [ good] voltage drop will work .I have had three or four of them though the years and they will take a lot of abuse , I know from the years as a teenager in the fiftys and sixtys . they were behind Y-Blocks and bigger . I have one in my 56 fairlane now and it has not been treated with a lot of respect , works fine .