1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

F150 Dually?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Hometown Pride
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 Dually?

Or do the 16 inch rims all have the 8 bolt pattern. The reasom I ask is because I want to put on a set of 235 85 16 tires on it all for because of the E rating it comes with. On that note if I took a dually axle off a 1990 f350 could I bolt up to my driveshaft and the spring hangers. Thanks for any advice in advance.
If things line up and the police dont mind I would like turn my f150 into a dually.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
If you want a dually , go buy one. A f150 is stupid to make into a dually.
1st you would have a 8 lug pattern in the rear and 5 lug in the front.(2spares)
2nd There is no point in having a dually axle that is capable of carrying 4k lbs
and the springs have a hard enough time carring 1500lbs
3rd if you need weight carrying capacity more than a 15" tire can offer, you
need more truck than a f150
4th. Did i mention this is stupid?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
jeramy
Senior User
they do make E rated 15 inch tires. i put tons of them on while working at a tire shop.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
douglpr42
Tuned
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
a dually axle will play havoc with your fuel millage.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Hometown Pride
Senior User
I was going to use the springs off the 350 as well, I was wondering if the springs and driveshaft would line up. . If I did use the springs and axle it would boost the lift capacity. And as if it mattered I could put 8 bolt hubs on the front as well ? That would be another question though

Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
2wd or 4wd?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
jeramy
Senior User
why not just drive the 350?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
If you want a dually , go buy one. A f150 is stupid to make into a dually.
1st you would have a 8 lug pattern in the rear and 5 lug in the front.(2spares)
2nd There is no point in having a dually axle that is capable of carrying 4k lbs
and the springs have a hard enough time carring 1500lbs
3rd if you need weight carrying capacity more than a 15" tire can offer, you
need more truck than a f150
4th. Did i mention this is stupid?
I'm always amazed by how some people think a simple question warrants a hateful answer.

If I recall, there are dually conversion adapters available that convert single rear wheel vehicles to dual rear wheels. It's sort of like a wheel spacer, but a little different. I'm not sure if they're made for 5-lug vehicles though.

Also, you're not limited to a 15" rim. You could get some 16" wheels and get a different selection. But you'd want to make sure your wheels (current or new) are rated to carry the weight the new tires are rated for, as well as whether the rims can handle the air pressure the tire requires.

IMHO though, if you need to move a considerable amount of weight, I'd look at using that F350. Even after swapping out the axle and springs, you're still on a half-ton frame.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan
I'm always amazed by how some people think a simple question warrants a hateful answer.

If I recall, there are dually conversion adapters available that convert single rear wheel vehicles to dual rear wheels. It's sort of like a wheel spacer, but a little different. I'm not sure if they're made for 5-lug vehicles though.

Also, you're not limited to a 15" rim. You could get some 16" wheels and get a different selection. But you'd want to make sure your wheels (current or new) are rated to carry the weight the new tires are rated for, as well as whether the rims can handle the air pressure the tire requires.

IMHO though, if you need to move a considerable amount of weight, I'd look at using that F350. Even after swapping out the axle and springs, you're still on a half-ton frame.
Not a hateful answer. Just a thought out responce.

O one more thing for anyone thinking of using adapter to put 8 lug adapters on a 5 lug. they use 8 lug 9/16" studs for a reason on a dually, not 5 lug 1/2" studs like 1/2 ton

A little thought goes a long way

Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Hometown Pride
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hometown Pride
I was going to use the springs off the 350 as well, I was wondering if the leaf springs and driveshaft would line up. . If I did use the springs and axle it would boost the lift capacity. And as if it mattered I could put 8 bolt hubs on the front as well ? That would be another question though
Listen guys Im trying to stay away from the politics, all I want to know is if well its quoted above. The reason is I want better capacity, better tires, and better leafs springs.
Its not my 350 Its at the wreckers
Again. Will the spring eyes on the leaf springs line up with the spring hangers on my truck. And will the differential line up with the drive shaft. It is 2 wheel drive

Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
The adapters don't change the lug count. It was 8 and 8, or 5 and 5. As I said, I'm not sure if they sell 5-lug versions, I just recall seeing an ad for them once or twice.

EDIT: I would just get a tape measure and just check the lengths of the springs and the driveshafts. I figure there are several different factors that'd affect whether or not it'd work, like bed length, cab size, transmission, etc.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM
jeramy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hometown Pride
Listen guys Im trying to stay away from the politics, all I want to know is if well its quoted above. The reason is I want better capacity, better tires, and better leafs springs.
Its not my 350 Its at the wreckers
Again. Will the spring eyes on the leaf springs line up with the spring hangers on my truck. And will the differential line up with the drive shaft. It is 2 wheel drive
in that case my answer would have to be buy a tape measure.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
lol, there you go :P

Old 09-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Hometown Pride
Senior User
Yes your right a tape measure would work fine, if I was at the wrteckers right know, I was gonna go there with the kids tommorrow anyways, I guess this was a waste of time . Hopefully next time nobody answers unless they have an answer. peace.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
How about this:

I'll do some looking and see if I can find out the leaf spring lengths for these two trucks, and that will answer that question. Do you know what year the 350 is, or any other info about it?

As far as drive shafts, I can look, but since there are a number of different transmission, axle and frame combinations, it might be hard to say.

Quick Reply: F150 Dually?