1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a V10 owner in central OH

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:11 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohio has some pretty impressive hills if you ask me. go on down 77s to columbus pick up 75s to cinci.i think if i recall thats the hilly area of ohio. oh...btw im in akron OH

Old 09-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for a real world test of just what ur after there actualy was a online review done...

i cant remeber what site/magazine did it thou..

but it def. was discussed here at length..i remember the V10 actualy doing better then the diesel in certain hill climb tests..

something about how it was still accelerating throu the markers, were the diesel had topped off, or something like that...

maybe someone else will know what test/review im talking about...

Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy, yeah I remember you got a great deal on your deezl so that skews the cost a lot. But full price for both, if you dont haul long distances daily I think the V10 has the economic advantage. yeah its nice up here and glad to be out of the city finally. Born and raised in the country so the city life just wasnt for me. I only got 2.5 acres but with fields on 3 sides of me its pretty well secluded and privite, just what i wanted. The other side is a horse pasture and barn, so the only time I see my one neighbor is when there in the barn or with the horses. Just whish I didnt have a 40 mile drive to work so I could live in the country!

Ohio has no mountains thats for sure (I grew up just outside the adirondacks in upstate NY). But it does have some good hills out in the country down by the hocking hills and also in NE Ohio. I know there was some hills when i was down in the hockinghills that my F150 could even hold 3rd gear getting up, I was down into 2nd! And thats not pullin nothin. I hunt on my wifes family farms thats in stark county, augusta/mechanicstown area (probably no one ever even heard of those lol) and there are some good hills out there. i got stuck behind the cattle trailer once on the big hill and I really was worried that he could make the hill, I think by the top he was down to about 10mph, serious. But he's only using an old 80's truck with the 300 I6. Them folks cant afford anything much newer! But they make due just fine.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crazy 001, what day are you thinkn? I work most of the day on sat. But later afternoon and sunday im free. My buddy also mayb interested. He has a 04 F250 4x4 v-10 ext cab long bed.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Sunday would probably work better for me, too. Saturday's likely gonna be my first day back home in a few weeks, so I have lots of stuff to get done.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:10 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like fun. Anybody in or around my location interested? My take on this stuff is this, the V10 or the 5.4 would tow any trailer that I use but it would be fun just to see how different they feel compared to my 6.4.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
I talked to my buddy and as of now hes goin for a no

Old 09-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Crazy how about hit the rolling hills and curvey roads of Holmes County? Not to mention all the starting at low speeds waiting for a clear pass around the buggies. If not I'll take my older 2V to Grove City some weekend soon.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:28 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Holmes county? Had to google that one. Might be a bit far out of the way, but I'll have to figure more of this out when I get home. I was hoping to get home last night, but that didn't happen.

I'll post back this afternoon. Anyone other than hybrid eater and maybe monster-4 interested?

Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
for a real world test of just what ur after there actualy was a online review done...

i cant remeber what site/magazine did it thou..

but it def. was discussed here at length..i remember the V10 actualy doing better then the diesel in certain hill climb tests..

something about how it was still accelerating throu the markers, were the diesel had topped off, or something like that...

maybe someone else will know what test/review im talking about...
This is probably the write-up you're talking about. It was one of the best comparison articles I've ever read. Very thorough in every aspect.

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/200...shootout1.html

Great idea Crazy! I too have a lot of respect for the V10 and was really close to ordering my truck with it in '04 but decided on the diesel instead. So far, it has been completely trouble free and has served me very well. I hate to think of Ford doing away with the V10 in the pickups. The 6.2 looks to be a great engine but there's no substitute for the V10....it's a great engine.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
After wading knee deep in the "V10 vs PSD" thread, it hit me that I've never really experienced a V10 with a load. They look amazing on paper, and I've seen very large things hauled by them, but I wanted to get a good idea of how they handle some weight.

Good link to the article. I read this one in depth a year ago, and re-read it a few times before I bought my current truck. Does go into depth on a number of things, and posts statistics that are far more accurate than anything I could get without some expensive instruments.

But reading isn't the same thing as the actual experience. Especially when one of the biggest arguments for the PSD is how "easily" it can tow the same load. With the HP/TQ curves of both engines, it's readily apparent that the V10 has a definite power deficit in the lower RPMs, so I expect a V10 to feel completely different towing a trailer.

Moster-4, I think it may work if hybrid eater and I meet in the middle up in Millersburg. I was thinking sometime mid morning tomorrow? Would that work for you guys?

Also, do you guy have brake controllers in your trucks? I'm planning on borrowing my mother-in-law's POS Trailblazer as a weight for this test, which should put the trailer right around 9,000 lbs. Far too much weight to control without brakes.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
That works for me. I have a brake controller so I'm all set but what size ball is the trailer? What size drop hitch you using? What to make sure I have everything needed.

I got a couple of good loops thought out. Keep in mind there aren't any freeways around here so it will be all state routes and county roads. There will be some towns with stop and go along with some flat open road and a bunch of rolling hills. Should be a good mix. Tourist traffic should be light since it's Sunday so that will make the drive more enjoyable too.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:48 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Crazy001
After wading knee deep in the "V10 vs PSD" thread, it hit me that I've never really experienced a V10 with a load. They look amazing on paper, and I've seen very large things hauled by them, but I wanted to get a good idea of how they handle some weight.

Good link to the article. I read this one in depth a year ago, and re-read it a few times before I bought my current truck. Does go into depth on a number of things, and posts statistics that are far more accurate than anything I could get without some expensive instruments.

But reading isn't the same thing as the actual experience. Especially when one of the biggest arguments for the PSD is how "easily" it can tow the same load. With the HP/TQ curves of both engines, it's readily apparent that the V10 has a definite power deficit in the lower RPMs, so I expect a V10 to feel completely different towing a trailer.

Moster-4, I think it may work if hybrid eater and I meet in the middle up in Millersburg. I was thinking sometime mid morning tomorrow? Would that work for you guys?

Also, do you guy have brake controllers in your trucks? I'm planning on borrowing my mother-in-law's POS Trailblazer as a weight for this test, which should put the trailer right around 9,000 lbs. Far too much weight to control without brakes.

Any time works for me. Im free all day tomorrow. But just PM me and ill give you my cell and stuff. This should be a very good comparision. Even though i have a half ton, their will be a PSD, a v-10 and a 5.4 their. Cant go wrong

Old 09-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
I expect Crazy with is newer PSD vs. our older mod 2V's to handily win any subjective and timed test (if we can actually set one up). Honestly it doesn't matter to me at all. I bought my (used) V10 for many reasons that made sense to me so it doesn't bother me what engine anyone considers better. I like my truck and it does what it needs to for me. However it will be fun to compare them anyways.

Oh I am running my 93 tune. I filled the tank the other day and I'm not wasting a drop!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Crazy and I eat hybrids: I sent you guys both a PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a V10 owner in central OH