Sponsored by: Moser

Engine condensing ALOT of water.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine condensing ALOT of water.

My new 408 blows out alot of water vapor, fully warm, after even a couple hours of driving, and the tailpipes are constantly blowing steam and dripping pretty heavy.

It's not coolant/water, there is no white residue after, so this isn't a leak, this is vapor from the air.

I've never driven a carbed vehicle all the way through the winter, but it seems strange to me that I blow steam driving, idling, all the time, HEAVY even after everything's nice n hot.

Does this indicate some problem, or is it normal?

There is also water condensing in the crankcase, I assume from blow by.

Thanks guys, AleX

Old 01-14-2011, 02:49 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you losing any coolant? A couple hour drive should burn off any condensation. Might pull the plugs and see if they look like they have been steam cleaned.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Coolant level is the same, and nope, the plugs are a nice tannish brown, really healthy looking. Also I've had coolant leaks before, cracked heads, and I know what that looks like, it leaves a white residue in the tailpipes, and there's none of that now.

It has been below freezing pretty much every day, if that changes anything?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM
planehunter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is you motor comming up to proper temp? It has to get hot enough in the block to pull moisture from the oil. The brand of gas may be playing a part. And yes, if it's below freezing a carb engine will produce a little more vapor.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Question: Do you have a big fat exhaust tip like I do?

I fabbed up a NASCAR-style exhaust tip last year and this is the first fall/winter with it on . I went to warm up the rig on a dank, cold day and experienced the same thing....it was almost as if the exhaust was billowing smoke some how.

It took awhile to get the sheetmetal warmed up enough (due to its large surface area... it's 2.5 inches tall, 12 inches wide, and about 16 inches long) to the point where no ambient humidity would condense on it. After reaching that temp, it was good to go.

'Dunno about your crankcase issue but I thot I'd share my experience with a condensing exhaust system.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 PM
akforceten
Elder User
I have lived in alaska for 43 years an during the winter months I always have white billowing steam from the exhaust . when things warm up weather wise steam goes away . its from hot exhaust hitting the cold air . at least it sounds good

Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 AM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
HIO, nope, just 2.5" pipes all the way back , and this even happens on the hiway, where I thought the amount of exhaust coming out of a 4V 400 would eeeeeasily warm/dry the entire system.

And as far as temp, my engine does run extremely cool. 170-180 at all times, could this be the issue?

Planehunter, why is there moisture in the oil in the first place?

Thanks, AleX

Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM
hojolabo
Senior User
My 78' F-350, 351/400M did the same thing and in my case it was the vacuum booster pulling brake fluid from the master cylinder. Sounds weird but when I changed them both the problem was over, that was 6 yrs. ago.
Check it out you never know.
Good Luck

Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Got an auto trans??? I was reading some tech articles and found an item of interest.

Constant white exhaust out the tailpipe may be an indication that an auto trans' modulator may have a leak and trans fluid is getting sucked into the manifold via the vacuum lines and into the combustion cycle.