Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:08 PM
fordmonn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Won't Start

He all,

I have a question? I have a 92 F150 5.0 4x4 4eod with 140.000 on the odom. I been working on my truck for about 4 months now. Welding new floor on driver side and changed nose & doors. I also changed water pump and now I went to start my truck it turned over a couple of times and then started right up, I run 6" stack on the back and a free flow convertor no "Muffs" I like it loud.
Exhaust blew out tiny rust chips all over the place no big deal (I hope) Shut truck off went to start again and nothing! No power at all, no lights no nothing. I put my battery charger on equipped with quick start and truck started up ran awhile then turned on my roof beacons and truck died. Turned key on w/charger and barley turns over waited awhile about 1/2 hour & same thing.
Changed voltaged reg had spare one & nothing. When I turn key to the on postion w/charger off no power at all. Turn key on w/charger on, fuel pump stays on & I here a buzzing almost like something is grounded and truck barley turns over. With the Ignition on I pull the charger cable Posi on & off the battery post and I here a clicking sound down on the left fender by the fire wall and I here a buzzing sound coming from what I think is the injector rail. I know my A$$ from my elbow most of the time but this one has me stumped
I read as many post on the site some say this & so say that but nothing really comes close to my problem. Any help would be greatly apperciated Thanks Fordmonn

Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM
wm070779
New User
I'm not sure if this will help or not but did you try your starter cylinoid, (i think thats spelled right) if it has one, those thing do all sort of funky stuff when they go out.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM
gpedens
Senior User
wont start

have you checked your battery? It may have a bad cell or 2. what is the battery voltage? typically when the voltage drops below about 10.5 volts the engine wont start. sometimes you can check for a bad battery cell by taking the fill caps off and watch for a lot of bubbles when cranking. the cell bubbling like crazy will be the bad one. but this trick dont always work. you can have a bad cell and it wont bubble like that. a bubble every now and then is ok. Also it could be the terminals are dirty. they can get a hard black oxide that wont let it crank. try cleaning the battery post to get bright shiny lead. use a battery post grease and those red an green felt pads. the clicking you hear is the starter secondary solenoid. trace the red cable from the battery and it will terminate on the solenoid. i have seen the solenoid contacts burn and cause no start. your symptoms are classic bad battery in my case.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 AM
fordmonn
New User
Thanks Guys,
I will try that and keep you posted

Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 PM
fordmonn
New User
Hey guys,

Battery was fine 14 volts. Battery cabel "Positive" junk changed it she started right up on the first turn of the key.

Again I want to thank you guys.

Fordmonn

Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
gpedens
Senior User
What do you mean by junk positive cable? was it corroded or too small?