Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Probably a dumb question - but!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Amboy Tom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably a dumb question - but!

I have a 2000 F250 Diesel with an automatic transmission and I am having a difficult time trying to read the fluid level of the transmission on the dip stick. Am I the only one that has a tough time seeing the red fluid in those tiny pockets on the stick? If I check the fluid when the tranny is cold I can see clearly the red fluid on the lower "cold" area of the dip stick but when the truck is hot and running I cannot see if the cotton picking thing is full or what. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Tom

Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
bunklash
Elder User
Uh....don't let it pick no more cotton?????

Sorry, been a long day, I have the same problem, but usually muddle my way through and make a decision.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Use a clean white rag to check the level. When you pull the dipstick tube out, lay the little plastic thing down on the rag and watch to see where the fluid level stains the rag.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Use a clean white rag to check the level. When you pull the dipstick tube out, lay the little plastic thing down on the rag and watch to see where the fluid level stains the rag.
Never thought of that good idea.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Amboy Tom
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Thanks for your input. I am a little concerned that the dipstick will pick up oil from the ID of the tube and give me a false reading. I will try your idea but I think I may just check the level with the truck and tranny cold. When cold I can see clearly the fluid on the recessed area of the x-hatched section of the dipstick. I assume its OK to check the transmission cold. If not why would Ford have a cold section on the dipstick. Anyway thanks again.
Tom

Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 780 Likes on 595 Posts
I always run automatics just a litte above the add mark, stone cold, engine idleing, in park, level ground.
ATF expands a lot when it warms up and the level will go way up when it's hot.
I never check it when it's hot unless it has a leak.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I always hold the end of the stick up and use my quarter panel as a backdrop. My truck is Toreador Red, so the red fluid contrasts with the white level area and the red background making it easy for me to read.