Sponsored by:

E4OD Shift Flair??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
bfwill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Shift Flair??

I have a '91 Ful size Bronco and lately the transmission has been shifting from OD back into 3rd (E4OD). I've heard this action called "Shift Flair". What is it and what causes it. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
could be a few different reasons. is your tranny fluid full? when was the fluid/filter changed last? have you pulled the sensor on top of the rear diff out and cleaned it up and gotten any change? is the od light blinking? Have you pulled codes?

www.fordfuelinjection.com has a write up on pulling codes using a paperclip.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to FTE and the Big Bronco Forum. We will endeavor to get you the most accurate information we can muster.

Follow Kem's advice on every point. I've never heard it called "flair" but I have heard it referred to as "hunting". Basically its a symptom of some issue (see Kemicalburns' post) that is allowing the transmission to jump up and down between two gears (hunt for the right one). Typically the E4OD suffers from this between 3rd and 4th (OD) and there are many possible causes.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 AM
bfwill
New User
Talking shift flair

Many thanks for the info. Tranny was rebuilt 3 years ago. Have changed fluid 2 times since. Latest was 2000 miles ago. Looks nice and clean, no bad odor. OD light is not blinking. Today is my last 12 hour day so tomorrow I will pull VSS and also check for codes. Have not gotten any CEL warnings. Should I pull both KOEO & KOER codes?
Thanks again................

Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
It never hurts to get results from both tests. Since the transmission is part of the dynamic changes to the system the KOER test, while more tedious, will most likely give you more accurate results.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
who serviced the tranny last? if the filter has dropped out it could have caused this hunting. Or perhaps solenoid pack may be having issues. who did the tranny rebuild, you might swing it by there shop and pick there brain.

also what size tires are you running?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 PM
cmcolfax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bfwill
I have a '91 Ful size Bronco and lately the transmission has been shifting from OD back into 3rd (E4OD). I've heard this action called "Shift Flair". What is it and what causes it. Any help is appreciated.
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
could be a few different reasons. is your tranny fluid full? when was the fluid/filter changed last? have you pulled the sensor on top of the rear diff out and cleaned it up and gotten any change? is the od light blinking? Have you pulled codes?

www.fordfuelinjection.com has a write up on pulling codes using a paperclip.
Originally Posted by greystreak92
Welcome to FTE and the Big Bronco Forum. We will endeavor to get you the most accurate information we can muster.

Follow Kem's advice on every point. I've never heard it called "flair" but I have heard it referred to as "hunting". Basically its a symptom of some issue (see Kemicalburns' post) that is allowing the transmission to jump up and down between two gears (hunt for the right one). Typically the E4OD suffers from this between 3rd and 4th (OD) and there are many possible causes.
Originally Posted by greystreak92
It never hurts to get results from both tests. Since the transmission is part of the dynamic changes to the system the KOER test, while more tedious, will most likely give you more accurate results.
Hey guys... while I don't have a Big Bronco... I have it's longer wheel-based, back-seat-less cousin... a 92 F-150... it is having similar issues.

5.0L / E4OD / 113K miles

Tranny feels like it drops in to OD as soon as I let off the throttle. Have to go hard WOT to get it to kick back down.

I have only had the truck for about a month, and been catching up on the PM that was neglected for the past 17 years.

Have not changed tranny fluid/filter yet... it's on the "to do" list for next week. Based on everything else I have found with this truck, it may be the original fluid. Full, very brown, not red, no odor.

KOEO showed no transmission related codes. Just EGR/HEGO related ones (33 / 41).

No OD light blinking.

I can pull KOER codes this weekend.

And pull/clean/re-install the VSS.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

-cmc-

Old 09-04-2009, 12:43 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
What is the consistency of the fluid? Brown is indicative of old fluid that has at least overheated if not burned. If it feels thin when its cold its probably broken down and won't hold hydraulic pressure especially when you consider that it will lose what little viscosity that it has when it heats up again. If you change the fluid and filter, take extra care to examine/clean the magnet in the pan. Any transmission that has not seen regular fluid changes is going to have excessive amounts of metal in the fluid and pan. Fortunately, the magnet is there to help trap this crud before it recirculates back through the system and causes damage.

There is an outside chance that the fluid/filter change won't cure this issue. If not, well, you are out of my range of expertise and into the professional transmission guys realm.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:22 PM
cmcolfax
Mountain Pass
Thanks... I'll post more info when I can get back to working on the truck... prolly Monday.

-cmc-

Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 AM
bfwill
New User
Sorry for the long delay in responding to your great information. Finally pulled the codes. No codes on KOER but, on KOEO I got a 628 (Excessive Torque Converter Clutch Slippage). No what I wanted to hear but did expect something along that range. Cleaned and sealed both the VSS and SLPS before pulling codes. Guess it means replacing the TC. Appreciate all the info and input.