Front drum brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front drum brake problem

Hi Guys,

I have a 1967 Mercury M100 2 wheel drive I'm working on. The front drums were too worn to be turned, so I got a new pair from Napa. The old shoes were also damaged, so I got newly relined shoes from a place that specializes in relines. I cleaned up the back plate, the wheel cylinder showed no signs of leaking so I left it. Installed new shoes - everything went together as usual. When I went to install the drum, it was a tight fit over the shoes, so I backed off the star wheel compleatly. I did manage to get it on, but it wouldn't go on all the way. I pilled it off again, and realized the stud holes were too small to go over the bottom of the studs. I measured the bottom of the stud and drillled out the holes to 19/32". Still very tight, and wont go on all the way. I flipped the drum around and used the wheel nuts to press fit the drum on. After several tries, and lots of filing with a rattail, I was able to get it to sit flat on the hub.

I can only turn the wheel with both hands, because the shoes are dragging. As I said before, the star wheel is turned in all the way - no more adjustment. I've done brakes before, but this is new to me. Am I missing something? The shoes are right up at the pivot point at the top, so I dont think the wheel cylinder is involved. I do find it unusual to have the star wheel adjusted to it's minimum length - on the rears, I had to adjust it out about 1/2" before it would contact the drum.

I'm considering enlarging the stud holes to 5/8" - I don't want to make the holes too large. I'm also concerned about the drum not sitting concentric with the wheel spindle if I drill the holes too large.

Sorry for the long post, but this has got me stumped. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First, go and have the Drum's turned. Its properly a little undersized so you can have it turned the first time. Then enlarge the holes to 5/8, you be ok, its HUD centric, Not Stud centric.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
Madathlon,

Thanks for the reply. How much should I have turned off the drums - .010, .020? More or less? I thought they might be hub centric, just wasn't sure.

Thanks for your help,

John

Old 08-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Have them check the min. you need to use them. Most shops have a guide book that say what the mins are. they can then cut whats needed

Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM
zenmaster
Senior User
Madathlon,

I took the shoes and drums back to the reline place and they skimmed the shoes to match the drums (for free!). Then I came home and drilled the stud holes to 5/8". Everything went back together no problem.

Thanks again for all your help,

John

Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Great to hear. keep on truckin'