whine in the AM

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:20 PM
4x4 stepside
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whine in the AM

I just put in electric cooling fans now I can't get my AM radio stations to come in I spend a lot on the road and like to listen to the talk shows ( i.e. Beck,Rush,Hannity) I used crimp conectors any ideas thanks

Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,728 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Is this a factory radio? Does it have a cassette or CD player? If it has a player, play a cd or cassette and see if the noise is still there. If it is, then that means the noise is coming from 12v power line, and you can get a noise filter to install to the 12v supply to the radio to get rid of it.

If the noise is only on the AM radio, than that means the fans are generating the noise through the air. One thing you can try in this case is to go to the junkyard and find these little metal cans that are mounted near the regulator and sometimes the ignition coil. They look like the old condensors that used to be inside a points distributor, and that's what they are, but they are made to suppress noise. Strip the hot wire as close as you dare to where it goes into the fan motor, and wire these noise suppressors in, and then mount them to a good ground. That's about all you can do.