Sponsored by: DP Tuner

truck transport drama

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
lucaslaw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck transport drama

BERTHOUD Fair Deal Transportation, contracted through aaallstates auto (Larry). Derek called me to tell me they started the truck, I paid extra for inop, and they knocked tire off rim (thanks Derek, props). I called owner of Berthoid who first denyed it then told me if I gave him any problems he would drop it in Denver and store it and I could pay storage and find someone else, or he'd just drop it off somewhere. He told me I was negligent by not writing DO NOT START (you f'n kidding me?)on windsheild, even though it was on the papers as an inop. I told him there was no problem as long as my truck came back in same shape it was in when picked up. He told me if I give his driver any trouble they would tow truck back to Salt Lake and leave it. "You just talked yourself out of a truck" was said at one point. I also paid extra for door to door, but didn't get it. He seemed to want a pat on the back for putting my tire back on. Truck was almost impossible to unload since it was on the right EDGE of the transport. Delivered at night, I haven't been over it yet for damage but crossed out "accepted as is" on bill of lading, I can see the new dent in the driver's door however. BEWARE

Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 AM
krejci.mike
Senior User
Sounds like you got a bad deal for your money! What was wrong with the truck? and what does inop mean?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Sounds like a report to the Better Business Bureau is coming soon. You need to read the fine print on the agreement that you signed when you contracted with them to haul your truck. See what recourse you have as far as damage and failure of them to perform as agreed to. May want to contact an attorney but that gets expensive and messy. Sure sorry to hear about this.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he lost a hub bearing in the middle of BFE and it took out the caliper and rotor and tire/wheel was barely hanging on.....

lucaslaw: if i was you i would file with the BBB and i would get your money back that you paid extra for the INOP part. that guy sounds like a real winner. also see if you can go online and make comments on the business like a feedback kinda thing. i would have told that d!ckhead that if my truck hit the ground before the front of my house he had better have a good lawyer and ready to spend some cash in court costs. that guy was treating you like that because he thought he had you by the *****. i would go out of my way to let that dude know he fugged with the wrong guy............

Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't know the situation the truck was in when the tow truck showed up. The tow truck owner was way out of line though. However, what kind of shape was the truck in? Which wheel was torn up? If it was losing a wheel, the only safe way to move it, in my opinion, would be with a wheel lift, not on a roll back. Sliding it up on a rollback or trailer could do more damage.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 AM
lucaslaw
Senior User
I am a lawyer, and I will get my $ back. Truck was inop (inoperable) because shop that fixed hub may have loosened the (new) tensioner. I know this because I had just replaced it properly. As a result the (new) belt came off and broke radiator nipple. I didn't want it started because I didn't want it overheated, I pulled over seconds after the belt/hose gave way. AAALSTATES doesn't return phone calls. I assume they told Berthoid I was a lawyer (its obvious from my email address) since he stopped being an a$$h0le the last conversation telling me "You'll be happy with your truck". What he doesn't know is I tracked down his auto dealer's license in CO and will be filing complaints with CO D.O.T., the N.H.T.S.A. and BBB, the usual against him as well as aaallstates, located in IA.

Refusal to give up insurance info is common among haulers, ask the mover I sued out of business in Dallas, TX D.O.T. took his license after he refused to give up his insurance. If Berthoid smarts off and steals my truck he can deal with the Dallas Police, I've talked to them as well since I expected a confrontation with the driver (driver was actually very nice). Our conversations are on tape and I have video of how the truck was loaded so far over it needed an extra ramp to get it off transport as well as 30 or so before pictures from Derek's driveway and my body man who had just straitened and painted truck.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:47 AM
lucaslaw
Senior User
Sorry, its BERTHOUD fair deal auto, my spelling was wrong.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:56 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take them to the cleaners to the point of owning a new transport rig....

Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Our conversations are on tape and I have video of how the truck was loaded so far over it needed an extra ramp to get it off transport as well as 30 or so before pictures from Derek's driveway and my body man who had just straitened and painted truck.
Good going ..

Sometimes its the only way to protect yourself....

Old 08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
shacks87
Mountain Pass

Lucas, sorry to hear about this, if you can't get his insurance info pm me and I will give it to you along with his agents name and #.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
61 uni
Posting Guru
How long have you had this truck? It sounds like you have very bad luck with it. Hope things go better form now on.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow, what a saga. I am sure you will get some satisfaction. It sounds like he was going to pull the old" you effed with the wrong guy" type of line but in reality, he did. Good for you. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:55 PM
racincowboy
Senior User
Its things like this moron pulled that gives transporters and trucking outfits a bad name. I hope you do end up owning his truck for what they did to yours. Sounds like the owner of this company did Eff with the wrong guy. Its about time he gets his butt kicked for it.

Being a lawyer as you are you know all the in's and outs and by reporting him to dot ect I would also get his cargo insurance info and bond info and let them know what this moron is up to. Maybe if his insurance goes up 20% or so and his bond goes up that will make him think twice how he treats people.

As far as the truck being in operable there should have been no reason to write it on the windshield obviously the dispatcher did not relay this to the driver as "special instructions" which should have been done.

Having been in the trucking world a long time I hate to see say this happens more then you know. I have seen transporters pick up cars at the auction and let me say they are not treated very gently at all. Just my .02

Old 08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lucaslaw
I am a lawyer, and I will get my $ back. Truck was inop (inoperable) because shop that fixed hub may have loosened the (new) tensioner. I know this because I had just replaced it properly. As a result the (new) belt came off and broke radiator nipple. I didn't want it started because I didn't want it overheated, I pulled over seconds after the belt/hose gave way. AAALSTATES doesn't return phone calls. I assume they told Berthoid I was a lawyer (its obvious from my email address) since he stopped being an a$$h0le the last conversation telling me "You'll be happy with your truck". What he doesn't know is I tracked down his auto dealer's license in CO and will be filing complaints with CO D.O.T., the N.H.T.S.A. and BBB, the usual against him as well as aaallstates, located in IA.

Refusal to give up insurance info is common among haulers, ask the mover I sued out of business in Dallas, TX D.O.T. took his license after he refused to give up his insurance. If Berthoid smarts off and steals my truck he can deal with the Dallas Police, I've talked to them as well since I expected a confrontation with the driver (driver was actually very nice). Our conversations are on tape and I have video of how the truck was loaded so far over it needed an extra ramp to get it off transport as well as 30 or so before pictures from Derek's driveway and my body man who had just straitened and painted truck.
This here is "the rest of the story". Thanks for explaining your side of the situation. I would say that the transporter owner is in for a rude awakening and justifiably so. I'm sure that you aren't the first one he has tried to bully.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Homey needs to be taught a lesson in how his business practice affects his economic base, and how his attitude needs realignment.

Bertoud Fair Deal Auto, meet Lusaslaw (or LL for short). He's gonna teach you a thing or two, while providing incentive to adjust your attitude! You can call him "Sir" while apologizing profusely for being nothing more than a meat sack, trying to take peoples money and bully them.

LL, I truly hope you make that azzhole bleed.

I hate people who try to take advantage of others. It was one of the reasons I became a cop all those long years ago.

Git 'er done, LL...GIT 'ER DONE!

Stewart

Quick Reply: truck transport drama