1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Torsion bar front clip

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Blacksnake
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Torsion bar front clip

What is ur opinion of the torsion bar front end. Are they all usually from a Volare. It looks like the truck we are lookin at has a torsion front end, also a 351 w C6 rear end. Thanks for the info. Oh yeah it is in a 1952 F1 Thanks Ryan

Old 08-25-2009, 06:47 AM
thomc
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
My 56 has the ifs you speak of . It rides and handles great. I've seen 48-52 F1s with the same but I think it is a little too wide for the earlier models.Although the Chrysler suspensions are usually refered to as Volare they were used on most rear wheel drive Chrysler cars in the late 70's.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:50 AM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Nothing wrong with them, Ryan. Lot's of us on here have one under our trucks.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a great suspension if you like a smooth ride. The biggest complaint I've heard about them is the big honkin' steering box that you have to work around or the ride being too soft. I have one in my 48 F-3 and putting another in my 49 F-1. They were available up to 1989 in several RWD Chrysler products...

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 468 Likes on 304 Posts
The "Volare" IFS is the one with the "L"-shaped torsion bars mounted forward of the crossmember...there is also a "Cordoba" IFS that has the more traditional MOPAR torsion bars that extend back on each side from the lower A-arms to the transmission crossmember. The Cordoba setup adds a little congestion to the area around where the trans linkage, exhaust, and brake booster/master cylinder are located. There are pros and cons to both but with the Volare IFS parts are still available to repair and there are performance parts available so that you can "tune" the suspension to give you that ride you desire.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
As strange and as unusual as it might seem I think that info is in;

Read first- FAQ and MANY more 1948-1960 Ford truck related articles ( 1 2 )
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...art_Three.html

Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM
cwpowell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have a listing of the year and model of the volare clip that can be used in the f-100? I have one under my truck from a Dodge Diplomat. A friend of mine is wanting to install one in his truck and asked me what year and model should he be looking to buy one from? I told him that they were in Dodges and Plymouths and maybe some Chryslers but I was not sure of the correct year and models. Any help would be apprecited.

Charlie

Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Blacksnake
Senior User
nevermind

Well nevermind for me....................the truck we were looking at was said to be a 52 but turns out it was a 53, not what we wanted but a great deal. Check the other thread "desperate seller not me"

THanks for the info................Now I guesss I need to know about mono leafs for the front of our 52? I guess that is a cheaper way to lower the old trucks? I am leaving in 30 minutes to go get her. Will post pictures when we get home. 8 hours or so. Ryan

Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Charlie, I don't have a list but I know that 83-89 Chrysler 5th Avenues and New Yorkers had them as well as Dodge Diplomats, and Plymouth Fury. They were also in Aspens and Volares of the 70s. The easiest ones to find are the 83-89 Chrysler 5th Avenues and they all had the big stabilizer bar (1 1/8).

Old 08-26-2009, 04:33 PM
8bahead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mid 70's and up volare, chrysler, dodge whatever will work. There are 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder members, the 8 cylinder have a flatter pan and the engine mounts are vertical. The 6 cylinder pans have more curves in them and are a bit narrower. I used a 6 cylinder member and wish I had used a v-8. You can move the engine closer to the firewall with a v-8 pan. More area to attach the driver side motor mount. One thing to look for is rust out in the channel where the sway bar is located. The 1 1/8 sway bar will fit the 6 cylinder pan too. I used v-8 parts to recondition all the suspension parts and brake associated parts too. One more thing, after you install the clip get it all welded in and before you reassemble cut a peice of 3/16 flat stock and put it between the upper shock tower and the frame rail and weld it in. This will stop the flexing of the shock tower. Good luck!