Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A Tale of a Man and His Horn

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 AM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A Tale of a Man and His Horn

So here's my story that for whatever reason has taken almost a year for me to share with you guys.
A couple of years ago when work was plentiful and I had what I thought of as disposable income, the PMS got me, and on top of all of the other mods I have done, I decided to put on a set of train horns from Siege Engineering. I figured for a couple hundred bucks I could have a little fun. Now I have rules mind you. I won't honk at old people. I would hate to cause a heart attack (though my friends that live in Florida say, "screw that, them old people can't drive) I don't honk at anyone on a motorcycle unless it's absolutely necessary, and I won't honk at anybody riding a bicycle on the road. (unless I'm sure there's not anyone behind me that could possibly run them over when they fall.) That being said, these horns WERE the gift that keeps on giving. I've had people next to me in cars eating a burrito, and when I blast them they smash it in their face. I've had, like you all have, some numbnut crossing the street in front of me at a red light when their sigh clearly says "DON'T WALK" but they cross anyway, giving me that defiant "whachyougonnado?" look. Those are the best. Their eyes bug out, they somehow miraculously instantly elevate about a foot in the air, and then they run. I love that. Kids freaking out and running away, teenage girls that shriek almost as loud as the horns themselves. Oh and yes, the UPS man. Then one day, instead of the normal blast of awesomeness, I his the horn and got a really sick sounding squeal. WTF??? What happened to my pride and joy?? So I pulled them off, with the plan to take them apart, and just clean them out. I figured there was something in the diaphragms or something. But the screws were all corroded and I couldn't get them to come apart. DAMN. So I drove around for a couple of days with the boring old factory horn, but it just wasn't the same, I had lost my drive to drive. So back on line I went. Since I already had the compressor and all, it wasn't that expensive to get just the horns themselves. So I ordered what I thought to be the same set that I already had. A couple days later, the UPS man sees me driving down the street. He stops me and says I can save him a trip across town, then he hands me a box. He saw the smile on my face and asked if it was a new toy. "Replacement horns" I tell him. He responds with "If I would've known that, I would've sent them back and said you refused them" HAHAHAHAAA!! I WIN!!! So I drive around for about oh, 2 or 3 minutes before I hit a red light. I just have to open the box. I'll feel better with my babies sitting there next to me. Then I notice. This is a pretty big box for a little set of horns. I cut it open, reach inside, and almost have a heart attack myself. I pull out the biggest baddest set of horns I've ever seen in person. Twice the size of the old ones. OOPS!! But what can I do? Unfortunately, I had 3 more appointments that day, for the next 4 hours. Then I started to worry. What if they wouldn't fit under the truck?? But when I got home I got to work and made them fit. HOLY CRAP!!! These things kick butt. And the rest as they say is history. Just to help you appreciate my excitement, I'm adding a few pics.
[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Horns/031408%20025.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Horns/031408%20027.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Horns/031408%20026.jpg[/IMG]

Attached Images    
Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Ummmm.... Yea! Those are SIGNIFICANTLY different!

Great photos, expecially the one of you with a HUGE grin!

Have fun with these! Oh, I'm SURE you will!

Pop

Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
You must be a lefty, because your left hooter is bigger than your right hooter!

Stewart

Old 08-22-2009, 12:08 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Awesome. What is the model number of the second set you ordered?

I am so tempted to get some of these, only with idiot California pedestrians I am certain I would be sounding them several times a day, and probably eventually get busted.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:12 PM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
The new ones are the "anvils" from Siege engineering. I have used them in the presence of law enforcement before, even scared the crap out of a cop somewhere near Atlanta once. Never had a problem yet

Old 08-22-2009, 12:24 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KelVarnson
Awesome. What is the model number of the second set you ordered?

I am so tempted to get some of these, only with idiot California pedestrians I am certain I would be sounding them several times a day, and probably eventually get busted.
You think Cali is bad? Try Colorado. RAGING IDIOTS. If you took 50% of the population of say, Fort Collins, CO to somewhere like... Philly... You would reduce Fort Collins population by 48%.

Blast away young man!!

OOOHHHH... I just had an idea. You need a "prime" button for the horns... this "prime" would start a dash-mounted video camera in to record, mode... THEN... DROP DA HAMMAH!!! pics are great, video is wonderful!!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
I had another, million-dollar idea that I will share with you guys, because I will probably never get off of my duff and actually do it.

Install a high-powered, reasonably-high-fidelity speaker under the hood, or somewhere up front. Like a PA horn. Then, record the sound of screeching tires onto a ROM chip, so that pressing the big red button on your dashboard activates it. This would be perfect for arrogant pedestrians.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:40 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
LOVE the idea!

Implementing it would be a bit difficult, but sure would be fun!

Pop

Old 08-22-2009, 12:54 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
those look to be the same size of the ones i have! awesomeness!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 01:04 PM
togobefastguy
Senior User

man yall got some good ideas. i am glad you got more for your money than you expected, cant beat that. where do you have your horns mounted?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:38 PM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
Right now I have them mounted to the frame under the passengers door. But I'd like to find a "cleaner" spot for them. It sucks when they get full of snow

Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Do you have them mounted facing the front or rear of the truck? Facing them towards the rear would help with keeping stuff out of them

Old 08-22-2009, 06:49 PM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
yeah, I thought about that, nut then the sound doesn't get magnified out the front. Where is is most needed for having a proper good time.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:55 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Thats true, but I figured it was so loud anyway it might not make a difference...

Old 08-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
brings back fond memories

Years ago we had a so called "fuel shortage". I used my motorcycle to commute the 30 miles to and from work. I was on the 4 to midnite shift with the company at that time. I had to ride home after midnite with all the drunks on the road. I was constantly being forced to watch out for all the idiots that did not use their mirrors when they made lane changes. I decided to mount a small set of airhorns on the bike. I gained a whole lot of respect when using them to let these idiots know when they had cut me off on the freeway. I miss not having them any more.
Nick

Quick Reply: A Tale of a Man and His Horn