Sponsored by: DP Tuner

3 CPS's in 2 nights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:08 AM
superpony18
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 CPS's in 2 nights?

Just got home from the state fair thought I would start this gefore I go to bed. It all started last night Was getting on the offramp as soon as I let off the throttle it died and would not restart. No big deal I knew what was wrong from past experience and you wonderful people. Got one from napa put it in fired right up. On the way home that night it started to die again but I saw it starting to happen, grabbed some throttle, and she restarted while rolling, but I had no o/d and the torque converter would not unlock. stayed on the throttle the rest off the way home. when I got down to about 5 mph to turn into the driveway the torque converter unlocked and everything was back to normal.
Took the truck for a test drive this morning and all was fine. On the way to the fair it died on the freeway twice, both times restarting. Got another cps from Kragen put it in all was fine untill I was almost home, died again but refired.

Am I getting bad cps's or is there something else going on? Thank you for all your help this is really frustrateing.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 AM
greedy737
Elder User
Could be the plug coming apart under the valve cover! And get the cps from Int. or Ford. Also put elec. grease on the cps plug!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 AM
snapper021
Freshman User
I've got four CPS now! I believe that there is something else going on! I have started changing back to old CPS sensors and am getting restarts. Coincidence I'm sure but mine will die and not restart, I'll get tired of trying and put in one of the old sensors and get a restart.

Thought I had it fixed and yesterday it got me again, after a week of running good.

Please let us know if you find anything, there seems to be a bunch of this going on right now.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of people have had problems with aftermarket CPSs. Our trucks just don't like them. Until you have a OEM CPS from ford and even better, the old black style, you are chasing a gremlin. Put a Ford in and see if it still gives problems.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After 4 CPS's, I doubt that's your problem.

IPR's can also cause stalling symptoms that are identical to a CPS. My bet is your IPR needs to be replaced.

If it actually is your CPS causing the problem, it means you have some severe cam walk, and you would probably see indentions and scuff marks on the tip of the CPS. That would be the only way for you to actually chew up 4 CPS's in 2 days.

Check your IPR first. Either the tin nut on the end is loose, or the IPR itself is bad and needs to be replaced.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by Pocket
After 4 CPS's, I doubt that's your problem.

IPR's can also cause stalling symptoms that are identical to a CPS. My bet is your IPR needs to be replaced.

If it actually is your CPS causing the problem, it means you have some severe cam walk, and you would probably see indentions and scuff marks on the tip of the CPS. That would be the only way for you to actually chew up 4 CPS's in 2 days.

Check your IPR first. Either the tin nut on the end is loose, or the IPR itself is bad and needs to be replaced.
Also, a malfunctioning ICP sensor can cause similar issues. Stalling, intermittent stumbling, refusal to start once it has stalled.

I'd also suggest to look for oil on that ICP sensor.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Or a bad ground/connection somewhere caused by some corrosion in the wiring.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 AM
zx250
Or a combo of all, but the choice of a CPS from NAPA, Kragen, or anything other than OEM has created it's share of problems as well.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:53 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Someone posted not long ago that his problem was the electro-magnet that slides over the IPR. When it got warm it acted up. He found a used replacement and his stalling went away. Just something else to consider. I believe he got a used one because it is not sold separately from the IPR itself.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 AM
superpony18
Senior User
good morning everyone. My son let me sleep in. Thank you for all the responses.
The cpss have no scuffing on the tip. I have suspected a bad IPR do to rough running/stumbling issues. I put a new ICP on a couple of months ago. The sensors I got from the auto parts store were black, my plan was to get a cps from ford tomarrow and put that one in and have the other as a back up.
Thanks again for everything will let you know what I find.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 PM
superpony18
Senior User
The first issue on Friday night I'm pretty sure was the cps, no start and the tach didn't move. Does that sound right?

On another note when it died I was doing about 65 mph with the torqe converter manually locked. when it would die I would still have stearing and brakes untill I unlocked the converter.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:49 PM
zx250
The locked TC was forcing the engine to keep the pump turning for the brakes and power steering.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 PM
superpony18
Senior User
Yeah I had thought of that I was just throwing it out there for people.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
superpony18
Senior User
So after being awake for awhile I went back and reread your responses and it sounds like when I get the cps from Ford everything might be taken care of. The cps that was in the truck before all of this I boght a year and a half ago at napa.

When I would first put the replacement cps in it would run better than it has in a while and would slowly run worse than die.

Where is the ipr and what should I look for?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:27 PM
zx250
Here you go,

The IPR is down beside the fuel filter and the nut is on the end of it right where the arrow is pointing.