Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the EGR

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 PM
truckdriver_mn1984
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning the EGR

I know the EGR questions are beaten to death. But im slowly working issues out of my 87. Can some one walk me threw taking off and cleaning the EGR and any gaskets/seals or what ever i might need to replace. I was told by the codes and a ford mechanic the EGR has some issues but a good cleaning might fix/help. I just dont want to spend 200 bucks on a EGR replacemnt.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Neptoess
Senior User
Run the codes yourself to see exactly what code it is. The EGR is easy to clean. Just take all vac/electrical lines off(they all just push on) and undo the 2 bolts. Pick up an EGR gasket just in case you mess yours up when you take it off. Once it's off, just get out the pipe cleaners and knock it out, maybe using some carb cleaner to help with the real tough stuff. My EGR code was due to the more common rusted out vac reservoir(little soup can under your hood). Also check for cracked vacuum lines which can be fixed with some clear tubing from the plumbing store. The other thing that can be causing this is the EGR solenoid on the other side of the engine compartment, it'd be best if you pulled the codes though and told us what they were, as it's much easier to pinpoint the problem

Old 08-21-2009, 07:53 AM
truckdriver_mn1984
Junior User
Thanks! I did pull the codes my self, I cant remember exactly what with was with the EGR (haven't slept for 3 days). All the vac lines i can see i dont see any cracks. Could the manifold they all run into leak? And the canister on mine has 2 vac lines running into to it, a red and black, when i disconnect it you can hear the vac release and the can puffs back up.

The tube that runs to the bottom of the EGR can i take that off a totally remove the EGR from the truck or easier cleaning...?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Neptoess
Senior User
yeah it's just a huge nut. remove away. also, even if the line from the manifold the the valve is leaking, it won't throw an egr valve code