1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

A/C compressor not turning on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
I'm defiantly no ac expert but maybe you have a blockage somewhere??

Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Evan OP
Any news?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If the high side is getting over 250 then you have a blockage. Are you useing hvac gauges or the can with a gauge?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More than likely the accumulator/drier is fouled out and/or the orfice incert to the evap core is as well. If the pressure is truely high.

Then the system needs to be evacuated and then remove the orfice screen and replace it. There typically is no cleaning of them since most destroy on removal when it has this much age. But you never know. It will also be color coded the orfice that is. Its located on the high pressure line entering the evap inside the tube. The orfice drops the pressure on the freon so that it flashed to a gas inside the evaporator. After it leaves the evap theres the drier that is also used as a place to accumulate liquids. I have heard them called either accumulator or drier. IT can be fouled out as well but its less likely.

There should be (or maybe) a filter from the compressor side just before the condenser.

So plugging can be at the filter before the condensor on the HI PSIG line or following the line from the Condenser outlet to the evap at the inlet connection of the evap at the orfice in the tube. Or even in the outlet accumulator/drier.

If you are to break into it then there is clipring separators that you can get that slip around the tubing and with hand pressure sleeve up into the clip ring connections and open the ring. New O-rings should be installed and then after clearing it all out and flushing the system blow it all clear peice by peice. Then putting it back you need to draw it dowm to about 3 to 5 psia with a vacuum pump to ensure that the atmosphere is removed and the unit is dry. Once the vac is pulled you stop and ensure that it does hold the vacuum if not then there a connection leak somewhere or a hole in the condenser ofr evaporator. But if its just minor then you can put is all back to gether being sure to oil the compressor well (using compatable oil) <<- thats done before pulling vacuum but after flushing and then charge the unit with the correct freon and oil ratio.

Crank it up and finish the charging.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:20 PM
jjchrestman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely this isn't related but after I jumped the pressure switch my drivers side widow stopped working, and its always worked great

Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM
jjchrestman
New User
When I jumped the switch and compressor was running the engine idled terrible

Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM
jjchrestman
New User
Kept ramping up and dropping way down

Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM
jjchrestman
New User
Everything is breaking all at once, spent all day in salvage yards

Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 PM
jjchrestman
New User
I love this truck, thanks for all the help everyone

Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 PM
jjchrestman
New User
I got a couple of the pressure switches off the accumulator from a salvage yard, I got four for $5, if that doesn't work, I hate to say it but I think I have to turn it over to the pros

Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 PM
jjchrestman
New User
And drrxr, wish I'd read your post first I'd taken whole accumulators rather than just the switch

Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't do used a/c parts cause you don't know if the are any good till you fill the system. Then if it's bad you have to drain the system and start all over which can get pricey.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jjchrestman
When I jumped the switch and compressor was running the engine idled terrible
Its very possible that your compressor is trying to lock up internally and causing a big load on the motor. it should turn smoothly by hand but it should have some resistance also.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:38 AM
culbertson1933
New User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
The gauge will read really high if the compressor isn't running. The gauge goes on the low pressure side and when it isn't running the high and low pressure lines equalize, so the low pressure side is high, the high side is low. There have been multiple people have issues with the plugs on the compressor. Make sure all the connections are tight. If that doesn't do it , then you may need to install a jumper in the high or low pressure switches to trouble shoot the issue. There can be issues as well with the clearances on the electric clutch on the compressor. There is a thread on here somewhere about removing a shim to make the clearances in the clutch what they should be. Let me see if I can find it.
my compressor (new ) isnt kicking on. New low and high side sensors. I can get the the compressor to kick on if I send it power with power probe. Tried bypassing sensors with wire still no luck. Checked fuses. Need some help

Old 04-13-2020, 12:35 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,185 Likes on 965 Posts
Start a new thread please.

The low switch will remain an open circuit until there is pressure in the system to close it, thus sending power down the line to the high switch and finally off to compressor.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor not turning on?