Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck detailing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 PM
gasgrunt88
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck detailing

I can't speak for all of y'all, but when it comes to my truck I am **** about its appearance. I wish it religiously and try to keep the inside as spotless as possible. Just curious what you guys use for detailing. I've the Turtle Wax ICE line of products: wash soap, clear coat restore, clay bar, and liquid wax. Inside I use ArmorAll wipes and RainX glass cleaner. Have you guys ever tried those silicone water blades for drying as opposed to a shamois? Also, what kind of polish do you guys use for chrome and or wheels(stock)? I just use neverdul on everything from exhaust tip to bumpers and running boards. Seems to work out fine. That turned out a bit long for a discussion on detailing but like I said I'm **** about the cleanliness.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I,m another one that like's to keep a clean truck, sharpe truck you have. Lets see Chris, Armor All inside and tires and rims, yes, rims. They get dirty but the shine is deep for the aluminum, looks good. Mothers liquid wax using a buffer, Turtle wax chrome cleaner and any kind of soap wash. Never used a waterblade but use my shamois(shami,lol) After seeing Barry's truck at RRE, I need to get one of those claybars..

Old 08-18-2009, 09:48 PM
gasgrunt88
Elder User
I had heard that the shami can be bad for the paint, thats why I was asking about the water blade. I might have to pick one up and see how I like it.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used a water blade. They work very well. On flat surfaces and glass they are excellent. On others not as well. I still need to go over the truck with a micro fibre towel though to dry off the rest of it. Well worth the $6 for them though.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Never had a problem with mine. You have to be careful what one you get, I'll show you mine when we GTG again. Subscribing on the waterblade though.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
That claybar is somethin else. I use it once a year on all the imperfections...smooth as a babys butt after using and then waxing...

Meguiars wax on the outside and armor all inside. Not too particular on the soap. Usually the big blue coral jug from wally world.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
When I do get around to washing mine, I use a silicon water blade it works well. I really like it on the windows, help keep the spotting down to a minimum.
As far as soap, I learned on here from someone to use Murphys oil soap. It is very gentle and it works very well.

BTW, FYI these trucks don't have a clear coat from the factory. It's a single stage paint.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HKusp
When I do get around to washing mine, I use a silicon water blade it works well. I really like it on the windows, help keep the spotting down to a minimum.
As far as soap, I learned on here from someone to use Murphys oil soap. It is very gentle and it works very well.

BTW, FYI these trucks don't have a clear coat from the factory. It's a single stage paint.
Somethin I did not know. What was Ford's reasoning behind that vs. the base/clear?
(besides cost)

Old 08-18-2009, 10:30 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HKusp

Where did you hear this?

I just use soap and water on mine. Sometimes tire shine.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Wab truck cab cleaner on my interior. Rain-X glass cleaner usually, but I'm not too picky on glass cleaner. I just cleaned my headliner and seats with Tuff Stuff. It worked great. Except it took the lettering off the big sticker on my drivers side sun visor, but I just peeled it off and it got so clean you can't even tell where the sticker was. I use whatever to wash the exterior. And the engine bay gets Simple Green. And one little trick I learned from my brother was to use glass cleaner on the chrome between polishing if you want to shine it up quick. It works great.

If anyone goes out and tries the WAB truck cab cleaner make sure you either diliute it very heavily or keep it off the glass because it WILL etch glass if it is put on un-diluted. They recommend diluting it 1:100 for cleaning glass. It will take most anything off your interior though. Dad's 6.0 had a soda can freeze and blow up in the cab and that stuff took it right off.

Anyone got any suggestions for removing tree sap? I got some on my truck at RRE and I have got no ideas on getting it off.

Oh and I'm a big believer in clay bars. The 6.0 had rail dust on it that was causing rust specks in the paint and a clay bar made the paint look new.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 PM
derekmj64
Senior User
When it comes to detailing the inside I use windex for the windows and armorall for the dash. The outside I usually wash with dish soap and as for drying I have one of the water blades but I mostly use my leaf blower it works a lot faster. For my wheels I polish them with Busch aluminum polish and wax the truck with turtle wax ice and use an orbital buffer. I also paint my underside of my truck twice a year with krylon paint.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
racincowboy
Senior User
I use Pledge on my dash and plastic parts on the inside. I used Hollywood's (Gauze type) metal polish on the aluminum on my truck, sandrail and banshee's. That stuff is amazing with microfiber towels. It takes normal old aluminum and shines it up to blinding shiny in like 2 passes or so. I love it. I have used the liquid polish too that works better for big jobs and a buffer. I recommend the medical grade gauze in the small canister for little jobs.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff7825
Where did you hear this?

I just use soap and water on mine. Sometimes tire shine.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
When I got my damage repaired from someone hitting me in a parking lot. The guy at the insurance company told me that, and my friend who owns the bodyshop that I deal with confirmed it. I thought it was strange too.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:30 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gasgrunt88
I can't speak for all of y'all, but when it comes to my truck I am **** about its appearance. I wish it religiously and try to keep the inside as spotless as possible. Just curious what you guys use for detailing. I've the Turtle Wax ICE line of products: wash soap, clear coat restore, clay bar, and liquid wax. Inside I use ArmorAll wipes and RainX glass cleaner. Have you guys ever tried those silicone water blades for drying as opposed to a shamois? Also, what kind of polish do you guys use for chrome and or wheels(stock)? I just use neverdul on everything from exhaust tip to bumpers and running boards. Seems to work out fine. That turned out a bit long for a discussion on detailing but like I said I'm **** about the cleanliness.
Turtle Wax, water blades, all those are is a big NO NO!

If you want to detail your car, here's the proper way to do it:

1. wash car with a wash bucket and grit guard, a wash sponge
http://www.detailersdomain.com/ubery...ashsponge.aspx

2. dry with a microfiber, I prefer a jumbo weave
http://www.detailersdomain.com/uberj...towelblue.aspx

3. clay bar the entire car. I use adam's quick detail as lube
http://www.detailersdomain.com/uberblueclaybar.aspx

if you just want to wax, do so next.

4. I use use a black applicator and Einszett Glanz, it's a combination wax + sealant. Apply with a black or red applicator.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zeinszettglanzwax.aspx

alternatively, you can use a true sealant like Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket and apply a carnuba wax over the top

if you want to machine polish with an orbital such as the Flex or Porter Cable, that's a whole nother process.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: Truck detailing