Tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 PM
FX4Tman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning questions

Ok, so as Im gearing up for a build on my truck, I want to know some feasabilty/parts needed for a motor build. Bear with me here, im a GM guy just getting associated with the mod motor. I know very little about building these motors.

Truck: 03 FX4 SCrew

Needs: Trailer towing, and a little more **** and get on the road. Id rather have a flat tq curve from 2000rpm-5000rpm than crazy hp numbers

Projected build:
5.4 sourced from an early 2000's Navigator (want the dohc heads) with a lightning sourced supercharger.

Questions:
Computer tuning.- Laptop based programs? (Im a gm guy so im familar with LS1 Edit)

Injector flow rates? I would assume the stock lightning injectors would supply adequate fueling for this farily mild build.

How much boost will a stock bottom end hold? I dont want to run more than 8-10psi for longevity purposes. Im not building a drag truck here.

Transmission? I really dont have much faith in the stock trans behind this setup. Better trans out there?

Any point to this? Would a set of cams, some tuning, a set of underdrive pulleys and my re-worked exhaust give me what im looking for at a fraction of the price.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4Tman
5.4 sourced from an early 2000's Navigator (want the dohc heads) with a lightning sourced supercharger.
How are you planning on adapting the 2V S/C to the 4V heads?
JL

Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 PM
FX4Tman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And this is exactly why I asked. I thought they were interchangeable Thank you. Anyone build a roots style charger for the 4 valve heads?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4Tman
And this is exactly why I asked. I thought they were interchangeable Thank you. Anyone build a roots style charger for the 4 valve heads?
Kenne Bell and Whipple both make kits for the 32V 4.6L's-you might check with them about a lower manifold that'll work with the 5.4L's wider cylinder head spacing. I seem to recall there was a company planning to build a lower that would use the Lightning upper inlet and compressor-I just can't remember who it was.
JL