Fender Trimming & Tool advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fender Trimming & Tool advice please

I'm looking for some advice with a project I need to tackle soon.

I recently picked up a set of Bushwacker cut-out flares and I'm not sure which electric nibbler I should be looking at for the project. Would an electric 16 gauge do well for me? I don't know what gauge steel the fenders actually are.

Also,,,

Can anyone tell/show me exactly where to measure from as per the product instruction manual (item below):

Step 4:
Cutting Front (See Illustration #2)

(A) ---
(B) ---
(C) ---
(D) Measure from the bottom of the lower rocker panel up along the

door seam 8 1/2” and mark that point with a grease pencil.

Should this start point (bottom of the lower rocker panel) be taken from the bottom of the curve of the rocker using a level?

Rick...

Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My air nibbler goes to 14 gauge but 16 gauge is probably heavier than you will run into. Just remember that is cutting flat metal. Curved metal won't fit the slot near as good. While I use my nibbler and air body saw, just a plain jigsaw with metal cutting blade will do the job. As far as the measurements, I just usually tape the flairs on till I get it to suit, equal on both sides and outline with grease pencil, then measure in enough for the flairs every inch and tape my cut line.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:19 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gfw1985,
Thanks for input.
It sounds like my jigsaw will do the job for me.
I had thought to tape the flares in possition and measure in but I took it for granted it wouldn't work because they (the flares) are larger than the original well opening. I will try a dry fit the first chance I get in the next couple of days.

Rick...

Originally Posted by gfw1985
My air nibbler goes to 14 gauge but 16 gauge is probably heavier than you will run into. Just remember that is cutting flat metal. Curved metal won't fit the slot near as good. While I use my nibbler and air body saw, just a plain jigsaw with metal cutting blade will do the job. As far as the measurements, I just usually tape the flairs on till I get it to suit, equal on both sides and outline with grease pencil, then measure in enough for the flairs every inch and tape my cut line.