1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Rain leak on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 PM
triassic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain leak on passenger side

I know there are a few threads on this, but I have some specific questions. My 1997 Ranger's passenger floor gets wet underneith the carpet after heavy rains, and I've determined that it does in fact come from large amounts of water in the intake area under the grate in front of the windshield. When the vehicle is flat, water runs out on the driver's side significantly faster than on the passenger side. When I put the driver's side up on a ramp (an exaggeration of being parked in the street, where I always park) it runs out the passnger side at a decent rate, but not as fast as it ever comes out the other side. Eventually water leaks in from behind the kicker panel.

I assumed the passenger side must be clogged. I read that you have to take the plastic shroud out from the wheel well to get to the hose where it drains out. I did this, but there's no hose. It's just a 1" x 1" hole way up inside the fender. Feels like it might just be straight out from the side of the trough. I can't see straight in it, can only feel it. Feels like there's a piece of hard plastic in front of the hole with some flaps cut into the bottom of it. When I stick my fingers in it doesn't feel like there's anything clogging it. One tiny little twig was all I found. I even stuck some wire in and could see it through the grate.

So what's the deal with this? Does it drain slower on the passenger side by design, or is there probably a clog somewhere I'm not finding? If it's draining as fast as it's supposed to, is there a seal somewhere that's leaking when the trough fills up a little? The windshield was replaced about 5 years ago, maybe they did a bad job, but it seems more likely that it's not draining fast enough and is just coming in where the air comes in.

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Rangers are notorious for windshield seal leaks, especially on the pass. side. Ask a windshield shop to check it, if they can find the leak and mark it, you can seal it yourself with RTV silicone.