Sponsored by:

Anyone remove cargo carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Xdaddy517
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone remove cargo carpet?

I searched, but couldn't find anything specific, so I'm posting. In this weekend's HTF-did-that-happen files, 2/3 of a brand new gallon of 2-cycle oil, which was in a plastic bin with cover, managed to spill in the back of my tow vehicle, an '01 Ex, which is also the wife's armored kiddie carrier. Anyone with experience/knowledge to advise on clean up of said spill? And for full disclosure, I already got impatient and attacked the mess by soaking a fabric-degreasing solution and then vacuuming it up with the wife's upholstery wet-vac. I believe I put a dent in it, but I don't think I got enough that the wife will put up with the smell and need to consider replacing the whole thing. That looks easier to do, since basically it's a big rectangle from the cargo area to just under the 3rd row seat, with four cutouts for the seat hinges/latches and small holes for the delta ring tie-downs. I might even turn lemons into lemonade and drop in some rubber/vinyl diamondplate instead of carpet to make future clean-ups a breeze. I just wanted to see if anyone knows how what has to be done to get the carpet out.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:28 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
My wife is a pet groomer and uses a product that pretty much dissolves grease, it's called "Top Performance Pro Formula Degreaser".

I had a yellow shirt that when I was changing my daughters oil filter ran down my arm into my sleeve, shirt was ruined with dirty motor oil. Put this stuff on it let it sit over night, ran it through the wash, you would never have known it had been soaked in dirty motor oil. Last Friday my wife got pizza oil on her white pants, she put this stuff on it and rinsed it with cold water, no pizza oil.

Here is a link to the supplier for the stuff:

http://www.petedge.com/Top-Performan...er-TP96116.pro

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Removing the carpet is easy.

Remove the third row.

Remove all 4 cargo tie down rings.

Pull up the plastic trim part that it on the ledge right behind the second row. The plastic part is the front part of that piece so don't try to separate it from the carpet!

The carpet tucks underneath the edges of the trim panels out back so just pull it out. You may need a tool like a scraper to help push it back under when you reinstall...unless you remove the panels.

I pressure wash mine every 6-9 months. If you have a pressure washer that might make your job a bit easier. As to the solution to use...I've had really good results with Castol Super Clean from Wal-Mart.

And you CAN get a full plastic/rubber/whatever part for that area here...http://www.auto-interior.com/moldedvinyl.htm

Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Monsta
As to the solution to use...I've had really good results with Castol Super Clean from Wal-Mart.
Read the directions carefully, wear gloves and dulite it way down, don't get it on painted surfaces or metal parts.

From what I read about that stuff it will remove the oils and fat from your skin.

Banned in California, but then again what isn't...lol

Great post on removing the rear carpet Monsta...I tried reps but the rep police said not today, gotta spread it around some more.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Xdaddy517
Freshman User
Beautiful. I'll be much more thorough and effective to clean it if I can take it out. Thanks for the feedback, all!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sddesigns, its not hat strong. i have used it to strip the wax off of my X and it hasnt done anything to the paint yet. i also use it to clean the floor mats. I use it full strength. no harm yet. it does tingle if you dont wash it off after a bit. lol. it tingles.....

Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RACERX7775
sddesigns, its not hat strong. i have used it to strip the wax off of my X and it hasnt done anything to the paint yet. i also use it to clean the floor mats. I use it full strength. no harm yet. it does tingle if you dont wash it off after a bit. lol. it tingles.....

That tingle is your skin melting...lol

SECTION VI - Health Hazard Data
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Route of Entry: Skin YES
Route of Entry: Ingestion YES
Route of Entry: Inhalation YES
Health Hazards - Acute and Chronic [EYE] IRRITATION, REDNESS, TEARING, PAIN. CONJUNCTIVAL SWELLING, BURNS. [SKIN] IRRITATION, REDNESS, EXTREME DRYNESS AND PEELING, SCARRING. [INHAL] NASAL AND RESPIRATORY IRRITATION, PNEUMONITIS, TISSUE DAMAGE
Symptoms of Overexposure SEE ABOVE
Medical Cond. Aggrevated by Exposure NR
Emergency/First Aid Procedures [EYE] IMMEDIATELY FLUSH WITH PLENTY O FCLEAN WATER FOR AT LEAST 15 MIN. CONSULT A PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY. [SKIN] REMOVE CLOTHING. IMMEDIATELY FLUSH SKIN WITH PLENTY OF CLEAN WATER FOR 15 MIN. CALL PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY [INHAL] REMOVE FROM AREA OF EXPOSURE. IF BREATHING IS DIFFICULT OR IRRITATION PERSISTS, CALL A PHYSICIAN. [INGEST] DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. GIVE PLENTY OF WATER OF MILK AND CALL A PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT GIVE ANYTHING BY MOUTH TO AN UNCONSCIOUS OR CONVULSING PERSON

This is the referenced MSDS Sheet for it....

http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/m...a/wcd00aef.htm

Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
It's definitely strong stuff - I've used it quite a bit and if used full strength it will make your hands peel within a day or so. It's a very effective degreaser - it's removing the oils from your hands and drying your skin out. Not good...

However - get some good nitrile gloves (blue ones) not latex and mix about 30% (or less) Super Clean to water and it does wonders for stains in almost anything. Full strength you can use it on oil spills on concrete and let it sit and while you drink a beer.... it will get the stain almost completely out.

You are on the right track by taking the carpet out which will allow you to clean it much better than if you tried it in place. This will also allow you to clean the bottom if it has soaked all of the way through. After you have it out lay it on the driveway away from things which may get damaged by cleaner overspray. Soak the carpet in water and then pour cleaner directly on it - either Super Clean, Simple Green, Purple Power - whatever you can find at your local store. These are all very effective at getting grease/oil out of various materials. Use a good brush to scrub the solution into the carpet and let it sit for 30 mins or so - then scrub again. Don't let it dry - shouldn't in 30 mins since you soaked the carpet initially with water. Now you can rinse the entire thing out. After a good initial rinse you can probably use your carpet shampooer to get the remainder out - it will suds up quite a bit in a machine so be prepared to empty the container often. Let dry. I'd then go over it again with a more carpet friendly product like something meant for your shampooer - this will help get the remainder of dirt, etc out and also get rid of the degreaser smell.

One word of caution on the pressure washer - it can damage the fibers of the carpet and it can leave permanent directional lines in it - depending on how you use it. If you have an adjustable nozzle on your washer use the lowest pressure or widest angle and don't hold it close to the carpet.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 AM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My carpet got ruined shortly after I purchased the Ex. I was taking a battery down to WalMart to get a replacement and it tipped over. Battery acid ate the carpet at the tie downs. I never replaced it but would like to some day.

Where would you get a new piece?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Monsta
Removing the carpet is easy.

Remove the third row.

Remove all 4 cargo tie down rings.

Pull up the plastic trim part that it on the ledge right behind the second row. The plastic part is the front part of that piece so don't try to separate it from the carpet!

The carpet tucks underneath the edges of the trim panels out back so just pull it out. You may need a tool like a scraper to help push it back under when you reinstall...unless you remove the panels.

I pressure wash mine every 6-9 months. If you have a pressure washer that might make your job a bit easier. As to the solution to use...I've had really good results with Castol Super Clean from Wal-Mart.

And you CAN get a full plastic/rubber/whatever part for that area here...http://www.auto-interior.com/moldedvinyl.htm
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
My carpet got ruined shortly after I purchased the Ex. I was taking a battery down to WalMart to get a replacement and it tipped over. Battery acid ate the carpet at the tie downs. I never replaced it but would like to some day.

Where would you get a new piece?

Monsta had a good link in his post above for replacement carpets.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an extra one in tan, used, taking up space in my garage. It' not perfect, but better than a battery acid spill. Extra tie-downs too...

Old 08-11-2009, 12:29 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
There is a seller on ebay (theautotrimstore) who has the entire carpet set for only $264.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...=p4506.c0.m245