1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel Bowl Diagram

Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Diesel_Dirk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a benefit to use one style bowl over the other, 94-95 vs 96-97?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI
I recently had a hole form in the bottom of my bowl. I removed it and patched it with JB weld. Now two weeks ago I removed it again to install the electric fuel system and low and behold there was another small drip trying to form. It was leaking again and in another spot.

If you do repair your bowl and reuse it, after removingthe heater, I would highly recommend Putting a full layer of JB weld over the entire bottom of the bowl. I personally thought about doing it on the inside. The heater and drain are far enough from the bottom as to not interfere. This would be more of a permanent fix.

My bet is the bowl is leaking from the bottom and that is where your other leak is.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
FYI
I recently had a hole form in the bottom of my bowl. I removed it and patched it with JB weld. Now two weeks ago I removed it again to install the electric fuel system and low and behold there was another small drip trying to form. It was leaking again and in another spot.

If you do repair your bowl and reuse it, after removingthe heater, I would highly recommend Putting a full layer of JB weld over the entire bottom of the bowl. I personally thought about doing it on the inside. The heater and drain are far enough from the bottom as to not interfere. This would be more of a permanent fix.

My bet is the bowl is leaking from the bottom and that is where your other leak is.
I also had a leak in the bottom, and I repaired it with JB weld, INSIDE and OUTSIDE and till now no more leaks.
I also know that others has gone to a weld shop and welded it with good results.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
TPM
Senior User
Jose, Rog,
I think I found the problem though I don't have the whole assembly out yet. When I opened the water seperator drain valve the fuel did not flow out by the front of the engine. Instead it flowed out the valley at the back of the engine. It always flowed out the front before and splashed on my boots. I think when I lifted the fuel bowl to get the pump hoses on that we might have broken the drain valve and hose.

That is where I am stuck right now - how to get the drain tube or hose disconnected. I'll keep you posted on progress. I am making notes and taking pictures as I go.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
I did that same thing before. The drain hose is just a rubber hose where it connects to the bowl. It doesn't even have a clamp on it. Just slips on, maybe it slid off.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
I did that same thing before. The drain hose is just a rubber hose where it connects to the bowl. It doesn't even have a clamp on it. Just slips on, maybe it slid off.
Neal is right, but mine has a hose regular clamp there.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM
TPM
Senior User
Neal, I think that is what happened. Also think the drain valve is or a seal is broken and that is why it leaks - it leaks very litte when engine is running and seems to leak down after the engine is stopped and over a couple of days.

I read on here that someone ran a drain tube out over the back of the engine. I think I will do that too.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 AM
TPM
Senior User
Update

Got the whole assembly out. I have been taking pictures as I go and have an step by step procedure going. So far it looks like the drain hose was off of the nipple and that the seals on the fuel-water seperator were suspect. Also found a hose clamp loose - not all the way loose just not tight. Its on the driver side rear and connects a tube from the bowl to a tube that heads toward the driverside front.

Next step is remove heater element, clean bowl and JB weld it. The bowl looked rather clean, very little crud. Did not see any holes and doubt that a pinhole would be visible. I'll do the JBWeld anyway. I do not have priveleges yet to post images or attachments so if I can send these to someone maybe the images and procedure can be posted.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Post them on photobucket or any other photo hosting site. Then you can link them up here.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 PM
TPM
Senior User
Uploading now to http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/TechPM/

Also posted at: http://ki6upy.ki6ttf.googlepages.com/tpm

Thanks.

Last edited by TPM; 08-17-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Nice pics!! Interesting to see the valley from the back side. Looks like you got the fuel system covered for a while.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Arrow

Originally Posted by pjwoolw
Nice pics!! Interesting to see the valley from the back side. Looks like you got the fuel system covered for a while.
Yeap, VERY GOOD PICS, you are an artist, and as Pete said, is rare to see the valley from the back.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 PM
TPM
Senior User
Fuel Bowl Images

Updated Images and new link
http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/u...M/Fuel%20Bowl/

Last edited by TPM; 08-18-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 08-21-2009, 08:02 PM
TPM
Senior User
Update. I cleaned the bowl and found nothing that looks like corrosion or a leak. I suspect it was the drain valve leaking at the seals or it wasn't closing all the way. The hose for the drain had slipped off and that's why it was draining out the back of the valley and not down the front of the engine as it always did when draining the bowl.

The fuel heater element looked fine and had continuity. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it.

I installed a new drain valve assembly and bought new fuel hose for the drain and the connections to the fuel bowl. Tomorrow I will put it back in and if it leaks, you will be the second to know. I'll have more pictures of the cleaned up bowl and reassembly.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:07 AM
kawa
Postmaster
TPM:
You need to get your nails re-done, the polish is flaking off.

Rog

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Bowl Diagram