Pulled code # 1530

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:01 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Pulled code # 1530

Says A/C Compressor Clutch Circuit open. A/C blows hot air....go to VENT and the EATC controls the temp fine (ambient air only). It's on a '97 Lincoln Mark VIII if it makes any difference.

Clutch does not engage but the compressor does turn. Also the EATC will NOT go into the test mode. Push OFF and Floor at same time, then AUTO within two seconds. Nothing. Anyone got any ideas? Is this a clutch gap problem? New clutch was installed about a year ago.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:18 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Sounds like an EATC failure.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Behind the code 1530 in my code book, it has in (), (VLCM). Variable Load Control Module. Guess it's time to go through all the Pinpoint checks to find out what it really is.....guess it COULD be the EATC - or it COULD be the VLCM ...... or it COULD be the clutch clearance issue (I now doubt that).

Old 08-03-2009, 04:28 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Originally Posted by BPofMD
Behind the code 1530 in my code book, it has in (), (VLCM). Variable Load Control Module. Guess it's time to go through all the Pinpoint checks to find out what it really is.....guess it COULD be the EATC - or it COULD be the VLCM ...... or it COULD be the clutch clearance issue (I now doubt that).
I did find out this is ABOVE my head! Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I guess this goes back to the dealer.....$$$$$$. I just don't want to spend bucks for used parts only to find out that what I bought is not the problem......

projectSHO89 - Why do you say it sounds like the EATC? Is there any way I can confirm that it is?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:44 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Because the EATC won't go into self test mode.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Got a used one on the way...thanks.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:08 AM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bud,
For info specific to your Mark VIII, you might try www.lincolnsonline.com.

I too suspect a failed EATC unit, but if the refrigerant charge is low I believe that will also set a fault code and disable the compressor. (sorry, I haven't worked on an VIII in a long time). You may want to check the system pressures just to make sure there is enough pressure to enable the compressor circuit.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

I belong to Lincolns of Distinction too..... just was trying to get as much input as I could.... Refrigerant is fine. Running 120 lbs pressure on low side withOUT the compressor running.

'preciate the advise! BTW, everyone is saying EATC ... but I AM hedging my bet....got a VLCM coming in too WITH the EATC. LOL

Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Installed know good EATC today.... same problem as before.....

projectSHO89: Got any other ideas?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:26 AM
dstig1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Says A/C Compressor Clutch Circuit open. A/C blows hot air....go to VENT and the EATC controls the temp fine (ambient air only). It's on a '97 Lincoln Mark VIII if it makes any difference.

Clutch does not engage but the compressor does turn. Also the EATC will NOT go into the test mode. Push OFF and Floor at same time, then AUTO within two seconds. Nothing. Anyone got any ideas? Is this a clutch gap problem? New clutch was installed about a year ago.
Doesn't make sense: The only way the compressor turns is if the clutch engages. If you are just saying that the pulley spins, sure it always does w/engine running, but the center portion of the pulley is the clutch. If that doesn't spin then your compressor is not running.

I don't know this specific code, but if the description is AC clutch circuit OPEN then I would look for a bad connection, clutch coil unplugged, check voltages at the clutch coil, etc. Could be a bad connection or a bad coil or....

Another option is the LP switch is bad preventing the clutch from engaging (you said you had 120 psi at rest, so the system is charged).

But the part about not controlling the temp in one mode only is weird. That has me puzzled...

-Dave

Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Problem solved.... as I have never had the main compressor electrical plug off, I don't have a clue of WHY this happened. Found main plug on compressor with one pin not pushed in.....like someone pulled the plug and when they pushed it back on, it was misalligned and they pushed it in/on anyway and pushed one pin out...but not all the way. It lasted for ???? thousand miles until last week when it disconnected.

How we found it was I was going to check clutch for proper shim clearance and pulled both plugs on the compressor just for the heck of it....a light into the plugs found the pushed out pin.

So Dave, what you just said makes all the sense in the world.....Glad I found it yesterday as today I was giving up and taking it to the dealer..... I'll bet it would have gotten expensive!

Thank you all for your input.