1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 tickets at one time

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:28 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
There ought to be more laws against this... It's pointless & dangerous.

You may think me an @$$, but I've always enjoyed inverting the hitches left in receivers.
Do what???? You ought to know better than to mess with a man's truck in Texas. It can get deadly.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 PM
ehchvac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=TexasRebel;7784826]There ought to be more laws against this... It's pointless & dangerous.

You may think me an @$$, but I've always enjoyed inverting the hitches left in receivers.

You may think me an @$$, but keep your hands off other peoples stuff,
and then lets hope you have a speedy recovery from being kicked in the back of the head, driving your face into someones tailgate as you are bent over vandalizing their trucks reversing hitches.
If you werent fondling other peoples trucks or being close enough to vandalize, you wouldnt hit your shins on their hitches.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 AM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

If I saw you f'n with my hitch, I would think you are trying to steal it and act accordingly, but that is unlikely because I always use locking hitch pins anyway. You really should know better living in texas. I don't condone this behavior, but if you did that crap here in new orleans there are some crazy m.f.'s who will mess you up for anything and this is not an eggsaderation. I was passing through north carolina in my last van, a 350 with a kuv body and an empty car trailer, I was pulled over by some idiot for not stopping at the weigh station with an empty van and trailer. The gvwr was 9600 lbs., but he said that the combined weight of the trailer and truck puts it in another catagory. These laws that apply to personal vehicles are ridiculas, and should never have been passed in the first place. I guess they can get away with that crap because they took away everyones guns in canada. I think they all but took them in california and mass. as well. Remember the second amendment was put in place to keep the government from becoming too oppressive.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:30 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
you have to admit, it's an effective method...

locking pins are a good waste of money...
if you want to pay extra just to be able to keep a reciever insert in, well... I have a few mods that need funding

[/hijack]

Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
no I pay extra so my trailer doesn't get stolen.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:48 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
I believe in NY any pickup truck must be registered as commercial. I dont know if there are ways around that or not, but my dad who still lives in northern NY has always had commercial plates on his trucks, even his old F150. I remember once years ago I asked him about it he said something like if you own a truck they figure you will eventually use it for commercial purposes some time or other IDK. I'm going to reg my F350 next week for the first time, I hope I dont have to go commercial or have any problems driving through other states...

Originally Posted by TexasRebel
There ought to be more laws against this... It's pointless & dangerous.

Its only dangerous to idiots. Thats light saying trucks should be outlawed because its more likely to kill the person in the little eco 2 seater in a crash. At least that has more validity, as those lawsuits have actually come up.

Pointless? I use mine all the time as a step... even a stock height an small tired F350 now-a-days sits so darn high you cant even reach the bumper with your foot. And I also consider it a safety feature btw - my anti-submarining device for rear end collisions. I at least try to not have it sticking out in the way for unobservant folks to bash there knees on, I always back into spots when I can, but the 172" wheelbase on the new truck sometimes makes that difficult.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Shiner Bock
New User
Messing with another man's truck, especially in Texas, is what's dangerous and pointless and there is a law against that. If you really want your *** kicked for a cause, there's gotta be something better than that.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco
Its only dangerous to idiots.
Heh heh... ...that pretty much sums it up. I'd rep you if I could. If you bang your shin on someone's ball mount,and blame anyone but yourself, well, yes indeed you are an idiot!

Originally Posted by 78bigbronco
And I also consider it a safety feature btw - my anti-submarining device for rear end collisions.
Agreed. Could keep that text-messaging ricer from messing up your whole rear end, as opposed to just messing up your hitch.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Pointless? I use mine all the time as a step...
I guess I keep mine too greased

Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Rcmgiasson
Senior User
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
I guess they can get away with that crap because they took away everyones guns in canada.
Absolutely of no use to the OP, but I don't think anyones guns got taken away here in canada...

Old 08-02-2009, 04:12 PM
X GM GUY
Senior User
Head Viking: Your friend was welcomed to the word of commercial trucking by the "Safety *****" of the MOT.
Because of his trucks GVW they consider his truck to be commercial and he is expected to follow all the rules and regs for any large truck. The MOT has expanded their " safety net" to duallies as many of them haul small floats and other work trailers.
Large trucks are becoming more compliant with the regs, as a result the next best source of revenue in Dalton McGinty's "Nanny State" is duallies. I wish your friend good luck and suggest he fight the tickets in court, if he is not using his truck commercially

Old 08-02-2009, 09:10 PM
57fomoco
Senior User

I've been rearended 3 times by illegals with out any insurance, they all tryed to run but were stopped by my pintal hitch that I always leave in place. It is hard to run when your radiator is making an envirormental spill on the blacktop. I have had to by some black paint to touch up my hitch.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:36 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 57fomoco
I've been rearended 3 times by illegals with out any insurance, they all tryed to run but were stopped by my pintal hitch that I always leave in place. It is hard to run when your radiator is making an envirormental spill on the blacktop. I have had to by some black paint to touch up my hitch.
Heh heh, I love it. All you have to do is patiently follow them...

Hey, do you think it is illegal to sharpen a piece of 2" square bar stock to a point, and stick it in your receiver? It would be awesome for tailgaters.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
57fomoco
Senior User

That one might be a little harder to explain to the responding officer

Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Headviking
Posting Guru

I found this on an the MTO wen site.
-------------------------------
Vehicles That Are Exempt From Inspection

A Daily Vehicle Inspection Is Not Required On:

General Vehicles
a truck with a registered gross weight and an actual weight of 4,500 kg or less, whether towing a trailer or not and regardless of the trailer's weight,
a personal use pick-up truck,
a truck leased by an individual for 30 days or less to move their personal goods, or to carry passengers without compensation,
a truck and towed trailer that is being road-tested, for the purposes of repairs, within 30 kilometres of a repair facility where the vehicle is being repaired by the holder of a valid certificate of qualification as an automotive service technician or as a truck and coach technician issued under the Apprenticeship and Certification Act, 1998 or by an apprentice under that Act,
an empty truck operated under the authority of a dealer plate or in-transit permit,
a historic truck that has a vehicle permit for a historic vehicle,
an ambulance, fire apparatus, cardiac arrest emergency vehicle, hearse, casket wagon, mobile crane, and a tow truck,
an emergency vehicle and towed trailer while responding to or returning from an emergency,
a truck and towed trailer while providing relief from an earthquake, flood, fire, famine, drought, epidemic, pestilence or other disaster by transporting passengers or goods,
a trailer converter dolly that is not carrying a trailer, and
a road building machine.
Recreational Vehicles
a motor home and a truck camper with the camper installed, including any type of trailer or vehicle towed by the motor home or truck camper,
a truck, regardless of size and weight, that is towing a house trailer that is being used for personal purposes,
a house trailer being used for personal purposes, and
a car tow dolly.
Farm Vehicles
a two-axle or three-axle truck or tractor, not drawing a trailer, that is primarily used to transport primary products of a farm, forest, sea or lake produced or harvested by the driver or the driver’s employer. (includes farm plated trucks) (primary products include livestock, horses and poultry),
a self-propelled implement of husbandry, farm tractor or any towed farm equipment, and
farm equipment towed by a truck.

And this regarding a personal pickup
------------------------
personal use pickup truck
means a pickup truck;

that has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 kg (13,227 lb) or less, and
is fitted with either,
the original box that was installed by the manufacturer, which has not been modified, or
a replacement box that duplicates the one that was installed by the manufacturer, which has not been modified.
and
is being used for personal purposes without compensation, and
is not carrying, or towing a trailer that is carrying commercial cargo or tools or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes.
Note:
the personal use pickup exemption applies regardless of the pickup's registered gross weight or any actual weights of the pickup or trailer.
a pickup that is normally used for business purposes, including a farm plated pickup, qualifies as a personal use pickup if it complies with and is being used in accordance with the personal use pickup rules above.
a trailer that is normally used for business purposes qualifies as a personal use trailer if it complies with and is being used in accordance with the rules above and is towed with a personal use pickup.
some 450 and 550 series cab and chassis trucks are converted to large pickups or are fitted with fifth wheels for towing house or other types of trailers. This type of truck does not qualify as personal use pickup because the vehicle manufacturer did not install the box and the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating will likely be over 6,000 kg. If the registered gross weight or actual weight of this type of truck is over 4,500 kg, the truck and any towed trailer, including a personal use trailer, are subject to daily inspection. However, this type of truck is exempt when towing a personal-use house trailer.
The following considerations may assist in determining whether a pick-up is being used for personal use:
pick-ups towing house trailers, camper trailers, boat trailers, all terrain vehicle and snowmobile trailers, etc. used for recreational purposes are examples of personal use trailers.
stockcar and racecar trailers, when operated for recreational purposes, are normally considered personal, even though a purse may be involved in the racing.
The following is offered as guidance when towing horses;
personal use would include moving a horse to or from;
fairs, exhibitions, horse shows, ploughing matches, pulling competitions.
boarding facilities, where the horse is not included in a for-profit business.
business use would include moving a horse to or from;
a racetrack sanctioned by the Ontario Racing Commission, for the purposes of racing, training or breeding.
a horse used for riding by a facility where the public pays a fee to ride the horse.
a horse transported by a person in the business of breeding or boarding horses for profit.

I think he may have a case here.

Quick Reply: 3 tickets at one time