Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 PM
tinker934
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Steering

i have a 03 7.3 with a 6' and 285/75/16 keep in mind its a 2wd. less then a year ago i replaced the the four steering links and now im getting a pop when i move the wheel. so im thinking that the left hand inner and maybe the center drag link is also gone ? so going to get them both new and replace and realignment again. now would a steering stablizer help/work and who makes one for the 2wd sd or im goin to make one up

Old 07-29-2009, 03:07 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Don't count out ball joints, sway bar end links and maybe a hub needle bearing. It's hard to narrow it down without being there, but I would think that if it's popping from the steering (drag links or tie rods) then you would feel it in the steering wheel.

Does it only happen when turning (especially in one direction)? That could be the needle bearing or ball joints possibly.

does it happen when you go over bumps? That could be the sway bar end links possibly.

Front end noises can be hard to find. I wouldn't jump right on the steering components, especially since you replaced them recently. You can check for play in the wheel by jacking it up off the ground. If you can move the wheel side to side (<-- -->) then you have steering issues (tie rod/drag link/pitman arm/steering box). Use a 2x4 and try to pry up from under the tire. If you have up and down movement then you have possible ball joint issues. The only way to check you needle bearing (that I know of) is to pull the hub off and inspect it (there's a good write-up here http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/nblube.php) on how to do it.

I know it's not an answer, but I hope it helps.