Two slide brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM
74baja
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two slide brake controller

The brake controller that came with my truck has two adjustment slides, one that says Hard and one that says Soft. I have trouble adjusting it so that the trailer brakes engage first, but the tires don't lock up when I slow down. How do you adjust one of these?
Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

Before you flat-spot your trailer's tires or get into a situation that better trailer braking would have prevented, why not spend around $100 and get a Prodigy controller? I don't know what you're towing but it's probably worth more than that, plus the added safety and peace of mind would be nice - JMHO.

Steve

Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
The new ones are set up to be compatiable with the ABS brakes. The normally have two slides, one sets the maximum amount of current sent to the brake magnets and is usually labeled force. The other slide sets how long it takes in seconds to reach the current limit and is sometimes labeled ramp. It takes a little experimentation to get these set properly for your trailer but once set the only thing that should change is the max current setting if the weight of the trailer changes much.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Old Rusty Wrench
Senior User
I have tried several brake controllers the past 15 years then went for a Prodigy about 9 years back. Best I ever had. Works great never a problem on any surface, keeps the 5ver back were it belongs. Also works great during hookup.