Sponsored by: DP Tuner

suspension off

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 PM
mudbug04
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension off

Hey guys on the rear drivers side my truck is sittin down a little over 1" lower and it shows when comparing boths sides at the overloads and spacing between tire to body, is there anything i should check first before assuming new leaf springs?? any help appreciated.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:44 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Take a look at all of the mounting hardware to the frame and the axle to make sure it is still attached and looking good. I have heard of the springs cracking around the axle u-bolts and the frame mounts, so be sure to take a good look at that.

I know that trucks tend to lean a little more to the left side when the fuel tank is full. Also, there is a chance that maybe the bed has twisted too (happened on my old Toyota, thought it was sitting funny but my bed started to twists a bit).

Just my .02

Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM
mudbug04
Senior User
i looked it over a little bit last night and i didnt notice anything broke or cracked, i checked the springs around the u-bolts and looked at the mounts and didnt actually see anything broke or almost broke enough to make it lean like that, i'll check the springs out better when i get home though and how do you know if your bed would be actually twisted?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:32 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
If you "eyeball it" along the back of your cab, the bed should be parallel with the rear window. Then look at your tailgate and it should be straight across too. My bed has the slightest rise on the driver's side front. I haven't measured the distance between the wheel well and ground, but if the bed is off you can shim it to level it out IIRC.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
koabob
Freshman User
My truck is the same way. I think over time and miles with the weight of 38 gals. of fuel and the drive on that side your springs will sag a bit. I am looking at air bag helpers.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
mudbug04
Senior User
yessir i rekin so, my friends said i was just picky, which i probly am, but if there actually was somethin wrong i'd like to catch it before it hits bottom. i had that happen goin down the road in my old chevy before and had to do a road side weld job on the support to get it home (not fun).