Sponsored by:

synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 AM
URDADDY
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
synthetic?

OK, well I have my new (to me) excursion, is the V10 gas 2004, it has 60,000 miles on it. I have run synthetic oil in my last few vehicles and wonder what yall think about converting the Ex to synthetic.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I switched mine over as soon as I got it. I plan to keep it for a long time and will give it every opportunity to last. I've changed the front and rear diffs, xfer case and tranny over as well. The little additional cost is worth it too me. I was actually a bit surprised at how hot the engine got on the V10s - the 5.4's in my previous trucks never seemed to get this hot. The synthetics handle heat better, typically will last longer (but make sure you use a good filter) and keep your engine cleaner. The brand you use is completely up to you - I've had great luck with Amsoil and Mobil 1. I used to race a Miata and it only had Mobil 1 in it. After 2 seasons I tore the motor down and found no wear and no change in compression - this from a motor regularly running between 6500-7500 RPMs. It's no small feat to get a Miata down to 8mpg for the weekend!

Bottom line - you'll get a lot of different opinions on oil - use what you feel is going to protect your investment the best. I recommend a good filter to go along with what ever oil you choose - do a Google on oil filter comparisons and make your own decision there as well. Several sites have done cutaways to show the insides, drain back valve designs (or lack of), etc. One thing I'd recommend is to stay away from oil additives (including the ones embedded in the filters) - teflon, etc - they don't seem to do anything except take your money. Use a good quality oil and filter and you'll be good to go.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 AM
mgs
Junior User
I plan on using Mobil 1 5w-20 on my next oil change for the V10. Mobil 1 10w-30 has worked great in my '98 Explorer 4.0L OHC motor, Mike.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 AM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
in a word, YES. best value for money investment you can make in your vehicle is switching over all the fluids to synthetic...

Old 07-23-2009, 11:59 AM
RoyC
Senior User
Originally Posted by soutthpaw
in a word, YES. best value for money investment you can make in your vehicle is switching over all the fluids to synthetic...
Other than the engine oil, isn't everything else already synthetic? On my 2005 the tranny and rear end came synthetic and I believe the brakes/power steering is as well.

Roy

Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, that's pretty much correct...on your 6.0L. The V10's transmission don't have full synthetic in it from the factory.

The engine oil is semi-synthetic and axles are a full synthetic.

I've used Mobil 1 & Royal Purple synthetic in both my V10s and did experience evaporative-loss that was greater than when I used Ford's Motorcraft semi-synthetic. Bear in mind that my story about that is not isolated. Many other modular engine owner experience the same thing. You may not experience the gain in performance with synthetic that you hope you will due to constant oil loss and the subsequent and regular topping off of your oil.

I happen to believe regular changes with a quality oil and filter are a better investment for your investment.

Changing the transmission fluid to synthetic, however, is a good idea but unless you get it tested it may extend not your 30K drain interval.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Monsta
Yes, that's pretty much correct...on your 6.0L. The V10's transmission don't have full synthetic in it from the factory.

The engine oil is semi-synthetic and axles are a full synthetic.

I've used Mobil 1 & Royal Purple synthetic in both my V10s and did experience evaporative-loss that was greater than when I used Ford's Motorcraft semi-synthetic. Bear in mind that my story about that is not isolated. Many other modular engine owner experience the same thing. You may not experience the gain in performance with synthetic that you hope you will due to constant oil loss and the subsequent and regular topping off of your oil.

I happen to believe regular changes with a quality oil and filter are a better investment for your investment.

Changing the transmission fluid to synthetic, however, is a good idea but unless you get it tested it may extend not your 30K drain interval.
I just got my Excursion about 8 months ago and switched to Mobile 1 synthetic. The consumption rate was way too high to be topping off with $6 per quart of oil so I, after only 1 5,000 mile oil change, just switched back to regular oil. It sucked down 5 or 6 quarts of Mobile 1 in that 5,000 miles.

With the regular oil it seems to be down to about 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles to keep it at the top.