1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 F350 Headstuds w/ problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Rich J
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 F350 Headstuds w/ problems

I took my '04 6.0L F350 to a certified repair shop to replace the head gaskets and install ARP headstuds. the truck ran fine around town without a load on it, but when you went to pull with the truck it would "whistle" and blow coolant out, this is the reason it went into the shop. when he got it back together it was blowing black smoke and running very rough. 3X the computer said said the #1 injector was bad, so he sent it out for testing and yes the #1 injector tested bad, so he replaced it with an OEM part... it still runs very rough, no power, black smoke...
Does anybody have any ideas?? or direction?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:30 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich J
I took my '04 6.0L F350 to a certified repair shop to replace the head gaskets and install ARP headstuds. the truck ran fine around town without a load on it, but when you went to pull with the truck it would "whistle" and blow coolant out, this is the reason it went into the shop.
I just want to be clear here, did it do this after you already had headstuds put on there or was that the reason that you took it into the shop in the first place? Or did it do it after you got the headstuds on there?

Originally Posted by Rich J
when he got it back together it was blowing black smoke and running very rough. 3X the computer said said the #1 injector was bad, so he sent it out for testing and yes the #1 injector tested bad, so he replaced it with an OEM part... it still runs very rough, no power, black smoke...
Does anybody have any ideas?? or direction?
EGR and/or EGR Cooler might be the culprit here. Do you have an EGT gauge? If those are spiking more then they should given how you're driving and where you are driving, then I would be more sure that it's one or both of those going out on you.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Rich J
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck ran fine before the headstuds, it isn't out of the shop yet. it is running so rough that it basicly won't move. No EGT gauge. EGR cooler was blocked also during repair.