6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

f450 hard to insure

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 PM
rckrwlr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f450 hard to insure

I'm looking at buying a 08 f450 to replace my excurtision. I tow a realy realy realy heavy toy box trailer.

i called my insurance company and they told me the 450 is a comertial vehicle. So to insure it i have to get $750k in insurance, ( ca min)

does anyone know to get around this. I'm not a business and I only want to have a safe tow vehicle.

thanks
Its a diesel so i figures this is the best place to ask.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 PM
sbaset
Junior User
Every state is different, but you might want to just get the f350. The F450 has a 14500 GVW and it tends to bump it into the commerical vehicle class. This happened to me in Georgia. Required a special commercial tag, vs. the light truck tag I would have needed if I had the F350.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:24 AM
waterfalljoe
New User
It can also vary by insurance company. My 2002 7.3 F250 got totaled by a drunk driver head on. Since I walked away without a scratch I picked up the closest truck--a new 2008 superduty. It just happened that the truck on the lot with the features/options that I wanted was a F350. My existing insurance company dropped me outright because of the F350 being commercial in their eyes. So, I moved my over to my wife's company and no problem. It is not exactly the same situation, but ask around and go with the insurance company that responds best.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:24 PM
NORTHLAND06
Senior User
My old insurance co would do without any problem. I had State Farm before. Now I went with another company called Farm Bureau Insurance I also wrote as pleasure truck where I don't drive it much, but to pull my camper.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:15 PM
whporwil
Senior User
You just need to find an agent that's interested and let them look. It would also help to insure your trailer at the same time. I did this a month ago. The interesting thing is you will see rates all over the place. One guy on another post claims his insurance is under $500.00 a year for a new 450. Most of us that made the jump pay very little over what we paid for our other trucks. I went from a 350 to a 450 and the difference is less than a 100 bucks a year. I did have to change insurance agents to get the coverage.

Last edited by whporwil; 07-18-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-18-2009, 10:17 PM
F450OldGuy
New User
Originally Posted by rckrwlr
I'm looking at buying a 08 f450 to replace my excurtision. I tow a realy realy realy heavy toy box trailer.

i called my insurance company and they told me the 450 is a comertial vehicle. So to insure it i have to get $750k in insurance, ( ca min)

does anyone know to get around this. I'm not a business and I only want to have a safe tow vehicle.

thanks
Its a diesel so i figures this is the best place to ask.

We are with AAA and they found us someone. They would not insure it. Also wait until you see how much it cost to register a F450 in CA. I almost **** myself when the bill came. $731.00 for registration on my F450 in CA.

It will tow your toy hauler real nice.

Also heads up on a real heavy TH. I have seem a number of them pulled into the scales. They are starting to crack down on the larger units.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Candrew
Junior User
I use Progressive who also insure my fiver for full-timing. No problem at all. they understand the difference.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Also heads up on a real heavy TH. I have seem a number of them pulled into the scales. They are starting to crack down on the larger units.[/QUOTE]

Hi old guy. Question. Are you telling us that someone is pulling "non-commerical" RVs into scales? If that's what you are saying, what jurisdiction (where?) and who exactly is doing it and what scales are they using (ICC/DOT)? Not to put you on the spot but there is a lot of inaccurate information on the internet on this subject and it serves to scare the heck out of prospective RV buyers. Also, there are a lot of us on FTE who tow heavy trailers and if this weight thing is happening we would like to know where. So, please share, thanks.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 AM
rckrwlr
Senior User
thanks everyone,

I think im going to pass on the 450. I realy do love the ride It was as smooth as my EX. and can turn sharper.

I have heard rumers that out in glamis the cops are checking weights, licences and making sure everyone is legal. thats why I got my class A non com. now I just have to get my weight under control. Ha

Old 07-19-2009, 10:52 AM
F450OldGuy
New User
Yes the scales are set-up for people with CDL's, but they can pull anyone into them at any time. I think it was the scale right as you come into UT that had up on the sign all commerical trucks must stop and also all triple axle trailers.

In CA they are starting to get down on people a lot. Like rckrwlr said, the cops are checking weights, licences and making sure everyone is legal around glamis area. They are doing it in other areas also. I think it was about 3 months ago they were pulling over trilpe axle trailers on the I-15.

I think it's a real good thing. Not to pick on rckrwlr, but guys like him with F250's are pulling trailer that are way over weight. Most think I have a diesel truck so I can pull anything. As we all know trucks are rated for a reason. I have to say rckrwlr, I was one of those guys for a year that pulled a real heavy trailer with a Nissan Titan. It was crazy at times. Two times I almost went into the ditch because of it.

rckrwlr what are you calling real heavy? 10,000 to 15,000 lbs? Also what is the tongue weight rating on your truck?

I suggest to everyone to take the time and the $10 or so to pull into a CAT scale and see what your true weight is. I did it a few months back and my truck and trailer. I have a 38ft 5th wheel toy hauler trailer with 3 slide outs on it. Loaded with three bike, water tanks full, and gas tanks on the trailer and truck full, and everything we take out for a weekend trip we topped the scale at 27,320 lbs.

5,480 lbs. on the steer axle.
7,540 lbs on the drive axle.
14,300 lbs on the trailer axles.
Total 27,320

The GCWR on the truck is 33,000 lbs. With the F450 it rides down the rode great and pulls real nice.

I do have a question for those that have a non-commerical class A. Does that work the same as a CDL if you get a ticket? With a CDL you can NOT go to traffic school if you get a ticket. I think that's crazy because most that have a CDL put on 10X the miles of those that have a claas C. I put on over 100,000 miles a year.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 PM
whporwil
Senior User
In Minnesota I had my choice on what weight to register my truck at. I choose 15,000 lbs because a 450 has a GVWR of 14,500 lbs. It cost me $120.00 dollars for my plates. I traded my F350 for the 450 because I was border line at being maxed on pin weight. A 250 will pull just as well with the same gearing but would exceed it's limit on weight. If you get into an accident the first thing I would look at is weather your legal to carry the weight. If not it's your fault regardless of what happen.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:52 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by F450OldGuy
Yes the scales are set-up for people with CDL's, but they can pull anyone into them at any time. I think it was the scale right as you come into UT that had up on the sign all commerical trucks must stop and also all triple axle trailers.

In CA they are starting to get down on people a lot. Like rckrwlr said, the cops are checking weights, licences and making sure everyone is legal around glamis area. They are doing it in other areas also. I think it was about 3 months ago they were pulling over trilpe axle trailers on the I-15.

I think it's a real good thing. Not to pick on rckrwlr, but guys like him with F250's are pulling trailer that are way over weight. Most think I have a diesel truck so I can pull anything. As we all know trucks are rated for a reason. I have to say rckrwlr, I was one of those guys for a year that pulled a real heavy trailer with a Nissan Titan. It was crazy at times. Two times I almost went into the ditch because of it.

rckrwlr what are you calling real heavy? 10,000 to 15,000 lbs? Also what is the tongue weight rating on your truck?

I suggest to everyone to take the time and the $10 or so to pull into a CAT scale and see what your true weight is. I did it a few months back and my truck and trailer. I have a 38ft 5th wheel toy hauler trailer with 3 slide outs on it. Loaded with three bike, water tanks full, and gas tanks on the trailer and truck full, and everything we take out for a weekend trip we topped the scale at 27,320 lbs.

5,480 lbs. on the steer axle.
7,540 lbs on the drive axle.
14,300 lbs on the trailer axles.
Total 27,320

The GCWR on the truck is 33,000 lbs. With the F450 it rides down the rode great and pulls real nice.

I do have a question for those that have a non-commerical class A. Does that work the same as a CDL if you get a ticket? With a CDL you can NOT go to traffic school if you get a ticket. I think that's crazy because most that have a CDL put on 10X the miles of those that have a claas C. I put on over 100,000 miles a year.
Not to be pushy, but it's like I said, you saw a sign and rckrwlr heard a rumor. I have a standing offer on another forum and I'll make it here also. A case of beer to anyone who was weighed in a non-commerical RV for the purpose of enforcing weight laws other than tire capacity. I just don't believe it happens.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Not to be pushy, but it's like I said, you saw a sign and rckrwlr heard a rumor. I have a standing offer on another forum and I'll make it here also. A case of beer to anyone who was weighed in a non-commerical RV for the purpose of enforcing weight laws other than tire capacity. I just don't believe it happens.
Well said.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 684 Likes on 446 Posts
The People's Republick of Kalifornia is pretty nasty on registering and insuring these trucks...and yes, a -450 is a commerical vehicle...see below:

Originally Posted by http://www.dmv.ca.gov
Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA)

The Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA) changed the way the Department of Motor Vehicles registers commercial motor vehicles and some trailers.

Which vehicles are affected?

This law affects:

Commercial motor vehicles with a declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) or combined gross vehicle weight (CGW) of 10,001 lbs. or more.
Most trailers (for example, semi-trailers, boat trailers, utility trailers, or horse trailers.)
Which vehicles are NOT affected?

The following commercial motor vehicles are not affected:

Pickups, even though a pickup can operate over 10,000 GVW.
Light-weight trucks and vans if the declared GVW or CGW is 10,000 lbs. or less.
Taxis and rental limousines (which include charter-party carriers operating limousines that pick up and deliver airport passengers) if the declared GVW is 10,000 or less.
So here it says that pickups are not considered commercial vehicles...but check their definition of pickup:

Originally Posted by http://www.dot.ca.gov
471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."
And, if I remember right, the F450 has a 33,000 lb max gross combined vehicle weight, which according to their WEBSITE is $801.00 each year...

Sometimes it's good to live in Ohio!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM
whporwil
Senior User
I'm going to go out and get the F250 XL tags and put them on my 450 Lariet.

Quick Reply: f450 hard to insure