General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Conan O'Brien - just can't warm up to him

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Conan O'Brien - just can't warm up to him

I've been a fan of the Tonite show for about 35 years. I loved Johnny Carson and all his standard bits, and sorta drifted away for awhile once Jay Leno took over. It took a few months for me to warm up to Jay, but I think he did great too. I loved Monday nights with stupid headlines. Now I'm faced with trying to like Conan, and it just ain't happening. It's been a month, and I just think either he or his writers are too mean-spirited. The running gag about Twitter is just plain stupid, and while the monologues have had some gems, they are not plentiful. Can't wait for Jay to resurface this fall with his prime time show.

Maybe in a few years I can re-evaluate Conan, but I'm even switching to Letterman occasionally now. Yikes!

Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Conan and Letterman. Can't stand Jay Leno.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I dont care for any of the late shows since jay left. They all are just stupid mostly. Since Jay went off the air though I been going to his website watching videos bout his cars and his projects.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I've never cared for Conan. I used to watch Letterman, instead of the Tonight Show. Then Leno took over I started watching it. But now that Conan took over, I'm back to watching Letterman. I would much rather watch Craig Fergison, which I always have instead of watching Conan when he was on after Leno.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Lanny Sutton
Mountain Pass
Conan's a moron, I can't take 5 minutes of him. Bedtime is now 11:35. Loved Jay!!!!!

Last edited by Lanny Sutton; 07-16-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked Jay Leno and do occasionally watch Craig Ferguson.

But nobody could even come close to Johnny Carson.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Conan has had his moments I guess. I like the dog that insults people for some reason.
But I would rather watch him than watch Letterman....no if's and or buts about it!
But it's very seldom I stay up much past 10pm so I miss the late shows anyway.

Leno was good and I loved "Jaywalking".

Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
I've been trying to put my finger on what annoys me about Conan. Maybe it's that slightly smarmy attitude, like the IT department geek that sneers at you because you can't get your computer to work right ("just reboot it, duh!"). Maybe a more refined version of Howie Mandel, who bases his humor on making fun of people. Perhaps this is the new standard for comedy, ala Borat or Bruno. Jay Leno touched on this with his Jaywalking skits, but much more gently. I think the Jaywalking was the gag I liked the least of Leno's stuff, because it made people willing to play the dumb@ss.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
"Jaywalking" was "scary"! To see that some of the younger generation had no idea about some things that happened in the history of this country or current politics was just plain frightning!
These were folks that were/are going to run this country some day!

But I agree about Conan....he just don't look the part of a standup comic. But like I said, I will pick him over Letterman any day!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 AM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conans personality is "forced" his appearance is odd as his hair, eyes, face and usually suits are all the same color.
His humor is not "natural" Its like he really has to struggle to be funny. I did like his skit where he went to the "bling" store and got the "bitch" belt buckle and horny manatee..great. Liek my daughter said Conan isn't jay leno replacement. He is creepy in his own way.

Jay is funny in his own way. It is a more non in your face. His jaywalking was good. Just to see how dumb people can really be. I think if I were asked a question and answered it
the way these girls do I would be ashamed as hell to know it was on tv. But everyone wants to be a star.

Craig ferguson is total british humor. I loved him on the drew carey show. Some times he causes bad humor overload.

David letterman..i like how he bites the guests and they do not realize it. he gets good digs in. It always looks like he has dandruff in his eye brows. Odd to watch. I think of all of them he is least forced and he is most natural.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
"The Tonight Show" went from GREAT with Johnny Carson (may he Rest In Peace) to GOOD with Jay Leno. (Always liked Jay! He's a CAR guy!!!)

I don't know if anyone remembers the 'original' "Tonight Show" with Jack Parr or when Steve Allen was on.
Good old times, there!

Conan O'Brien. . . .
Don't like. Never have. Never will.

David Letterman. . .
Don't like. Never have. Absolutely never will. That man 'thinks/knows' that he's better than everyone else. (Yeah, right!)
One example. . . the things he said about Sarah Palin and her family. . . may he ROT in the devil's house.
(How would he like it, IF someone talked that way about HIS family? He wouldn't!!!!!)
Besides. . . he looks like some strange jack-o-lantern experiment gone awry!!!

Bedtime for me is before the 11:00 News ends, anyway!!!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
"The Tonight Show" went from GREAT with Johnny Carson (may he Rest In Peace) to GOOD with Jay Leno. (Always liked Jay! He's a CAR guy!!!)

I don't know if anyone remembers the 'original' "Tonight Show" with Jack Parr or when Steve Allen was on.
I remember seeing Jack Parr on TV when he hosted the Tonight Show back when I was around 7 or eight; back in the early sixties.
]

Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Johnny Carson had an uncanny ability to make funny stuff happen in a way that was usually in part at his own expense - which was a big part of his charm! You can't help laughing with a man who finds his own situation funny, and is not afraid to lampoon himself.

LETTERMAN? JERK. Four letters that define a man that is dedicated to cutting "Let's make people look STUPID" humour, humour that is also lowbrow and tends to play to those who tear down others around them without any indepth understanding or caring.

Johnny Carson cared - and you could tell. He was a far better intellectual humorist than Letterman ever will be. Letterman could give a rats behind who he insults, so long as his joke writers let him cut SOMEONE down.

Jay Leno had something of Johnny Carsons personal feeling. You knew Jay was his own guy, and it's a special quality about him.

CONAN is nothing but a David Letterman WANNA-BE, and they both can go flush themselves for all I care. I bet his real name is MAYNERD or something like that...

Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I guess the bottom line is that I don't appreciate "COLD HUMOR"

Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hoosierbaby64
Conans personality is "forced" his appearance is odd as his hair, eyes, face and usually suits are all the same color.
His humor is not "natural" Its like he really has to struggle to be funny. I did like his skit where he went to the "bling" store and got the "bitch" belt buckle and horny manatee..great. Liek my daughter said Conan isn't jay leno replacement. He is creepy in his own way.

Jay is funny in his own way. It is a more non in your face. His jaywalking was good. Just to see how dumb people can really be. I think if I were asked a question and answered it
the way these girls do I would be ashamed as hell to know it was on tv. But everyone wants to be a star.

Craig ferguson is total british humor. I loved him on the drew carey show. Some times he causes bad humor overload.

David letterman..i like how he bites the guests and they do not realize it. he gets good digs in. It always looks like he has dandruff in his eye brows. Odd to watch. I think of all of them he is least forced and he is most natural.
You hit that on the money. Conan is just one of those types that would make you lose sleep, say, if he came home with your daughter for example. Just creepy. DWEEB ETC.

Quick Reply: Conan O'Brien - just can't warm up to him