Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 AM
twillfish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ignition Problem

I believe I have an ignition switch related problem on an 2001, automatic, with 114,000 miles. Turn the key to charge glow plugs, idiot light goes out, turn key to crank engine, and nothing happens. No click,etc....

Then move shifting lever from park, to neutral, etc.... and turn key to start. Ignition engages. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts of moving the shifting lever through the gears and back to either park, or neutral before the truck will turnover. It's getting worse, and seems to be happening more now that the weather is hot. That might be just timing though.

Thanks for any input someone might be able to provide. It should not related to the batteries, or cable contections as those are all new/clean, and the starter and selonoid are also fine.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I tend to think it has more to do with the gear shift lever. If the truck isn't in P or N it won't start. Pull the access cover off from under the dash, and look to the left of the lower part of the steering column. You'll see a tiny little black plastic wheel that looks like a small gear. With the truck in P and your hand off the gear shift, crank that little wheel until the indicator is dead center in the P. Or, if there is a lot of slop in the gear shift, there are a couple of screws on the bottom of the column that tend to come loose that you might need to tighten up.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:14 AM
twillfish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I'll give that a try when I get home from work.