Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
A house!

Hello all,

<><><> Warning non Ford related topic<><><>

Just put a deposit down on a 2 bedroom house! We will still be renting, and not buying, but we will no longer be living in the armpit of Fresno (Stonepine Apartments) and we will have our own house, with no neighbors on the other side of the wall to bang on when we watch a movie in surround sound. The person we are renting from is a older Christian woman, and she said it had only been up for rent for 2 days. It is a mile closer to my job, and only a mile west of our current residence. We had originally looked at a house across the street from this one managed by a real estate company but the bedrooms in that one were only 8 ft by 8 ft, and the living room was very small too. We just happened to see the for rent sign of this house while we were there, and checked it out.

Our lease is up here at the end of July, so we told her we would be moving in on the 30th, 31st of this month, and be fully moved by the 1st of August. We are both so happy to get out of apartment living we can hardly wait for the end of the month to get here. We gave her the deposit today so she would not rent it out to anyone else. She still has some work to do fixing minor things, etc, she said it would be done in two days, but we are in no hurry since we are paid up here at the apt until the end of the month.

Oh, I'll be towing/pushing the Ranger over there, so I guess there is a Ford in the topic

Old 07-08-2009, 01:14 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck on the move! Sounds like a great home.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Yes indeed, maybe slightly smaller than the total space of the apartment, but in a better location, and we will feel much more secure there, than here. The AC seems to be more efficient also, so that should save us some $$$ If the PG&E bill stays the same, then the total monthly bill will only be $33 more than what we are paying here. $16.50 a piece. I can live with that.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Good deal Jim, just dn't start filling up the backyard with "treasures"

Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I don't think that will happen, the house only has a 3 foot high chain link fence around it, so no privacy. Wouldn't want anyone stealing my treasures.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Homemade
Senior User
I know when I got out of apts. and into a house its a great feeling.
Then I moved to a bigger house with a bigger yard that will hold a lot more treasures.
Have a half acre now to hold mine.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Nice, I am sure I will acquire some treasures eventually, but for the moment, I will just be happy to be out of the apts, and in a house with a yard, and a FENCE!

Old 07-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Less than a week to go before we move into our new house. Found out it does not have an AC unit, but does have a swamp cooler. so that should keep the electric bill even lower. Also, Comcast is giving us a special for the 1st 12 months, so it will make it $24 a month cheaper to live in the house, than the apartment. Half our stuff is already over there, we still have some things here that we will need for the next week, and all the furniture we are taking is still here. That will go on moving day when we have the U-Haul truck. We have picked up a washer, dryer, and electric stove from CL, and a person 2-3 houses down was selling a fridge, so we have all the appliances we need. The stove doesn't seem to work, but Aspen's boyfriend is an Electrical Engineer, so I am sure he can fix it. Question is, will it cost more to fix than it is worth? If so, we will just look for another one on CL.

Last edited by Nighteyez; 07-24-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like the landlord has not been keeping up the maintenance and repairs. The cooler will work alot better with new pads. You can buy these for about $14 at home depot depending on what size you need. Good luck on the new digs. Jag

Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
swamp coolers will rust anything metal in the house, i used to have one when i was in az, and all my tool rusted! so be careful, infact my computer tower inside rusted also. swamp coolers also only work when its DRY OUT, if theres humidity then there is no cooling to be had.

Ray

Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Yeah, I was afraid of that. It gets very humid in here when that swamp cooler is on. And I was wondering how the electronics would handle it. The stove we bought was taken apart by my roommate' boyfriend, and all the connections, and even the circuit board had rust on it. Probably from a house with a swamp cooler on it. I don't know what to do at this point. It is not like we can just rush right out and buy an AC unit. But I don't want to use the swamp cooler too much and ruin our electronic gear.

Slightly different topic, we were allowed to move in on Monday instead of Thursday. The landlord told Aspen on Saturday we could move in any time. So I changed the U-Haul reservation from Thursday to Monday, and we moved in then. She did not even want any extra money for the early move in. We only had one person helping us though, and the truck had to be back by 5pm, so it made it quite hectic. especially with the 100 degree weather.

Also, the internet company was still scheduled for today, so we were without internet and TV until this morning. After four days without the internet I am ready for the loony bin. We are still not totally moved in yet. But all the big stuff is here. Only small stuff left at the apartment.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Yeah, I was afraid of that. It gets very humid in here when that swamp cooler is on. And I was wondering how the electronics would handle it. The stove we bought was taken apart by my roommate' boyfriend, and all the connections, and even the circuit board had rust on it. Probably from a house with a swamp cooler on it. I don't know what to do at this point. It is not like we can just rush right out and buy an AC unit. But I don't want to use the swamp cooler too much and ruin our electronic gear.

Slightly different topic, we were allowed to move in on Monday instead of Thursday. The landlord told Aspen on Saturday we could move in any time. So I changed the U-Haul reservation from Thursday to Monday, and we moved in then. She did not even want any extra money for the early move in. We only had one person helping us though, and the truck had to be back by 5pm, so it made it quite hectic. especially with the 100 degree weather.

Also, the internet company was still scheduled for today, so we were without internet and TV until this morning. After four days without the internet I am ready for the loony bin. We are still not totally moved in yet. But all the big stuff is here. Only small stuff left at the apartment.

make sure you keep as much airflow as you can and as many windows / doors open as you can when you run that cooler.. also after you shut it off leave them open a while so it has a chance to dehumidify inside.. you can get a cheap walmart temp guage with a humidity % thing on it to keep and eye. other then that put oily rags on your tools. tv's and otehr electonics.. i dont think you can do anything for them

Ray

Old 08-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks for the advice, we have been leaving the windows open as much as possible, before, during and after running the cooler. I am thinking that is about all we can do. and of course, keep the cooler usage to a minimum.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim, I have had a cooler for the last 4 years. We also had one from 1989 thru 1993. We have never had rust issues. We have also had no problems with electronics. We run the cooler on days when the weather is <100*. On hotter days we run the AC. I don't think you'll have a problem with the cooler except that you need to maintain the pads to keep them cooling. Good luck, Jag

Old 08-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
im sure you wont just use a cooler forever.. ona positive note its a + for houseplants!

Quick Reply: A house!