2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any "Pre-Owned" Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 AM
happylogan1
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Any "Pre-Owned" Buying Advice

Thinking about buying used.. '08 or '07 S-crew Lariat; XLT...
Any pitfalls that come to mind?

BTW: Mileage concerns: should say an 08 with 32,500mi - is that a lot? How do I balance say higher mileage and price with what seems to be normally yearly driving mileage with lower price?

thanks

Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an OASIS report from a Ford dealership. This will show all dealership repairs/services that have been performed on the vehicle.

Get a CARFAX report to check for any other potential problems.

Going off of the normal production cycles for a model year, the model year is usually introduced around June or July of the preceding year. Using the 2010 models as the example, many of them are already, or are very close to being, introduced.

Hence, the 2008 that you are looking can be upwards of two years old. That places their annual mileage around 16,000. Insurance companies like to claim 1,000 miles per month, or 10,000 - 12,000 annually for the average driving. This places the 2008 a bit above the national average, but it is not really in the high mileage category.

Most of the vehicle valuation sites will compensate for mileage. I would suggest getting some price figures from several sources like Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, and NADA. Some people/dealerships may very well favor one source over the other, but that will give you a good average price to start working from, if you decide to head to the bargaining table.

Good luck!!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
AlbusPlaustrum06
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check for collision damage repair. Hood gaps are not even...door gaps are not even...bumper gaps are uneven. I saw LOTS of these in the 06-07 I was looking at.

See if you can find out what the previous owner went to after selling/trading in the truck. Can give you some insight to how the truck might have been driven.

Compare the truck on autotrader.com as well. Prices can be subjective of the area you are in.

Never be afraid to walk away if the truck is not a steal. I walked away from some nice looking trucks because their mileage was outside my comfort zone. Broke done clean truck is still broke down.

If your area floods obviously check for rust and mold.

Good Luck and pics of course will be requested.