1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

hard starting/clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:02 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hard starting/clicking sound

91 3.0, 2WD, Mazda 5 speed...Im having a heckuva hard time...to put it very mildly to get my truck started...99 out of 100 times when i try to start it, all I get is the single clicking sound which I believe to be from the starter relay. Everything is original except the starter which is a wrecking yard replacement..a couple of years ago...but a clean one that had previously been rebuilt...
Ive always thought it to be the 3 position switch at the clutch master shaft at the pedal...I swapped it out with another and no difference..
Once the starter does get juice to it and engages it fires no problem ...same as always...its just a matter of no starter action...just the clicking at the relay...battery is new btw...definately not an issue.
Im at the point now that Im thinking the starter itself is toast(brushes?) or the starter relay...suggestions ???

BTW..all connections are good and clean, zero corrosion and so on...just needing the starter to kick in and crank..

- cs65

Old 07-04-2009, 04:32 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this simple litle test. Remove the connector with the rubber boot from the starter relay. Jump 12 volts to that terminal.

If it cranks, the problem is between the ignition switch & the starter relay.

In my case with my 87 Ranger it did NOT crank.

So I jumped from the negative post on the battery to the engine block. BINGO, it fired right up & I swapped the negative battery cable. Problem solved.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:10 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The brushes in the starter are worn down to the point where they usually don't conduct electricity correctly except for that one time out of 100 when the brushes are aligned with the correct spot on the shaft.

Replace brushes in starter is the cheap solution.

New starter is the old expensive method.