Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

The PA Chapter's July B/S Thread -any and all conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
If the doglegs were fixed on this and a couple spots touched up, this Explorer would be close to "new" condition other than the miles on it. It's really not in bad shape at all, and with it being paid for - putting a little into it sure beats a truck payment.

Painting I have no problem with whatsoever. The last time I tried my hand at it I was actually pretty decent for someone who doesn't do it all the time (it's been probably 10 years now since I've mixed paint for cars even). It's the work leading up to it...all the metalwork, etc., that has to be on for the paint to look its best...that I struggle with. If someone handed me all the metal work finished and ready for prime/paint, I could just go to town. But it's never that easy.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always had issues getting things like the wheel arches right, on the outer contours, or even the outer corners if they're rounded on anything. I end up having to fill them again because I always ALWAYS cut too much out. I do have a friend that's pretty handy with bodywork, and I might ask for his help with the finishing touches when I do it. My truck, well, aside from the miles as well, since they're really unknown and I'm sure well over 200k, is mechanically sound, has a new clutch, a freshly rebuilt turbo, and I'm sure I could sink more money than I have into other stuff like a new injector pump, injectors, etc., but I'm fairly happy with it how it is. And, I absolutely agree that it beats a new vehicle payment.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

I hear ya. Speaking of another vehicle payment...there's a 1994 F-150 4x4 for sale near me at one of the local stealerships for about $1500 and I gave serious pause yesterday to stopping in and looking at it more closely to see what it has and all that. I get more out of a pickup than I do an SUV anyhow with the stuff I get into, so that's what gave me reason to look. Looks like XL trim package because it is fairly plain, which doesn't matter much really...but I noticed one big obvious thing that screams out at me and kind of keeps me away. There's only fender flares on the bed, and no evidence of them being anywhere else. I bet the flares are hiding some pretty rotted out bedsides around the rear wheels. So I'd be into just as much bodywork or more on it than I have on the Explorer. Otherwise, it looks great.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
I'd probably react the same way, but then again, $1500 asking, depending on the place could mean $1000 cash; may be worth it. I know a grand isn't chump change, I'm broke all the time, but for a 94, it might be worth it.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

I might go back and look in more detail - I pass the place a lot heading in and out of town - just to satisfy my curiosity and see for sure what's up. If the mechanicals are pretty decent on it, might be worth the $1500 or whatever we'd end up settling on to have a truck in the fleet.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good evening PA and how are you all doing

Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Evenin folks. Thought I'd pop in to say hi. $1500 for a 94 doesn't sound bad for a 94 as long as it's in fair shape. You might want to have a good look see at the rear section of the frame before you plunk down any coins. I've seen a few rotted out frames on the late 80's thru mid 90's trucks.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Hey sglaine - not much going on here tonight...you?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:16 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Originally Posted by Redcat Diesel
Evenin folks. Thought I'd pop in to say hi. $1500 for a 94 doesn't sound bad for a 94 as long as it's in fair shape. You might want to have a good look see at the rear section of the frame before you plunk down any coins. I've seen a few rotted out frames on the late 80's thru mid 90's trucks.
Hey Clay - good to see you. Thanks for the tip...especially seeing how there may already be sheetmetal rusting issues on the back end.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Don't forget to get a good look at the rear spring hangars. That was one of my price-dropping pieces of ammo I had when I bought my current truck; the pass. rear hangar was bad.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by liftnw8z
Hey sglaine - not much going on here tonight...you?

Not much getting ready for the hay...I have to get up early and get twisted into a pretzel by my Dr.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Originally Posted by JesterPgh
Don't forget to get a good look at the rear spring hangars. That was one of my price-dropping pieces of ammo I had when I bought my current truck; the pass. rear hangar was bad.
Good point. I had issues with spring hangers on a 91 Ranger that I owned, in part due to an accident that the PO had with it, but rust as well.

Originally Posted by sglaine
Not much getting ready for the hay...I have to get up early and get twisted into a pretzel by my Dr.
Getting twisted around into a pretzel always sounds like fun...maybe. I haven't seen my chiro in a long time and he usually always did that to me.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:28 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by liftnw8z
Good point.

Getting twisted around into a pretzel always sounds like fun...maybe. I haven't seen my chiro in a long time and he usually always did that to me.

Trust me this is no fun at all

I am more pain when I leave before I go there...5am wake up is not good ether

Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

I can believe that though - my chiro generally put me in more pain than if I'd have stayed home too...so "fun" is always kinda sarcastic in that sense.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Worth it in the end though. I wouldn't be walking today had it not been for my chiro (Bad car accident about 5 years ago). On a lighter note, I thought this was kind of funny; read line 2, under the right side.

Quick Reply: The PA Chapter's July B/S Thread -any and all conversation