Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

F250 Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
F250 Update

This truck was running very poorly and I couldn't get it to idle consistantly. I thought I'd get a carb rebuild kit and give the carb a going over. Unfortunately there's no tag on the carb so I couldn't source a kit with out the number.
I was trying to set the idle again when I noticed that the secondarys wouldn't open. There was no movement at all in the mechanism.
So I said to myself, don't open up this carb without a rebuild kit on hand it will only give you grief. Well, I don't take direction well especially from myself, so I tore into the carb..
What a mess, this baby had been sitting a long long time. Cleaned it up as best I could but it looked hopeless. After carefull reassembly, I reinstalled and turned the key, after a few revolutions it started right up. My enthusiam was short lived as it stall out in seconds. I poke my head under the hood to see about a litre of fuel spilling out of the carb. Why did I take it apart!!
Now what, I can't leave the truck where it is so I gues I can push it out of my way but I need the truck running by Tuesday morning. Nothing takes longer than rushing into a job unprepared, my own fault.
Then I remember I may have another 4barrel in the shed. I found the old carb I had on my '70 mustang 351W. Actually the intake and carb where from a '69 Mach 1 but thats another story. This being a small block carb it is not a spread bore like the big 460's carb but the primarys look like they line up fine? So I blow the dust out of the carb and bolt it down. The secondarys won't work because they simply don't line up and won't open but if the truck runs , I'll be happy. Turn the key and again she fires up but this time she stays running. And running real well I didn't even touch the idle mixture.
I took it out for a test drive and it's a whole new truck, plenty of power and some get up and go ,on just two small barrels. Can't wait to get the original carb going again.
I'm bringing it in for a safety inspection/cert. tomorrow. Hopefully no issues, all seems fine from what I can see. I couldn't get the axles out to check the rear brakes on the Dana 60 but judging by the front and the way it stops I think I'm ok. Front end seemed tight too so hopefully no surprises.

Off to another forum to try and figure out which carbn I have......

Frank

Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it an old Autolite carb?

Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
I think the old square bore was an Autolite, .....the spread bore is Motorcraft.(4300 or 4350)

Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Did Motorcraft make their own 4 barrels or did they outsource?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
I think they made their own and outsourced others to Holley. Holleys you can cross reference from Ford part numbers. The one I have is definitely Ford Motorcraft.
Maybe my Pal Rick has one lying around the Courtice Estate?

The truck passed cert this morning with the exceptioon of wiper blades which i will have when I pickup the truck.
It wouldn't start this morning off the main tank, I had to switch to Aux. The guage doesn't work on the main but the tank is full. Judging by the condition the carb was in the tank is probably full of crud too. Another weekend project, got a sinking feeling that with this truck two tanks are a must.

Frank

Old 07-12-2009, 07:52 AM
truckfarmingcanuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from holidays Frank. If you want I can see what tag if any is on my 76 460. BTW you need both thanks trust me I know.

later
TFC

Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Hey no whining about gas consumption..............

Originally Posted by truckfarmingcanuck
Just back from holidays Frank. If you want I can see what tag if any is on my 76 460. BTW you need both thanks trust me I know.

later
TFC
Unless you own a Bronco of course.

Matt had a Baby Boy, well his wife did but I think Matt helped somewhere in the process LOL.

Rick.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
I believe I do have one.

Originally Posted by fp_5
I think they made their own and outsourced others to Holley. Holleys you can cross reference from Ford part numbers. The one I have is definitely Ford Motorcraft.

The truck passed cert this morning with the exceptioon of wiper blades which i will have when I pickup the truck.
It wouldn't start this morning off the main tank, I had to switch to Aux. The guage doesn't work on the main but the tank is full. Judging by the condition the carb was in the tank is probably full of crud too. Another weekend project, got a sinking feeling that with this truck two tanks are a must.

Frank
It works too, I can't remember if there's a tag or not though, I'll check.

Rick.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
You need to do the ignition upgrade, it helps big time.

Originally Posted by fp_5

Frank
The pay back for the Bronco was 8 tanks of fuel (at 125 litres a tank full pretty good I'd say).

The carb is still not perfect but that's a next year job when I hook up the wide band oxygen sensors and laptop for real time emissions set up(very cool system, can be used on multiple vehicles).

Once the paint and bodywork is complete maybe as we go into the fall I'm going to try and make a two piece custom plenum intake for colder better, more air intake, should add a little more fuel economy.

Rick.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Thanks

but , I figured out what I had, a Motorcraft 4350. I rebuilt it and it's running pretty good now. Plugs, cap, rotor next then we'll see how she runs. I haven't taken it on the hiway yet.
I went to transfer the ownership and was surprised that they wanted an appraisal and bill of sale so they could ding me PST. Why the ____ should I pay Ontario sales tax on something that I did not purchase in Ontario??! Thieves....

Frank

Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

And the appraisal is so you pay extra tax if you get a really good deal ie. you pay tax on the appraised value instead of the sale price. I guess it's really there to keep people from claiming $1000 sale prices on $20k vehicles. You're appraiser should be reasonable though.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
I can understand that, don't like it, but I understand it IF the vehicle was sold in the province. What if i had paid tax in Manitoba? How can they justify taxation on a transaction that occured outside their border. If I had known, I would have transfered ownership in Manitoba. It just pisses me off