1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

PATS key re-program for '98 Expy

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Volman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone through all the old threads but don't see a procedure anywhere for reprogramming the one and only key I've got that seems to have lost it's link to the truck. I see several for programming additional keys, but all require a working key. Anybody know how to reset an original key without a dealer? By the way, the symptom I'm having is the truck cranks but won't start and the "Theft" light is rapidly flashing, other lights normal. I wanted to rule out the PATS key before I drop the $$$ for a fuel pump, etc.

Thanks
David

Old 01-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately unless you have 2 working keys you're out of luck without taking it to a dealer or maybe a really well equipped locksmith.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:21 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even a locksmith can't help here. The rapidly-flashing anti-theft light is telling you the problem is in the key or the anti-theft system. A bad fuel pump wouldn't cause that light to flash. You have no choice: only the dealer has the equipment to re-program the key or diagnose the problem with the anti-theft.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:06 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard of locksmiths with the correct scanner (for lack of better words) to program keys. Have never seen it but i guess it could happen

Old 01-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Volman
Freshman User

Thanks Racer & '56. Just outta curiosity I'll call a couple locksmiths and see what they say and pass it back.

It'll probably be tomorrow before I can get it towed in and have my dealer story to add to the pile

Regards,
David

"Stick it to the Saudis, slow down 5MPH."

Old 01-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Volman
Freshman User

Now, for the rest of the story

No luck on locksmiths having the machine. The ones I talked to said it was about $2000 and would only get them the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles...

So, got it to the dealer and they found that the chip was gone. I hadn't noticed. Had to buy two keys and get them programmed, $128.72. Oddly enough, I think I found the chip. I found this small glass tube about an inch long inside a white plastic carrier somewhere in the house and set it on the dresser. At the time, I had not a clue what it was, I thought it was something out of a kid's game or a Christmas ornament. I haven't had an opportunity to see if it fits in the key, but I'll try it tonight. If it fits I'll try the program procedure in other threads and let you know...

David

Old 01-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Volman
Freshman User

I have great pictures of the PATS key chip if anyone's curious. That piece I thought was to one of the kid's toys turned out to be the chip...

I've asked the administrator to enable my image upload feature. If you can't wait til he gets it turned on email me and I'll send them. only about 80K a piece.

Old 01-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Volman
Freshman User

Here's a link to the pics.

[https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&albumid=2859]

Old 01-13-2003, 12:11 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Old 01-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Tom King
New User

Well on a 98 Expidition there is an on board prgramming procedure that involves leaving the correct cut key in the on position for 3 15 minute intervals.I am a locksmith and also own a 98 Ford Expidition XLT. This is a PATS1 system. The tube you found was the tranponder chip. By now most locksmiths should know the proceedure.Also if one has a NGS this will take about 8 minutes. MOst without the machine or the knowlege will try to buffulo you,don't believe them. You got off easy I've heard of people spending in excess of 500.00 because of lost keys.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Rtpjunior
Senior User

There IS a way to re-program the PATS system with only one key. It only works on 97-98 Expeditions/98 Navigators. Use the existing Pats key to turn the ignition to "ON", but don't start the truck. Wait for the "THEFT" light to go out. Within 10 seconds, insert the new key in the ignition, and turn the ignition to "ON", but don't start the truck. Waut for the "THEFT" light to go out, and Presto !, new key programmed !!! You can also make a new MASTER key without any keys present. Take an unprogrammed key, and turn the ignition to "ON", but don't start the vehicle. The "THEFT" light will come on, and stay on for approx 10-15 minutes. Once the light goes out, turn the ignition to "OFF". Repeat this procedure 2 more times, but you must each cycle must be done within 5 minutes of the light going off. Presto !! New master key, and all previous existing keys are inoperative................

Old 02-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Rtpjunior
Senior User

There IS a way to re-program the PATS system with only one key. It only works on 97-98 Expeditions/98 Navigators. Use the existing Pats key to turn the ignition to "ON", but don't start the truck. Wait for the "THEFT" light to go out. Within 10 seconds, insert the new key in the ignition, and turn the ignition to "ON", but don't start the truck. Wait for the "THEFT" light to go out, and Presto !, new key programmed !!! You can also make a new MASTER key without any keys present. Take an unprogrammed key, and turn the ignition to "ON", but don't start the vehicle. The "THEFT" light will come on, and stay on for approx 10-15 minutes. Once the light goes out, turn the ignition to "OFF". Repeat this procedure 2 more times, but each cycle must be done within 5 minutes of the light going off. Presto !! New master key, and all previous existing keys are inoperative................

Old 02-08-2003, 10:30 AM
lockshop
New User

I am a locksmith with the Ford Computer. It's called a NGS. I got this computer about 2 year ago. The PATS tubes are "falling out" more and more as the key get used. So put a little dab of super glue on the end of your key there the tube is. So you can save yourself some money. Or if you are in RI don't so I can make some.

Old 02-11-2003, 08:34 PM
larryforce
New User

I can't wait to go out and get a new Key and try this out.
Thanks