Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Crew Cab Raptor? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Raider50
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silver05fx4
well if i knew they where kicking around the idea of a for sure crew cab i would have waited
it just broke yesterday, but im sure you could trade your 09 in and they wouldnt mind

Old 06-25-2009, 07:09 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
I'm suprised that so many have said to keep it a SCab only. Anybody want to explain why?

If somebody would prefer a SCab, that's fine, but I can't see any reason not to offer it in a SCrew as well.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wes28376
I agree the screw would be a great truck but the most capable on the market I don't know. It depends on what type of offroading you do. For highspeed desert racing I would agree with you.

For slower rock crawling type of offroading the Dodge Power wagon is better. I had an 07 Power wagon before I got my 09 FX4. It was unstoppable off-road. It came standard with:

Hemi engine
Front and rear locking diffs
4:56 gears
Electronic disconnecting front sway bar
Warn winch
Solid front axle
Forged aluminum wheels
33" BFGs stock but I added 35" Toyo MTs without any added lift.

It was a great truck but only got 9 MPG so I had to get something a little more efficient.
I forgot about the Power Wagon. It's very capable as well, as you pointed out.

However, with the long travel suspension, rear locker, 6.2 engine, 4.10 gears (I think), and stock 35's on the Raptor, I doubt the Power Wagon has much on the Raptor as far as cabability is concerned. The Dodge might have slightly better front supsension travel, and it does have the front locker. However, that's about it. Any advantage 4.56 gears would give over 4.10's would be negated by the 6 speed Ford tranny. Even though it's set up for "dessert running", I have to think the Raptor would be one heck of a mudder too. I've never been much of a rock crawler.

Either way both trucks are beasts (as you know).

Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Wes28376
New User
Originally Posted by cpdorroh
I forgot about the Power Wagon. It's very capable as well, as you pointed out.

However, with the long travel suspension, rear locker, 6.2 engine, 4.10 gears (I think), and stock 35's on the Raptor, I doubt the Power Wagon has much on the Raptor as far as cabability is concerned. The Dodge might have slightly better front supsension travel, and it does have the front locker. However, that's about it. Any advantage 4.56 gears would give over 4.10's would be negated by the 6 speed Ford tranny. Even though it's set up for "dessert running", I have to think the Raptor would be one heck of a mudder too. I've never been much of a rock crawler.

Either way both trucks are beasts (as you know).
As Raider50 pointed out these two vehicles are completely different animals. Both are great rigs developed for different things. If I had to choose between the two I would take the Raptor simply because of Dodge's reliability issues. However; the Power wagon is more conducive to my off roading style. The 37.2:1 crawl ratio, 3/4 ton axles, f/r lockers and disconnecting front sway bar was an awesome combination. I miss the truck at times but then I think none of my Fords have ever made me walk.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Raider50
Elder User
I'm suprised that so many have said to keep it a SCab only. Anybody want to explain why?

yah, please. it has only been people preaching to the choir here. we need a different opinion or 2 lol

Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I think it is the secret haters. The people who bought a Scab, but realized a Screw is a better alternative.

But they don't want to admit it

I love my F-150's...but I'd own/drive a Powerwagon without any qualms. The combo of 4 doors & the offroad goodies beat out the current FX4 in my eyes. Dodge just quit making them before I was in a position to buy the Powerwagon.
Luckily the Blue Oval is rectifying the problem

Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Raider50
yah, please. it has only been people preaching to the choir here. we need a different opinion or 2 lol
I'm not voting but, as an old musclecar guy, if you make a performance vehicle, there is the purist view that you should NOT make it any bigger or fatter than you need to, to keep some of the performance.

How about a 9-passenger Mustang GT? How about a 6 passenger Corvette?

I dunno the wheelbase specs on the SCab vs the SCrew, but I think the idea is to make it more like a Baja truck and less like a city bus...

THIS is a Baja pickup--tough, light, simple:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~jray77/I...ppeTruck_B.jpg

George

Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Wes28376
New User
Originally Posted by tylus
I think it is the secret haters. The people who bought a Scab, but realized a Screw is a better alternative.

But they don't want to admit it

I love my F-150's...but I'd own/drive a Powerwagon without any qualms. The combo of 4 doors & the offroad goodies beat out the current FX4 in my eyes. Dodge just quit making them before I was in a position to buy the Powerwagon.
Luckily the Blue Oval is rectifying the problem

They are still making them.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:30 AM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well trading the truck isn't goin to happen any time soon

but how bout a crew cab with a 3.5 foot bed it would be the same size as the s-cab truck

Old 06-26-2009, 11:36 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bring the screw in and i would get rid of my 09 in a heartbeat

Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Raider50
Elder User
Originally Posted by silver05fx4
well trading the truck isn't goin to happen any time soon

but how bout a crew cab with a 3.5 foot bed it would be the same size as the s-cab truck

lol yah, im not sure it would look so great. But im just not seeing what would be wrong with adding the supercrew option. It would still be very cabible. All that will happen is it will weigh a few hundread pounds more and will have a little longer wheel base. It would be much more practical, that is only if you plan on carrying more than 2 adults.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 PM
mistrtoad
Junior User

If somebody would prefer a SCab, that's fine, but I can't see any reason not to offer it in a SCrew as well.
I'll be happy to. I've put a few thousand development miles on this truck, as well as a few tens of thousands on its DNA donor truck. Night and day difference, folks. This is a street-legal desert racer, the best ever. It is not a family commuter! If you are using this truck to its design spec, the rear seat passengers are going to wish they hadn't come along. Trust me. I think that enough compromises were made in its mission by making it a supercab rather than a regular cab. It's already lost a lot of body rigidity this way.

In case it's not clear, I do NOT support the pussification of this great truck by grafting on extra wheelbase, flex, and weight. If you really want this truck in four doors, you don't understand what it's about. If you want a capable offroad supercrew, get an FX4. You might as well be asking for a four-door Shelby.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:49 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by mistrtoad
I'll be happy to. I've put a few thousand development miles on this truck, as well as a few tens of thousands on its DNA donor truck. Night and day difference, folks. This is a street-legal desert racer, the best ever. It is not a family commuter! If you are using this truck to its design spec, the rear seat passengers are going to wish they hadn't come along. Trust me. I think that enough compromises were made in its mission by making it a supercab rather than a regular cab. It's already lost a lot of body rigidity this way.

In case it's not clear, I do NOT support the pussification of this great truck by grafting on extra wheelbase, flex, and weight. If you really want this truck in four doors, you don't understand what it's about. If you want a capable offroad supercrew, get an FX4. You might as well be asking for a four-door Shelby.
You said you got to put a lot of development miles on the truck (which sounds like a ton of fun to me), so I assume that you must work for Ford, and probably have a lot more insight into the design than I do. Judging from your post, it sounds like the Raptor must have a unique, stronger frame to improve rigidity. I had just assumed it used a standard frame with a different suspension setup.

I just think Ford could sell a lot more of these things if they offered it in a SCrew as well as a SCab. Just from this poll, you can see that the number of people that prefer a SCrew over a SCab is 2:1. I understand your point about diminishing capabilities, but like it or not I doubt that less than 1% of the ones sold will actually see "Baja" type conditions. I just think that they could have started with a SCrew and produced a truck that was 99.9% as capable and appealed to a much wider audience.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Raider50
Elder User

Thats awesome youve got to spend that much time with the truck.

But from a business standpoint IMO it would be ignorant to not make it into a crew cab. Just because it is designed to be a off road desert racer dosnt mean you couldn't use it as a grocery getter or family car. Because of the way it is priced fully loaded it isn't as expensive as a loaded platinum and the raptor has more power.

If it goes crew cab it could easily be some ones daily driver to work and then take the whole family out to dinner. It is totally different than wanting a 4 door shelby. A shelby is a 50k+ car that where i am at you can only drive 4-5 months out of the year. I need something 4 wheel drive in the winter, and the extra ground clearance would be nice so i can get around better on the ranch. Where i live You need a 4 wheel drive truck to get to my house year round. You need the clearance to get over the rail road crossing (the ties are all ****ed up and the rail road hasnt fixed it for the last 4 years) The crew cab would significantly increase sales. At the end of the day ford is still in the game to make money. So i believe it is in the best interest of the company to offer a crew cab option.

But i would get a raptor for no other reason than the 6.2 when it comes out. I would really like a new platform to expand upon. The 5.4 is ok but ive super charged mine and im still not even close to happy with it.

But if that makes my truck a ***** because i value BOTH convenience and performance then so be it, everyone is entitled to their own option.

As far as performance goes, would it really make that big of a difference? Im thinking it would have a 12in longer wheel base and probably only weigh 200-300 pounds more.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Lightbulb

glad you say you have all that experience

But I don't want a Raptor for the "Baja" aspects

I want a Raptor for the Factory Lift, 35" tires, Lockers, general badass styling, 6.2 motor (eventually...maybe)...and it's all under Factory Warranty.

I personally could care less about floating through the Baja and jumping a $40,000+ truck. I want the biggest baddest F-150 to have ever been built, that can go straight off the Factory Floor and tackle damn near anything and everything I can throw at it...provided it can fit me, wife and three kids comfortably...aka Supercrew.

And then, at the end of the day I can drive it home with a bed full of groceries. I have multiple needs of a vehicle. IMO I think many people will agree that Ford has shot themselves in the foot with Scab only production. In these days/times, you need a vehicle that can fullfill many different applications...not just a single aspect.
I can justify a monster Supercrew with the pricetag a Raptor can demand...a Supercab is utterly worthless to me, and IMO, worthless to anybody who has more than just themselves & a wife/girfriend to haul around
Hopefully that explains why the SuperCrew Raptor needs to exist. Sorry for the long post.

Quick Reply: Crew Cab Raptor? What do you think?