6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Take care of your coolant:

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
ssharber
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Premium Gold colant does have the protection in it, but after having my radiator replaced and the dealership leaving my tranny 3.5 qts low, then filling up my degas bottle from a water hose I felt I needed to check the strength of the additive. Just dont trust them anymore.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by ssharber
The Premium Gold colant does have the protection in it, but after having my radiator replaced and the dealership leaving my tranny 3.5 qts low, then filling up my degas bottle from a water hose I felt I needed to check the strength of the additive. Just dont trust them anymore.

Yeah, under those circumstances I understand your cause for concern.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
thw420
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ssharber
I had a similar experience where my transmission fluid was left low and the coolant was low as well after getting my radiator replaced. Sadly, it seems to be the norm. I wish the techs on this board worked at my local dealership, because the techs at the local dealerships seem worthless.

What is even more sad is that I feel FORD has really begun to build some really nice vehicles in the past few years. If the quality of the service department's work was anywhere near as good as the quality of the vehicles FORD is releasing, it would be a great day to own a FORD. Unfortunately this is not the case.

This could be true with other manufacturers as well, but I've only had the opportunity to deal with FORD lately.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Reave1
Senior User
The quality of the tech's has alot to do with the region you live in for the most part. There are so many Ford dealers in the US and not that many top level techs. Naturally the better techs will go to the bigger dealers that pay more. Also, I tend to look for dealers that sell alot of the Super Duty work trucks, because it will command a larger need for diesel techs. We have 6 Ford dealers in less than 20 miles here in South Jersey, and only one has good service. So using that ratio 1 out of six dealers has good tech service. That being said, I always ask to meet the guy that is set to work on my truck, because it establishes a personal connection and he will think twice about short changing me. This has allowed me to have very few issues at service, but come to think of it maybe its because I am a 6'2' 225lb potential problem for him Also, where the heck can I get gold coolant? I went to NAPA as suggested and the only thing close was Zerex G-5 or sumthing?? Any help??

Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,438 Likes on 1,029 Posts
when you go to the napa, you have to match it up by the ford spec # on the back of the bottle.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 AM
rock_doctor
Senior User
Originally Posted by Reave1
Also, where the heck can I get gold coolant? I went to NAPA as suggested and the only thing close was Zerex G-5 or sumthing?? Any help??
The Zerex G05 is the same as ford gold so that is what you want. Just be sure you know if you are getting full strength or the 50-50 mix. Either is find just make sure you get the water ratio correct.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:37 AM
hlozano
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After testing my coolant I found I needed to add 32oz of additive. However in doing so my coolant level is now way above the fill line. Should I take some out or leave it alone?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
Is the "letter" model year dependent? I live in New Mexico and ain't received no stink'n letter. Pony express must be down.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM
KC8RXQ
5th Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Coolant letter

Same here. Mine is a 2010 Super Duty, and I haven't received a notification letter from Ford either. Maybe it is model dependent or perhaps I'm at the bottom of the list as usual.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:59 PM
senix
Super Moderator
2010's should be covered in your manual I would think. BTW if you have to add that much additive then you probably should have flushed. Anything below 300 ppm should be flushed, that is what I did.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They sent these notices out for the 6.0 about a 1 or 1 1/2 years ago.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:51 AM
hlozano
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
2010's should be covered in your manual I would think. BTW if you have to add that much additive then you probably should have flushed. Anything below 300 ppm should be flushed, that is what I did.
The instructions said 800ppm to 300ppm add 32oz. So that's what I did.

"3Take Care of Your Coolant
The coolant concentration should be maintained at 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. The level of coolant should be maintained at the "COLD FILL" range in the coolant reservoir. If you suspect any coolant system leaks or lack of cooling, pressure test the cooling system. Refer to your Owner Guide for additional information.

Engine coolant system nitrite strength should be checked and serviced at the mileage or equivalent hour intervals specified by the maintenance schedule. Check coolant nitrite strength using the 3-Way Antifreeze Test Strip kit Rotunda # 328-00001 to determine if additive is required. If the nitrite strength is between 800 ppm & 300 ppm add 32 fl. oz. (946 mL) of Supplemental Coolant Additive Motorcraft VC-8 or equivalent. If nitrite strength is below 300 ppm flush & refill engine coolant (refer to Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant Change Record) – Do not add Supplemental Coolant Additive if flush & refill is required."

Old 10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by hlozano
The instructions said 800ppm to 300ppm add 32oz. So that's what I did.

"3Take Care of Your Coolant
The coolant concentration should be maintained at 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. The level of coolant should be maintained at the "COLD FILL" range in the coolant reservoir. If you suspect any coolant system leaks or lack of cooling, pressure test the cooling system. Refer to your Owner Guide for additional information.

Engine coolant system nitrite strength should be checked and serviced at the mileage or equivalent hour intervals specified by the maintenance schedule. Check coolant nitrite strength using the 3-Way Antifreeze Test Strip kit Rotunda # 328-00001 to determine if additive is required. If the nitrite strength is between 800 ppm & 300 ppm add 32 fl. oz. (946 mL) of Supplemental Coolant Additive Motorcraft VC-8 or equivalent. If nitrite strength is below 300 ppm flush & refill engine coolant (refer to Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant Change Record) – Do not add Supplemental Coolant Additive if flush & refill is required."
Good that it is in there. Was not think 32 oz though. I thought is was much less than that.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 PM
hlozano
Senior User
So back to my original question. Should I drain some of the coolant to get it back down to the proper level?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
depending on how far you may want to drain some off. I may puke if it is too far above but I cannot think of any real harm.

Quick Reply: Take care of your coolant: