Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

2006 F250 Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:25 PM
shadylemon1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F250 Steering problem

On and off for about a month I have been having steering trouble with my 06' F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4 X 4 Short Box Diesel. It started when I was making a left hand turn at about 10 mph, I didn't turn the wheel all the way, and after completing the turn it was hard to return to center. I returned the wheel to center and everything was fine. A week later the same thing, then a couple days later the same thing. This went on for about two weeks, but only when turning left. After two weeks I made a left turn and had trouble getting it back to center, and then the wheel was locking just left of center and corrected it and then it went just right of center and it kept doing that. I pulled over and turned the wheel to lockout left and right a few times and then it was fine, for a few seconds and made a right turn and it did the same thing, the wheel was whipping back and forth (driving @ about 25 mph). I continued for about 100 yards parked it for about 30 minutes, checked all of the front suspensions parts (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.), solid as a rock. I got back in it and drove down the road making lefts and rights and nothing, I thought it might be the steering dampener. I bought one, dealer only part, which I didn't change for a few days and nothing happened. I changed the steering dampener and for a couple days nothing and then it happend again, wheel oscilation/whipping back and forth. I pulled over and did the same thing in a parking lot, turn the wheel back and forth and turned in circles left and right and it was gone. I just put on new tires today and now the wheel isn't as responsive, a little delay when you turn it. When turning the wheel slightly to the left its like there is a high spot, like trying to turn the wheel up a curb from a stop. Can anyone please give me some advice? I checked for a Recall or TSB and nothing. I really don't want to have to take it to the dealership if I don't have to!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Harleyd79
New User
2006 Harley Davidson F250 steering issue

I have a 2006 Harley Davidson F250 and back in January I had my truck towed into the Ford dealer as the truck had jelled up due to cold weather. While at the dealership they took it for a test drive and wrecked it into a tree. Damaged the drivers side front quarter panel, hood and rim. All had to be replaced along with the power steering pump and hydroboost line. When I got it back 30 days later, the steering had the same issue as below, but only happened once a day and then would self correct. Today driving into work it was turning to the right and then when I would pull it back it would over compensate and go to the left. I had to fight it all the way to work (16 miles) doing this back and forth - right to left. As I was pulling into work it seemed to self correct again. I have called the Ford dealer several times about my problem and they told me they would have to have a mechanic ride along with me to try and figure it out. That's great, but it doesn't happen all the time, so I didn't want to waste my time or theirs. The first time I took it back to them, they had not tightened any of the connections down to the power steering pump they replaced, but I don't know if this has any relevance since they have tightened everything down now and there are no leaks. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I was wondering how shadylemon1 resolved their issue.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 AM
shadylemon1
New User
Harleyd79 I took it to the dealer and they replaced the right front knuckle which was around $900, upper and lower ball joints had to be replaced during the knuckle repair. Then a few months later the same thing happened except it was driver's side this time and it was around $1000 this time. I hope this helps. From what you're describing it sounds like you've got a power steering problem, possibly a bad pump or some type of blockage given that it happens occasionally. Good luck with finding a solution to your problem!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Harleyd79
New User
2006 Harley Davidson F250 steering problem

The Ford Dealer called today and said it was the right front U-joint. He was 99% sure this was causing my problem. I should have it back tomorrow with about $500 - $600 less out of my pocket. I will post again to let you know if this fixed it or not. I have my doubts that this is it, since the problem started after they wrecked my truck.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Harleyd79
New User
2006 Harley Davidson F250 steering issue

Got the truck back on the 10th and so far the steering seems to be working good. Hopefully this fixes it, but with my luck the left front U-joint will go out soon and need to be replaced.
Thanks for your help Shadylemon1.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:42 PM
O43x
New User
Originally Posted by Harleyd79
Got the truck back on the 10th and so far the steering seems to be working good. Hopefully this fixes it, but with my luck the left front U-joint will go out soon and need to be replaced.
Thanks for your help Shadylemon1.
I have a similar problem with my truck (2006 F250 Super Duty 4WD, 6.0) I bought new tires last week, took it on the freeway and could not stay in my lane, the truck was all over the place. Took it to my mechanic and was told it was the steering box....long story short, replaced steering box and had it aligned, it's better, just not as good as I would like it.

Seems slow to react to steering corrections, almost like there's a delay in the steering.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:29 PM
m54sam
New User
Same thing is going on with my truck, its pretty nasty when it happens. Had a local indie look at it, replaced the steering box because it was making noise...was fine for a day then started yanking from the right to the left and wont stay in the center again. Parked it in the driveway, will be replacing the steering pump next.