6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Just a thought on the new 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:58 PM
2005Dually
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just a thought on the new 6.7

These are just a few thoughts i had on the new 6.7 diesel slated out at some point in the near future. I know there are some doom and gloom guys and there are some optimists out there. Taking a look back at the 7.3 you see that this motor got better and better as the years went by. The you see the introduction of the powerstroke version of the 7.3 and things got a little messy for a min. As they stuck with the motor it became a very good diesel. Then the 6.0 side swiped everyone. There was and initial response of wow then a resounding wtf? The first two years were choppy but then the 05's showed promise with a new grille and dash and updated engine mods. Just as the 6.0 started to get to be good in 07, they had to pull the plug and trade for a 6.4. Now the point of this novel, if anyone is still reading,lol, is to say I dont think it is fair to blame the engine for its early faults. The newer diesels were never given the chance to become great. I believe the 6.0 could have been the greatest light diesel ever had it been given enough time to grow. In the first few months and most likely years, here are the things you are going to see on the fte fourms about the 6.7-water in fuel-fuel in cab-turbo blew up and then later found on moon-coolant coming through sunroof ect.lol But as time goes on and if the epa allows you will see less and less of these negative messages and more and more of the good ones until one day the new motor will be a legend just like the company that built it. Just a random thought

Old 06-17-2009, 06:05 PM
2005Dually
Freshman User
Just to add one more quick thing. Remember, ford was the first out with vgt's and fully electronic diesel engines and a whole myraid of tech advances the other guys were unwilling to try. The 6.4's dpf system isnt flawless but its the best out there right now. These engines are just babies and there are already setting the pace for the future. Keep a weather eye out, Ford will always be at the forefront of diesel technology

Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 AM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
I hope the 6.7 is great. I'll be ready to upgrade to a dually in the next 18 months. I'm not crazy about the 6.4 because of the mileage.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
valdor
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2005Dually
Just to add one more quick thing. Remember, ford was the first out with vgt's and fully electronic diesel engines and a whole myraid of tech advances the other guys were unwilling to try. The 6.4's dpf system isnt flawless but its the best out there right now. These engines are just babies and there are already setting the pace for the future. Keep a weather eye out, Ford will always be at the forefront of diesel technology
From what i could gather, most 6.0p/stroke gripes were more down to warranty issues people encountered. But i agree, the 6.7 should be given time to grow. Am sure it will because its Fords own engine and they wouldnt wanna look for a replacement given that the development must have been a humongous investment.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 6.0L was a mistake from the get-go the way Navistar and Ford cut some important corners. It could have been a reasonably good diesel engine had the companies not cut corners where they did. The 6.4L fixed some of those issues like the weak head bolts. The 6.7L is a whole new animal from what I'm reading about it. I think Peugot helped develop it. Europeans do know diesel tech pretty well. With the new injection set up and everything that this engine is going to have, it should be the best yet. But after the 6.0L I'll reserve judgement until they have been out awhile. I can't afford another expensive 6.0L experiment.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
jonesy302
Freshman User
remember the maintenance

As far a 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and now 6.7.....All these engines are good, they are strong, as well as now even quieter, but with the 40-50,000 price tag we all must remember that using quality ford spec oil(we use 10/30 rotella in everything), coolant changes at 20k, fuel filter changes every 10k+ this will allow your diesel to maintain at its peak performance. Installing chips only cause problems, yeah and i know black smoke don't mean its broke! ,but if you build it to break it it will leave you stranded. I know sometimes its hard to keep up with the maintenance but its the only way. I work on em , I know. Parts will always fail, but there is always a reason. Next time you change your oil, feel it between your fingers, when it stains your fingers, you waited too long to change it, even if you were before your milage( how hard do you work it?) We all miss the 7.3 but federal emissions won't allow us to run without egr, and dpf. Ford coolant sucks and breaks down too early and causes all kinds of problems when the coolant looses its lubricity and starts corroding instead of protecting. The new 6.7 is amazing, it will burn dually rubber through 3 of 6 gears. Good will come of the new generation of diesel, but all in time. You don't have to believe me but most of you don't work on em'

Old 07-13-2009, 07:31 PM
big yeller
Junior User
Hay jonesy302.
welcome to FTE. Its everybodies input that makes this forum great.
My question is concerning your coolant statement. Do you have any info or place for me to check out info about Fords poor coolant. I want to get as much out of my truck as I
can.And if that means changing the coolant every 20,000 then so be it.

Thanks in advance, Howard

Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jonesy302
The new 6.7 is amazing, it will burn dually rubber through 3 of 6 gears.

How do you know this?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:17 PM
jonesy302
Freshman User
re: remember the maintenance

My coolant/dually statement comes from working in the Ford Diesel development field for the last 8 years. You probably will never find any thing on the coolant,because its been said to be the greatest stuff since sliced bread, but my advice to you is to check its glycol protection to see if it has began to break down. The 6.0 is a coolant eatin s.o.b. and for some reason causes early breakdown and pitting behind the water pump. I personally love the 6.0L. I think with engineering working as hard as they are, that all issues will be resolved soon and better parts will emerge, i think they ended the 6.0L too soon, but the world demanded a cleaner diesel and so we march on. These trucks are not easy to work on or diagnose its problems. but forems like tihs hopefully can help.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jonesy302;
The new 6.7 is amazing, it will burn dually rubber through 3 of 6 gears.
And you know this how??

Old 07-15-2009, 06:21 PM
jonesy302
Freshman User
with my foot on the pedal.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Question

Originally Posted by jonesy302
with my foot on the pedal.
And this pedal was in what?

Old 07-16-2009, 04:05 PM
jonesy302
Freshman User
origicharger, i am afraid we are not on the same page and i've already said too much. I will lastly say i have seen these trucks in action in Michigan on the roads, but covered with camo to block their body changes. They are the most quiet diesel i have ever heard in a ford truck, and pulling off from a dead stop at the light one of em' blew the 6.4 i was driving away

Old 07-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's promising. Coming from Ford/Peugot I'm not totally surprised. Now if it gets better economy and is more reliable and not as expensive to maintain, I'll be interested. Now if Ford could just figure out a way to keep that iron moss off the sides of their trucks that would be the greatest innovation known to man.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:07 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greg B
Now if Ford could just figure out a way to keep that iron moss off the sides of their trucks that would be the greatest innovation known to man.
What is this iron moss of which you speak?

Quick Reply: Just a thought on the new 6.7