Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Thinking about a Lightning...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Dustball8504
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about a Lightning...

Hey all, I'm thinking about giving up my 07 GT Mustang and getting an 03-04 Lightning. Can anyone tell me how good these trucks perform and such? How much power can be had out of the stock 5.4 without it popping? How well built is the 4r100 that goes into these trucks? What mpg is everyone seeing in these things, right now my daily driver is the truck in my sig and it just doesn't get it for mileage (12-14mpg). And lastly, how comfortable are these trucks to maybe take long trips in? Thanks for the help!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustball8504
Hey all, I'm thinking about giving up my 07 GT Mustang and getting an 03-04 Lightning. Can anyone tell me how good these trucks perform and such?
That's kind of a broad question, but I'll do my best to try and answer it.

The Gen 2 Lightnings do well in the 1/4 mile, and are easy to launch. Easy as in, after a couple times of practice, I'd wager that any driver would know how to properly launch an L, and if necessary, feather the pedal.

The stock suspension is a true truck suspension, and allows you to use it as a truck (like I do. My L is my work truck), but it still does well on the autocross tracks...for a truck.

How much power can be had out of the stock 5.4 without it popping?
A lot. It all depends on the type of mods, and the tuning. The general consensus say's as you near the 450/500 rear wheel HP mark, you're pushing the limits of the PMR's. But there have been factory freak trucks who's owners have pushed them well beyond that number, and most of the credit has been attributed to the tuning.

How well built is the 4r100 that goes into these trucks?
Solid. They take a lot of power. They have the same internals as the PSD 4R100's.

What mpg is everyone seeing in these things, right now my daily driver is the truck in my sig and it just doesn't get it for mileage (12-14mpg).
That all depends on your mods and your right foot. But generally speaking, about what you're getting now...12 to 14 mpg. Plus, the minimum octane you can use is 91. But for most of us, its Smiles Per Gallon, not miles.

And lastly, how comfortable are these trucks to maybe take long trips in? Thanks for the help!!!
Very subjective, but for me, I love the comfort of my L. I can sit in it for a long drive to my brothers place (3.5hrs) or even down to SoCal, which is over 6 hours away. Plus, I have a bad sciatic nerve with lower back troubles.

We camp in Yosemite every year and a couple times I ended up taking it, and I had no problems with the 4 hour drive, loaded with camping gear.

Stewart

Old 06-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dustball8504
How much power can be had out of the stock 5.4 without it popping? How well built is the 4r100 that goes into these trucks?
I know of a Ford GT running around with twin turbos and a stock block, crank, rods, and 2V heads making 881 RWHP. Saleen builds all of their S7s with a stock 5.4 block and heads.

The tranny is very strong, they put it in the Super Duties, and if you look around any construction site, you are bound to see mostly Super Duties doing all towing and pulling.

Whether you keep it stock, or build it to the max, they are a lot of fun to drive, except in the snow.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Matts72
I know of a Ford GT running around with twin turbos and a stock block, crank, rods, and 2V heads making 881 RWHP. Saleen builds all of their S7s with a stock 5.4 block and heads.
Those GT blocks are baddazz!!! But you can't really compare the GT 5.4L aluminum block with the iron 5.4L block used in the Gen 2 L's. They are two different animals.

There are Lightnings running around with the aluminum Ford GT blocks, so they can be used, but they are two very different blocks, with the GT block being much, much stronger.

The aluminum blocks are sleeved and have thicker cylinder walls, plus they have a dry sump oiling system that needs to be adapted to run the wet sump system the L's utilize.

Without throwing tens of thousands of dollars at your L, the iron block can basically withstand whatever you do to it. It's the PMR rods that come stock in the engine that are the weak link.

The rule of thumb is you need to upgrade to forged rods if you go over 500hp.

Stewart