Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Mustang vs Lightning (Bang for the buck)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-1999, 11:50 PM
whoisthetrucknut
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In an head to head, which is faster, a Mustang GT or a new Lightning? Does the Lightning really corner better? I find this hard to believe, is IRS on the Lightning or something? I need an unbiased opinion, hopefully from someone who's owned both.

Old 12-24-1999, 11:49 AM
StrangeRanger
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from all reports, the Lightning is quicker in the 1/4 than the Mustang GT (which is quicker than the Cobra, but that's another story.) The Mustang will out-corner and out-brake the Lightning 3200# v. 4800# and delivers twice the mileage for a lot less money. If you include some minor mods, to offset the price difference the Mustang will be as quick or quicker than the Lightning. But you cannot tow 5000# or haul 1500# with the Mustang.

Not bad-mouthing the Lightning in any sense. It is an awesome truck, but it is a truck and cannot be expected to run with a performance car in all aspects. You pays your money and you takes your choice. If money is no object (don't we all wish!) get a Lightning to tow the Mustang!!

Old 01-23-2000, 04:54 PM
robertc
New User

Take it from me there is a Mustang GT around that
has be me yet. My Lightning is quicker and it han-
dles better. Yes I have done a few things to it but not that much. Even before the mods it should
of been faster than the Mustang GT. You'd have
more fun in a Lightning and the insurance is ALOT
cheaper too!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:29 PM
monster693
New User
I have an 07 mustang gt and I just bought an 03 lightning. The lightning is faster then the mustang in stock form but you can easily pull 500hp out of the mustang by bolting on a supercharger. It's a toss up between the two. The mustang is a lot of fun to drive and handles better then the lightning but is not very practical. The lightning will beat the mustang in a drag race and can tow a boat. I drive the lightning back and forth to work and the mustang on the weekends or to chase girls. It would be very hard for me to pick between the two if I had to get rid of one. Also I am getting 21 mph in the mustang on 87 octane and the truck gets around 14 it looks like on premium.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM
bigblack302
Junior User
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
from all reports, the Lightning is quicker in the 1/4 than the Mustang GT (which is quicker than the Cobra, but that's another story.) The Mustang will out-corner and out-brake the Lightning 3200# v. 4800# and delivers twice the mileage for a lot less money. If you include some minor mods, to offset the price difference the Mustang will be as quick or quicker than the Lightning. But you cannot tow 5000# or haul 1500# with the Mustang.

Not bad-mouthing the Lightning in any sense. It is an awesome truck, but it is a truck and cannot be expected to run with a performance car in all aspects. You pays your money and you takes your choice. If money is no object (don't we all wish!) get a Lightning to tow the Mustang!!

haha great post!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bigblack302
haha great post!
Especially since this thread is 8 and a half years old.

Stewart

Old 05-24-2008, 03:16 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How is it that people drag up posts this old?

Old 05-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I figure they're reading old posts after doing a search, see a post that makes them wanna respond, but they don't look at the date so they don't realize how old a thread may be.

This deserves the ancient thread award.

(photo not directed at anyone...just thought it was funny)

Stewart

Old 05-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Challenger08
Freshman User
Originally Posted by whoisthetrucknut
In an head to head, which is faster, a Mustang GT or a new Lightning? Does the Lightning really corner better? I find this hard to believe, is IRS on the Lightning or something? I need an unbiased opinion, hopefully from someone who's owned both.
i "owned" both with my dodge ram 5.7 HEMI

Old 05-31-2008, 08:32 PM
73strokin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Challenger08
i "owned" both with my dodge ram 5.7 HEMI

Why don't you put that HEMI up against a real engine like a Powerstroke and then see who's owning who!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 73strokin
Why don't you put that HEMI up against a real engine like a Powerstroke and then see who's owning who!
Don't worry, unless that Hemi of his has some serious aftermarket "go-fast" parts on it, he's full of the poo-poo.

Not even the vaunted Viper powered SRT-10, with it's 8.3L V-10 engine, could consistently beat a Gen 2 Lightning, stock for stock, in the 1/4 mile. It came down to the driver (mainly, who was behind the wheel of the Dodge) a lot of times.

Stewart

Old 05-31-2008, 10:42 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Don't worry, unless that Hemi of his has some serious aftermarket "go-fast" parts on it, he's full of the poo-poo.
Or he went up against a guy in a regular F150 dressed up to look like a Lightning! I've beat too many Hemis with my Roush, which weighs much more than a Lightning, to take his boast about his Hemi seriously. Its funny how often those guys think they've got a real hot truck just because it says Hemi on it!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
alright if y'all want to race a Powerstroke put it up against a Cummins not a gas....duh

oh and a roush f150 has a supercharger up against a stock hemi. don't you feel a little bad?

Old 06-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
yea... well ive killed some cummins in my powerstroke....

Old 06-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Dr. Dirt
oh and a roush f150 has a supercharger up against a stock hemi. don't you feel a little bad?
Why should Ken feel bad? The foolish man named Challenger08 is the one making ludicrous claims regarding his hemi, without qualifying what he did to his truck that would back up his claim.

For Challenger08 to simply post his hemi has "owned" a Gen 2 L, with nothing else to fill in the Grand Canyon of info regarding his vehicle, is bad. He's implying his Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi is stock, when there aint no way that's true, if in fact he's been able to beat a real Gen 2 L on the track.

Stewart

Quick Reply: Mustang vs Lightning (Bang for the buck)