new engine lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:08 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
When you turn the idle mix screws, you are leaning out the mix when you turn them 'closed', and richening it when you 'unscrew' them.
I've been thru Dillon, used to live in Boulder and Glen Haven, but a long time ago.

If you have hammered valve stem tips, there is a problem in looseness of the rocker arm on the shaft or your geometry. Does the rocker arm wobble around a lot? How about the other valve stem tips? What does the valve end of the rocker arm look like.
You may have started to get the noise with the plug wire disconnected because the rocker hammered the tip enough to wear it a little more. You may have been at the very last in lifter travel on this valve, and it cannot extend any more to take up clearance.
tom

Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM
66flareside
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am running 9.59 pushrods right now, and I have a set of 9.63 from the original 352. should I try them? I realize I need to check valve lash first, but I have a hard time getting the lifters to bleed down....

Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Try just put a feeler gauge in between the rocker tip and the valve stem tip .002 and up 004 and see if your noise goes a way..As the you raise the rpm ..
orich

Old 06-12-2009, 02:01 PM
66flareside
Senior User
o.k so I think I figured it out.
I was pushing down on the back of the rocker to bleed down the lifter, and I was putting a feeler gauge between the rocker and valve, whan I noticed the valve was moving all around. I could grab the whole valve, valve spring and wiggle it back and forth. no other valves did this. just #3 exhaust valve.
and after looking closer at the valve tip, there is a definate "ridge" around the tip of the valve......is there a way to fix this with the head on? or is the whole head going back to the machine shop?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Sounds like the valve guide is wiped (or the valve stem is shot) or it's the wrong valve stem diameter. I'd think removing the head is a must.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
66flareside
Senior User
does that make sense that it would make that much noise? my co worker thought it had a "puff" sound to it.....
Idid a compression check and it was with the other cylinders at around 120

Old 06-12-2009, 04:23 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
OH yeah, it'll tick. And if the guide is really wiped out (or just plain missing, I've seen some weird stuff done by machine shops), you'll get exhaust coming up around the valve stem.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 PM
66flareside
Senior User
great!!! than that settles it... the heads are coming off..(might as well have both checked).
at least now I feel confident in knowing what the problem is. I have no problem pulling the heads off, at least the engine can stay in the truck. now the bottom end.....I was leary about trying to tackle that one.

thanks so much krewat, tomw, orich, kettle-one, barry-R and everyone else for all the help.
and for putting up with me for over 80 posts!!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Not a problem, it was a weird one.

Give rep points to those who helped you.

There are two icons on the right side of their posts. Hover the mouse pointer over the one that says "add to so-and-so's reputation" - should be the one with the green dot.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 PM
66flareside
Senior User
yeah, i'm familiar with that. now I just constantly get the "spread it around damn it" windows that pops up. at least thats how I see it.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Now who did the heads ??or were they altogether when you got the motor ?? You going to take the heads to the same guy that build your motor?? hmmm I Went to a very well known shop here in San Jose. Well I ended up with 3 wrist pin bushing off set on the oil hole which would of end later in pin failure. I returned and told the guy who did them, That I came to this shop Not to get work done like this..And they build race motors at that. Yup fe's I see there's even on ebay and C/List too..So anything can happen at a shop while there building a motor. coffee breaks, phone calls and so on. Good luck. my 2cents
orich

Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 PM
66flareside
Senior User
a machine shop in denver who shall remain nameless (unless you really want to know). I bought all the stuff off of a guy who had all the reciepts from the work done by the place in denver. I took everything back to the same machine shop to have the short block built. The short block was built by the owner himself, I know that. anyone there could have done the work to the heads........and yeah, your right, coffee break, 1 hour to go on friday......I'm not sure if I'm going to go back there or not. I am going to call him and tell him about it and see what kind of feeling I get from him. we'll see.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
orich
Lead Driver
I'd take it to him and show them some of there great work that came out of there shop. Then, I see what they will do for you.
orich

Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 66flareside
a machine shop in denver who shall remain nameless (unless you really want to know).......I'm not sure if I'm going to go back there or not. I am going to call him and tell him about it and see what kind of feeling I get from him. we'll see.
I'd like to know, but did not want to ask the question in your thread. It would be fine to email that answer to me at hypoids.haus at yahoo dot com.

We had a thread for machine shops going in the Colorado Chapter, but even that is kind of old.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 PM
66flareside
Senior User
I plan on taking it to him with in the next week or so. now that I know the problem, I'm pretty motivated to fix it.

Quick Reply: new engine lifter noise