1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Cash for clunkers on the verge of reality

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM
BikerDude
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash for clunkers on the verge of reality

Hot off the presses today. Unreal. Let's use our tax money to basically buy someones car so they can take the money out and buy a new one. Never mind they may be driving the "clunker" because they can't afford new car payments in the first place. Oh, maybe Oprah will give them money. Of my box now. Save the classics!!

In the wake of General Motors filing for bankruptcy and Chrysler emerging from it, the Senate is poised to approve a "cash for clunkers" program as early as Wednesday.
Sens. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., and Sam Brownback, R-Kan., introduced an amendment Tuesday that would set up a program that allows consumers with older, less fuel efficient vehicles to trade in their "clunker" for a voucher worth up to $4,500 toward the purchase of a new car that must get at least 22 miles per gallon or an SUV or pickup that gets at least 18 mpg -- clearly a focus on U.S. manufacturers.
The one-year program is expected to help sell 1 million vehicles, according to Stabenow and Brownback.
The definition of "clunker" is a vehicle that gets 18 mpg or less, and the voucher size varies. Owners who purchase a new passenger car that gets at least 4 mpg higher than their old "clunker" get a $3,500 voucher. If the mileage difference is more than 10 mpg, the consumer gets the full $4,500.
Buyers of small trucks and SUV's fare better. If the new vehicle gets at least 2 mpg more than the "clunker," a $3,500 voucher is issued; for new trucks or SUV's getting more than 2 mpg, the new car owner gets $4,500.
The trickier problem of navigating the House could be solved soon, a senior Senate Democratic leadership aide told FOX News It appeared, according to the source, that House leaders have agreed to accept the Senate bill, if it passes.
The Stabenow-Brownback amendment would be attached to a larger bill that grants the Food and Drug Administration new authority to regulate tobacco products. Final passage of this bill is expected to come likely next week, the aide said.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
From what else I have read the vehicle that is traded in must be of fairly recent vintage as it must have a federal mileage rating on record. The federal mileage ratings go back to 1985 when they began. Anything earlier than that has no ratings and therefore no comparison can be made between that old car and a new car. Since this will be a government run program you can be sure the system will insist on the clunkers EPA rated mileage in order to determine which cash level one gets.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Matters not, they better be well armed if they come to take any of my old clunkers.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Caleb H
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
First it's put out as some sort of program to "help the people," and in ten years it will probably end up as a mandate. It will just be another part of our lives for the government to control...

Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
flipklos
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once again I got a 24 yearold truck that gets 17mpg. What motivation do I have to rid of it?

They will take my truck over my dead body. Same with guns, freedom of speech, and voting rights.

Does anyone remeber the last time there was nationalized auto sales? 1937, Germany, on the eve of WWII. Sound funky?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 AM
billy12360
Elder User
Originally Posted by flipklos
Once again I got a 24 yearold truck that gets 17mpg. What motivation do I have to rid of it?

They will take my truck over my dead body. Same with guns, freedom of speech, and voting rights.

Does anyone remeber the last time there was nationalized auto sales? 1937, Germany, on the eve of WWII. Sound funky?
agreed... my 63 hovers around 20 miles to the gallon... not 100% for sure on exact... but it averaged out to 20 mpg highway and freeway miles... cause i put 3 gallons in one day... and drove 60 miles before i ran out of gas... 3 into 60 is about 20... (but gotta also factor in the little bit of extra driving i did after the 3 gallons went in... but also have to add the last of the gallon i put in it to get to town... but figure between 18-22 MPGs)

same with my guns freedom of speech... my truck... and my voting rights... i will have to be yhelling at some one tring to load up the gun and on the way to the voting booth and wrap my truck around a tree before they can have em...

Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Boy oh boy talk about freaking out a little. First no one is going to TAKE your 63, 64, 65 or whatever and second they aren't going to give you anything for your 63, 64, 65 or whatever since it is older than 1985 and does not have a documented mileage rating.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
tooterturtle
Senior User
I agree with tbm3fan...first, you have to read the fine (or in this case, not so fine) print. The vehicle MUST have a doccumented EPA mileage rating or it doesn't qualify.

Second, it is a choice as to turning in your vehicle to obtain the purchase subsidy. Any vehicle 1984 and older DOES NOT QUALIFY!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:37 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
"Second, it is a choice as to turning in your vehicle to obtain the purchase subsidy. Any vehicle 1984 and older DOES NOT QUALIFY!!!!!!!! "(wrote by tooterturtle)

Just wait-It will start out being your choice to turn the old post EPA rated classic vehicle in --then it will be forced on you to turn the vehicle in after some laws get changed. It is only a matter of time. If post EPA rated vehicles are a target now-do you really think that vehicles with NO emissions controls will be overlooked?
Do you think that Washington really understands the need to keep these 50 year old polluting vehicles when the Planet is in trouble??

Or they will tax it to death. The excuse will be inefficency and emissions. The Planet cant be denied. GM/Govt Motors will have a nice electric go kart pickup ready for you for only 45k!!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:08 PM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
Originally Posted by phoneman91
Or they will tax it to death. The excuse will be inefficency and emissions. The Planet cant be denied. GM/Govt Motors will have a nice electric go kart pickup ready for you for only 45k!!
LAWLz, that's hilarious! But probably true...

Old 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by IsoGrifo
LAWLz, that's hilarious! But probably true...
Scary what will happen in the future!