2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots vs Private Sellers

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:59 AM
ZWilson07
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots vs Private Sellers

Ok as just about everyone can agree they dont like buying a truck especially one that is used from a lot for obvious reasons, but as I have been searching for trucks and will continue in the future it seems as if im stuck in between 2 hard places. 1. even though youll prolly get a better deal from a private seller its still hard to find what you want especially the newer it is from just a random private seller in good condition and theres a reason y their selling it, but also on going to lots it seems as if everything is over priced and more than its worth. if you go to a bigger lot that you feel more comfortable with its hard to get them to drop price very much and almost everything is way over priced, but if you go to just smaller lots around town to where u can sometimes get a better deal because their wanting the sale, its hard to trust the lot and the people selling the vehicles and worrying that the vehicles are crap. so whats the best way to go about buying a truck, im looking for a 2004 supercab 4x4 whether that be FX4 or just xl or xlt with 4x4 on it, im still in the used category and very hard to find a good one from some private seller but lots are wanting way more than what their worth. any thoughts

Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just be patient and keep looking. I wouldn't rule out an 05 or 06 either, as the price won't be that much higher. In this economy they are out there. You might have better luck at a dealer or car lot because there still are quite a few lease returns coming back in. But lease returns are going to be drying up in a year or two because Ford is trying to avoid leasing as much as possible now. That should put a little upward pressure on used prices when lease returns dry up. I see by your post that you are from Louisville. Is that Kentucky? If so, pick up and Indiana Auto RV and leaf thru it. It's free at many convenience stores and retailers. There are many dealers (both new and used) that advertise there, and most have web sites that you can brouse. And then price out any vehicle that you might be interested in on Kelly Blue Book or NADA.com from a retail, private seller, and trade in value perspective to give you a good idea of what the value might be. Be patient and don't be afraid to walk away if the price isn't right.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Pony Hauler
Senior User
ask for a carfax on any vehicle you are serious about. It might not be complete, but it will be better than buying it blind.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cash or Pre-financed works wonders

go in there with a hard bottom line, and be serious. It may take 1-2 days, but they'll play ball.

Carlots aren't exactly swamped with people these days. Go in with a good idea what the truck is worth, make an offer and leave.

btw, if you find one, post it up here for us. We can give you some pointers and pricing on it.

remember, walking away never hurts. don't let yourself get dry screwed

Old 05-31-2009, 05:03 PM
AlbusPlaustrum06
Senior User
When I was going to lots for a couple days I had the mind set that I am doing them a favor buying a vehicle. Never the other way around. You have all the power in the simple word of "no". No means they don't get money for the day if they hear it to often.

Never drool unless it is an obvious steal you are about to get. Everything is negotiable also. I had one dealer willing to drop the price and swap the wheels on one truck I was looking at but they also ended up losing the sell due to attitude from not just the salesman but his manager. Buddy with me mentioned the 5.4L and the plug issue...they never heard of any problem with the plugs being changed and if the service department was open they would back them on their never been a problem.

Also knowing what the value is on the vehicle and how much you have in hand/approved for is huge advantage in dealing with any seller. Never fall for the "I am losing money on this sell" crap either...no one sells anything to lose money if you have not even haggled with them yet. Only vehicle I might have gotten close on that magical "losing money on this sell" is a Pontiac LeMans I got for $500 that looks like it had been stolen and rammed into a tree/pole backwards. But I am pretty sure that dealer got the car for under $500...it was a POS.