1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 PM
LNF150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Pump

My PSP is behaving like a pants crapping terror. I can't figure out the leak. The pumps exterior is clean of any fluid, yet I have a drip coming off the cross member below. So if it is the hydraulic lines, are they both equal in pressure or is one greater then the other? Then if so, which is which and has Anyone had to deal with this before And is it a bisnatch to change out those lines or should I get a whole new set up complete with lines, pump, bla bla?
Thanks guys and gals for any advise,
LNF150

Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The tanks are notorious for leaking, One side is high pressure the other is not.

The high pressure goes pump to gearbox.
Low pressure goes gearbox to cooler to pump.

It's typically either the tank or return lines, you'll know when it's a pressure hose...

I just did all the lines and yes they are a PITA to do!
If you have big mitts or broken up hands like mine it's a real killer!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,781 Likes on 1,439 Posts
I have had the hard line that runs in a circle on the front of the crossmember get pinholes in it and leak. I guess they run it that way for a make-shift oil cooler.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:13 PM
86bigred
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I have had the hard line that runs in a circle on the front of the crossmember get pinholes in it and leak. I guess they run it that way for a make-shift oil cooler.

i agree with this.it looks like a pita to change as well.just look under your truck and it's mounted on the front of the crossmember.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:10 AM
webrx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also take a look at the lower steering box seal if you have fluid on teh cross member - mine has a leak at the pittman arm (comes out of the steering box). But when we first started trackign down the leak we thought is was from the pump as this sets right above the centerlink to pittman arm connection. once I got all the farm gunk off the centerlink, steering box and ps pump, I was able to determine the actual issue was the steering box lower seal.

Just a thought

Dave