Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Need help with a truck bed pool

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help with a truck bed pool

Well tomorrow is my last day of school , so I'm trying to go over the top crazy, thus I am making a pool out of my truck bed. So far things are going well, its about half full and only has squated 2 inches, but I'm wanting to be able to heat the water, and am thinking about routing my exhaust using some cheap dryer vent tubing, but will this ruin my water??

Also I've gotten a couple of small leaks, any ideas how to patch them without draining it and starting again.

Please no one make fun of me, this is my last chance to do something nuts, and well I know ya'll would do it if ya'll had 3 hot hot hot chicks promise they would get in with you in bikinnis.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 PM
imboostedru
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be able to patch it with some pool patch stuff. You can use that stuff with the water still in it. Now the exhaust heater may be a bigger problem. If you run exhaust straight into the water it will turn black.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM
F250FarmBoy
Elder User
Lol...this reminds me of some youtube clip where some guy duck taped a tarp in his bed and used exhaust to heat it.....moron hahaha, not you though!

Maybe if you plumbed the exhaust THROUGH the water, but still exiting into the air it might heat it up alittle....at least enough to not get THO . If it were me, I live 30-35 mins away from school, that water would get warm, I'd think

Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Line the bed with some heavy plastic, put the water inside the plastic.

30 feet of heater hose, disconnect the heater core hoses and hook up the long piece and through it in the bed in a coil.
You would probably have to add some coolant to make up for the extra in the bed line.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Dave, I've done the first thing, except I used some real thin blue tarp instead of plastic, but if I ever do this again I will get plastic

I'll try the heater hose, I've got plenty of it lying around so I'll give it a try, also I'm gonna boil 10 gallons of water with my torch then pour that into the bed before I head out to school, but man its weird driving this rig because of how the water starts rocking then starts sloshing and whipps the whole truck around.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You think that throws you around, You ought to try driving a clean bore 45' tanker with a half load! Or a set of doubles half full!

Smooooooth, plan your moves... Stops and turns!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 PM
jmmartin
Elder User
I am glad to know there is another crazy Texican out there!!!!! We did that, w/o the heater one year in my chevy, and in the same way, find a friend who works at a place with a LARGE Ice Maker, (hint hint). Weekends will never be the same with a truck bed cooler... (oops, did i just say that?)

Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When your load can and does move, rides take on a much more interesting experience.

Kinda like swinging meat, moves in four directions and the entire load is hanging from the ceiling thirteen and a half feet above the ground.
Talk about a high center of gravity.

I have about 4 million miles of that under my belt, all at rather high speeds no matter what was on the road.
Sunny, pouring rain, blowing snow, deep snow or glare ice made no difference, the meat houses wanted the meat on time every time.

Which way the road slopes suddenly make a huge difference in the way you make corners and how fast you can do it.
And pay close attention to every vehicle anywhere close to you, cause 50% of the drivers in those vehicles are doing everything but driving their vehicle.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
redbug
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If its sunny out cover the bottom of your pool with black plastic trash bags... Solar heat should warm things up nicely...

Yes, be careful with the water, I believe there is a special CDL license just to drive a tanker truck.... Tanker trucks usually have baffles to slow down the movement of the liquids...

Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
diesel_daze_ray
New User
Water is about 8 lbs per gallon. So, measure the bed to get volume. Know what yer haulin', you ain't the only one on the road. Sounds like fun. Let us know how it turns out. Pics of yer company would be appreciated.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might consider that the cold water may have an interesting effect on the "perkiness" of your guests' ummm, uhhh, front, yeah the front, thats it.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Mat J
Senior User
iv seen it done a few times around here people use tarps or iv seen a small kids pool put in the bed. havnt seen them driven on the street just at the mud ralleys and stuff.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 PM
gfemling
New User
Originally Posted by diesel_daze_ray
Water is about 8 lbs per gallon. So, measure the bed to get volume. Know what yer haulin', you ain't the only one on the road. Sounds like fun. Let us know how it turns out. Pics of yer company would be appreciated.
think the factor you want to use is 64 pounds per cubic foot-- for a 4X8X1.5 volume this would be about 3000 pounds!

Old 06-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by diesel_daze_ray
That last sentence is classic! LMAO!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:06 AM
chubyboy
Senior User
hmmm, i might have to do this... maybe for the wedding...3000 lbs, im sure thats within a 3/4 ton trucks load range...worst case scenario u will be squattin...try to avoid the DOT police...they LOVE pulling over squattin trucks, even if they may not be overloaded

Quick Reply: Need help with a truck bed pool